K200D 4638.66%
K100D 1613.45%
Other 4436.97%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 04:09 AM   #1

Pentax Travel Kit:

Hey all,
just joined on to this forum as I am interested in Pentax as a viable travel kit. The DA Pancake Limiteds look like very interesting options. My big question though was whether it would be worth the wait for the new K2000 or K-m coming out or if I should look at a K200D or even a K100D. The one thing that bothers me though about the K2000 is that the only selectable AF point is the center one. Is it going to be locked in stone that the only AF point for the K2000 is the center one?

The plus side of this camera though is obviously that it is very small and with the pancakes it would be a fantastic travel kit.

I own Nikon equipment and currently own a D1h and a D50. Both are nice, but the size difference of the pancakes and small bodies are very tempting. I would not be switching systems or anything, but rather complementing my set up with both

Thanks

10-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't seen K2000 yet, but if you stick pancake lens on istDL you get very nice and small setup. Though it is an older camera (3 af points, 6 mp).
10-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
I haven't seen K2000 yet, but if you stick pancake lens on istDL you get very nice and small setup. Though it is an older camera (3 af points, 6 mp).
But the *istDL no shake reduction and no dust removal system.

I don't see that selectable focus point is an important feature in a travel cam. Letting the camera select a focus point is a horrible feature, it guesses wrong more often than not. I always set the focus point to center and compose with a half-press unless I'm using a tripod. If I'm using a tripod and focus is not centered, I'd focus manually. IMO the K2000 with pancakes should be a great little travel system.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-22-2008 at 06:27 AM.
10-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure that the center AF point being the only selectable one is that much of a problem. I use my cameras for both work and fun. I can honestly say in thousands of shots, I have used another focus point maybe 30-40 times. It's a good feature but there are usually faster ways of doing the same thing.

On a Pentax body, there is focus lock on the shutter button. Just select the center point and half press the shutter button to focus the camera. Lock the focus and hold that. Recompose the shot and fuly depress the button to capture the shot. With a little practice, you can do this in literally a split second. Much faster than taking your eye off the viewfinder and selecting the AF point you need.

On cameras with rear AF buttons, you can do the same thing seperate from the shutter button. I've only seen pictures but it looks like the K2000 has an AF button on the rear right upper corner. Much better placed than other bodies and you can de-couple the focus lock from the shutter button. Use the rear button with center point to lock focus and recompose, then fire.

So I don't think this is an issue without user selectable focus points.

For a travel/street camera and the awesome pancakes, this is a no brainer.

10-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
And no shake reduction and no dust removal system.

I don't see that selectable focus point is an important feature in a travel cam. Letting the camera select a focus point is a horrible feature, it guesses wrong more often than not. I always set the focus point to center and compose with a half-press unless I'm using a tripod. If I'm using a tripod and focus is not centered, I'd focus manually. IMO the K2000 with pancakes should be a great little travel system.
Sorry AB but the K2000 (K-M) has SR as quoted by the Pentax web site:
Shake Reduction system, featuring a 10.2 megapixel CCD, is compatible with any PENTAX lens ever made, and minimizes the effect of camera shake even at slower shutter speeds

Or were you making a comment on the older *istD series cameras? If so then that's correct. No SR.

See it here: Pentax Imaging -

As for selectable focus points I don't think you've used the feature totally. You can set it on Auto (and you're right - who would want that) but you can also select the focus point yourself.
10-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Or were you making a comment on the older *istD series cameras? If so then that's correct. No SR.
Sorry, yes, I was talking about no SR and no dust removal system on the *ist. I've corrected it in my original post now.

As for selectable focus points I don't think you've used the feature totally. You can set it on Auto (and you're right - who would want that) but you can also select the focus point yourself.
Maybe I shouldn't be posting this early in the morning. I realize I can select the focus point on my K100DS and K20D, and like you, I have used that feature only rarely. I half-press and recompose, or I use manual focus. Half-press doesn't work well on a tripod if the subject is not centered. That's when one could use selectable autofocus. I would prefer to use manual focus with a tripod, even with my selectable AF cameras, because it's easier than dicking around with selectable focus points, especially if the scene is changing at all.

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-22-2008 at 06:34 AM.
10-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

No K-m? n/t

There is no text.

QuoteOriginally posted by cny3123 Quote
Hey all,
just joined on to this forum as I am interested in Pentax as a viable travel kit. The DA Pancake Limiteds look like very interesting options. My big question though was whether it would be worth the wait for the new K2000 or K-m coming out or if I should look at a K200D or even a K100D. The one thing that bothers me though about the K2000 is that the only selectable AF point is the center one. Is it going to be locked in stone that the only AF point for the K2000 is the center one?

The plus side of this camera though is obviously that it is very small and with the pancakes it would be a fantastic travel kit.

I own Nikon equipment and currently own a D1h and a D50. Both are nice, but the size difference of the pancakes and small bodies are very tempting. I would not be switching systems or anything, but rather complementing my set up with both

Thanks
10-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-m wasn't out when i was making my decision and i went with the K200D, although the K-m is slightly better int the low light department, id' still choose the K200D mostly because of the weather sealing and "AA" battery power source.

10-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
The K-m wasn't out when i was making my decision and i went with the K200D, although the K-m is slightly better int the low light department, id' still choose the K200D mostly because of the weather sealing and "AA" battery power source.
I believe that the K-m / K2000 uses AA batteries too. Although I plan on getting a K-m as a backup camera, the K200D still trumps it in many ways. Besides weather sealing, I would also have trouble giving up my top LCD screen, which I use all the time. The K-m will be great with the DA pancakes, but larger lenses will also balance better on the K200D.
10-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
After thinking about it for a little bit, I don't think having only a central AF point for travel will matter much. I highly value a selectable AF point especially since I shoot a lot of sports, but this camera would be for an entirely different purpose. I would most likely only be buying this camera for the 40mm pancake and either the 15 or 21mm pancakes. Beyond that for most other shooting occasions I would still have my D1h and full set of lenses for a non compact solution.
The K2000 is interesting to me because of the smaller size which is the biggest thing here when it comes to me making a compact kit, though the larger K200D has more features.

For the 8 people so far that have voted for other, are these votes mostly for the istDS camera?

Also for the people voting for the K200D if you could state the reasons why you voted for the K200D?

Another thing for me right now is that I see the K2000 kit retailing for very close to the same price if not more than the K200D body only which is all I would want. Will the K2000 drop a lot in price when released? At B&H I see it going for $700 for presale? Will the K2000 also retail later on with a bod only? I am not very interested in purchasing the 18-55mm kit lens or the kit flash that comes with it.

Last edited by cny3123; 10-22-2008 at 01:53 PM.
10-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I own a *istD as well as other bodies. Lets be honest. the *istD and it's D series brothers are nice cameras but are slow as molasses going up hill on a cold day. Sure it would be cheaper but if you are used to shooting with the D50, this camera will start to drive you a bit crazy if the light is low.

If you have no fear of used gear. I see at least one K100D on the market place and it's a fine camera. You should be able to find one around $3-400.00 The K100D Super is basically the same camera but has SDM lens support. With the pancakes and limited lenses this is not an issue at the moment.
10-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
I own a *istD as well as other bodies. Lets be honest. the *istD and it's D series brothers are nice cameras but are slow as molasses going up hill on a cold day. Sure it would be cheaper but if you are used to shooting with the D50, this camera will start to drive you a bit crazy if the light is low.

If you have no fear of used gear. I see at least one K100D on the market place and it's a fine camera. You should be able to find one around $3-400.00 The K100D Super is basically the same camera but has SDM lens support. With the pancakes and limited lenses this is not an issue at the moment.
To be honest, the D50 was my first DSLR 3 years ago, but now it is hardly ever used. I purchased a D1h used for ~$250 close to a year ago and have never looked back, yes it is 2.7 megapixels but I really love the camera and it works very well for me. I have no problem with used cameras, so long as it is able to get the job done.

I honestly don't have a huge knowledge base when it comes to the Pentax series though which is why I am asking about which body I should get. How is the K100D when it comes to ISO and autofocus performance. If they are fairly adequate then I would more than likely be happy with that.

My main goal for the Pentax set up that I will be buying is just to get a light weight travel solution with the pancakes and a compact body. How does the K100D compare in size to the D50?
10-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #13

I started with a K100D. I primarily use my K10D now as I am learning how to use all the features. I am just a noob but can tell you just the other day I had both cameras out on the streets of Yokohama and had a great time. I had forgotten how much fun the little K100D was. The weight difference is very noticeable and although it appears to be slower, the LCD seems brighter. I am gonna have a hard time giving it to my son for Christmas (this was my justification for the K10D).
10-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Agreed - I love the size and handling of my *istDS, but if feels slow and clunky compared to my K200D. The autofocus is... marginal at best.
10-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Agreed - I love the size and handling of my *istDS, but if feels slow and clunky compared to my K200D. The autofocus is... marginal at best.
Other things that would make it hard for me to go back to the DS after the K200D:

- no SR (obviously)

- no orientation sensor (I spent way too much time going through my images finding ones that needed rotating)

- noticeably less attractive AWB in tungsten light (not that the K200D is *great*, of course)

- smaller LCD (shouldn't matter, but bugged me when I'd pick up the DS)

- less resolution, but RAW files no smaller due to lack of compression

The viewfinder on the DS is nice, sure, but not *that* big a deal, especially if you use the O-ME53 magnifying eyecup on the K200D. If it's size steering one toward the DS, I'd consider the K2000 instead, although I'm not sure I could live without the DOF preview - that's how I do most of my metering with manual lenses. Hitting the button to get the camera to set a shutter speed is a poor substitute for actually seeing the meter as you scan about.