Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Gift Card

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

I just got a £50 amazon gift card through for my birthday with a suggestion to get some photography gear. I am feeling kind of stumped for ideas, I've looked at camera bags but nothing really grabs me. Any suggestions?

Lisa

12-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that you can buy virtually anything on Amazon, I might broaden the scope if nothing else within the realm of photography comes to mind. You could also use the money toward the purchase of something bigger, like a lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What have you got? What do you like to shoot?
You can always go for some SD Cards/spare batteries.
12-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
In terms of my gear, K-S2 & kit lens, 28-300 Sigma, 100mm Pentax 2.8 macro, 50mm prime (film era) lens, tripods, ring light, various filters

12-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you like portraits, best thing you can do for that amount is get a flash like a Godox manual. You can create so many awesomely lit portraits with 1-3 off camera flashes and a simple manual trigger. It's best to attach some to stands/umbrellas but you can also do bouncing off white walls. You can also create new macro shots by having light coming from different directions instead of a ring lighting, even though that's cool too. For under $100, flashes were the absolute best bang for the buck in my portrait photography.
12-14-2019, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Birthday! What a nice gift!

I'm going to suggest the obvious from Amazon... some books to help you improve your photography.

I don't know what level you're at, but Bryan Peterson has written some excellent books that are great for beginner through what I'd consider serious intermediate level. They're very easy to read and assume no prior knowledge, but manage to avoid talking down to readers who might already know some of what's presented.

A book I think every photographer should own, read, practice and re-read on occasion, is:
Understanding Exposure (4th Edition)
If you'd like to improve your "photographer's eye" and compositional skills, this one is excellent:
Understanding Composition (Field Guide)
And, finally, if you're interested in flash photography but don't fully understand how to use and control a flash gun properly, try this:
Understanding Flash Photography
I have all three and re-read them from time-to-time, as they're genuinely enjoyable books with plenty of sound advice and information. If you read and learn everything in any one of these books, you'll have a very solid understanding of the subject matter. Read them all, and you'll have a far better grasp of photography fundamentals - technical and artistic - than many folks in forums such as these.

At current Amazon UK prices, you'd get all three for around £55 in total, so you'd have to contribute a fiver on top of your gift card. Well worth it, though

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-14-2019 at 04:35 AM.
12-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From your gear it looks like you might enjoy macro work -- perhaps the Canon 500d filter or similar to get a little more magnification.

12-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For macro work, a reversal ring is great to have.

amazon.com : 49mm to PK Filter Thread Macro Reverse Mount Adapter Ring, &for Pentax K PK Mount SLR DSLR Camera PK K-3 K-50 K-5 II K-30 K-01 K-5 K-r K-x K-7 K-m : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It would only use up a small part of the voucher. Add extension tubes if you don't have any yet.
12-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and really like this bag, it's compact, light and easy to carry and use. It is a little more than your gift card. And you are half way to the 35/2.4 or the 50/1.8, both cheap but very good primes.
12-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for photo bags -- if I had to replace mine -- it would likely be one of Rollei's Fotoliner backpacks (link leads to the size "L" version, there is also an "M" variant):
Rollei Fotoliner photo backpack L I large camera: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Or, indeed, you use your voucher against a new lens. For some serious (portrait) prime fun, you could get the smc PENTAX-DA 50mm F1.8 -- one of the most bang-for-the-euro purchases I've ever made:
SMC PENTAX-da 50mmF1.8 Medium Telephoto Lens Focal: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

I know, both a slight premium on your voucher, but substantial additions to your kit. And both would arrive before Christmas.

Happy shooting, regardless of how you decide.
12-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some great suggestions above. If you have a camera bag, is it fitted out with good quality lens cleaning tissues, spray alcohol, lens hoods, dust blower/brush, desiccant capsules, etc? Do you have a good circular polarizing filter? The cheap ones aren't worth having, and the good ones could easily run £50 or more. Would you like an upgrade to the kit lens? You could get one at a £50 discount. I sold my Pentax 18-55mm and bought a used Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro (https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-5-dc-macro.html) at a very reasonable price. Much better image quality and more range (but I really want the Pentax 16-85mm).

I absolutely love my Pentax-F 100mmf2.8 macro; fantastic IQ.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 12-14-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added link to lens
12-14-2019, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

these might take a little ( or a lot ) more than the gift card

but some members like them for macro

raynox close up filter/lenses

https://www.closeuphotography.com/raynox/2017/6/3/raynox-close-up-lenses
12-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
And you are half way to the 35/2.4 or the 50/1.8, both cheap but very good primes.
Now there is the best suggestion yet. Every photographer needs another prime.
12-14-2019, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
these might take a little ( or a lot ) more than the gift card

but some members like them for macro

raynox close up filter/lenses

Raynox Close-up Lenses ? Close-up Photography
+1 to this, excellent idea. The Raynox close-up adapters are convenient and good quality.

Tamron Adaptall 90/2.5 + Raynox DCR-150

Pentax F 35-70 + Raynox DCR-150
12-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #15

Both the 35mm f2.4 and the 50mm f1.8 are excellent value for money. I prefer the 50mm field of view. I’d second this recommendation.

In terms of things that haven’t been discussed, why not spend £50 on software and use the vouchers for light bulbs or something else you need. You could get luminar or affinity photo.