Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New K200

So There it is. I just get a Pentax K200D for first DSLR camera, Found it magical, but has a beginner I don't know how to use it right. I'm reading user manual but it make many thing to learn at the same time so i'm asking here if some have some little helpfull tip to tell me it would be appreciate. I don't want full lesson but only little thing like what is aperture and what is the effect on my photo, and if you have time tell how to set it for great pic.

Well I'm happy to have this nice camera and I wish to be able soon to use it right.

10-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual really is very good. Always read the manual with the camera at hand to try out what they are talking about, and dont try and do too much at once.

I think the best thing you can do is to put the K200D on Auto and take photos, lots of photos in all sorts of situations, light, subjects etc etc.
Then when going through them on your computer pay particualr attention to the ones you are not happy with. Examine your exif data carefully, refer to the manual and make the necessary adjustments.

Then cross check against the ones you do like, taking into account light and conditions.

Do not hesitate to post shots here, you will find people generally very willing to help, non-judgemental and gentle in their appraisement.

So, off you go, camera on Auto, and bang away.
Cheers
10-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by martin_metal_88 Quote
I don't want full lesson but only little thing like what is aperture and what is the effect on my photo, and if you have time tell how to set it for great pic.
You don't need to change any settings to get great pictures. You may need to change settings to get ones you personally like better, or to make it easier to get those great pictures, but only you can decide what that means for you.

As for aperture, well, I'm afraid that's not a "little thing". You need to read up on exposure and metering and how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO work together to control the various aspects of picture taking - exposure, depth of field (DOF), etc. It's not a small subject at all. Lots of people recommend Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". I've never read it, but learned a lot from the National Geographic Field Guide to Photography. Just about any book on photography should have a chapter (or more) on the basics of exposure and metering, so you might want to visit your local library and/or bookstore. If I knew I good web site for this, I'd recommend it, but I've never seen one that covers these basics well.
10-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by martin_metal_88 Quote
So There it is. I just get a Pentax K200D for first DSLR camera, Found it magical, but has a beginner I don't know how to use it right. I'm reading user manual but it make many thing to learn at the same time so i'm asking here if some have some little helpfull tip to tell me it would be appreciate. I don't want full lesson but only little thing like what is aperture and what is the effect on my photo, and if you have time tell how to set it for great pic.

Well I'm happy to have this nice camera and I wish to be able soon to use it right.
Your basically in the same situation I'm in, so much to learn about the k200d and not knowing where to begin first. I just ordered the 2 DVD set from Jump Start video off Amazon for only $24.00 dedicated solely for the k200d. I will give you my review once I receive it and view it, looks like it covers EVERYTHING!!

Barry

10-23-2008, 01:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I would like to recommend the following link:
PENTAX digiich
There is a lot of info for beginners as well as the more seasoned photographers. A valuable supplement to the manual.
10-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for Help I hope your critics about these dvd will be usefull. I'm going to read again and again my manuel and one day i will finaly know my k200