Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To those who've changed focusing screens

I'm interested in swapping out to a more manual focus friendly screen on my K20D. I gather some affect spot metering, but it's something I never use so does not concern me. However, I am wondering how things change when using slower lenses; from what I understand part of the reason for the screen being the way it is is to brighten up the viewfinder when using slower glass. How does say an f/5.6 lens compare on the factory vs aftermarket screens? Is it a lot darker?

10-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No, the screen is not appreciably darker... you will however notice that one side of the split circle will darken (go black) with lenses that are around f/5.6 or slower. f/5.6 is useable if you're careful to keep your eye steady, f/8 not so useable.

The more expensive KatzEye has a special screen that they claim will go well beyond f/8, but I have never used it.
10-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It'll be like in the film days. The screen will get darker the smaller the max aperture is.
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by firefly Quote
No, the screen is not appreciably darker... you will however notice that one side of the split circle will darken (go black) with lenses that are around f/5.6 or slower. f/5.6 is useable if you're careful to keep your eye steady, f/8 not so useable.

The more expensive KatzEye has a special screen that they claim will go well beyond f/8, but I have never used it.
That's something I can live with since any of those slower lenses would be AF anyway. I was just concerned that it would make the screen much darker for some slower glass, which I'd like to avoid.

10-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

I have no direct experience with the K20D but I swapped for a Katz-Eye split prism screen in my K100D and didn't like it too well in the end. I never had any trouble with the viewfinder being unusable but it affected P-TTL flash metering badly for some reason.
10-23-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello,
I've just made a new thread with some findings about my split screen on my k10, so if you are interested:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/40070-k10-split-sc...-accuracy.html