Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
I still take the K1 and try to choose lenses carefully.
I drove this Christmas so I could take my K1 and flashes, tripod and triggers, as well as to be able to carry the new DA*150-450 I had delivered to my Mother's house the day after I arrived! Whoo hooo! Christmas for Geezer!

12-28-2019, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #32

I had the exact same question about a month ago and posted the OP's question on the dpreview forums
(ricoh pentax section, do a search if you're interested in the answers)

I went ahead and bought the K1-II, I used the K3 and K3-II before.
No regrets so far, have not been this happy with a photography purchase in years.
The K1 is an even bigger upgrade than I anticipated. I'm simply blown away by the image quality and would highly recommend the camera.

- The dynamic range is fantastic, especially in the highlights I get much more detail and recoverability (RAW, lightroom) compared to the K3.
- The way colors render and transition is great.
- The viewfinder is BIG, the K3 feels like looking into a tiny box now.
- And then there is the sharpness and detail, that sensor really does make a difference,
- Handling and ergonomics are amazing, pretty much everything you can set can be set directly through buttons/dials on the body. No need for menu diving.
- It doesn't feel like the big camera it is, especially with older FA prime lenses it is still very compact.
- Autofocus seems better compared to my K3 as well.
- Fps is plenty fast for anything except for sports and even that should be possible

Now I should mention that I do have a very decent set of FF compatible lenses (FA24, FA28-70, FA31, FA35, FA50, DA70).
These lenses undoubtedly play a role in how satisfied I am with the results so far.
You do notice small mistakes much easier (shake, misfocus, etc.) so I can imagine cheaper and older lenses might give slightly more disappointing results.

I think it will be a while before Ricoh will release a new FF camera, so plenty of time to enjoy owning the best FF Pentax available.
If you have the glass (or can afford a couple purchases), buy it.
01-01-2020, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

I get my full frame experience from film. People talk about how bright the K-1 viewfinder is, but that pales in comparison to a spotmatic.

Really I think people are kind of full of it when it comes to the difference in image quality, I've never seen anything a k-1 can do that my KP can't.
01-01-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
...fiddling with manual diaphragm and manual focus. In the 21st century? Meh.
You've just described every day of my life.

01-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nerky774 Quote
Pentax k1 2019 still worth it?
Absolutely, the K1 is one of the best DSLR of the decade.
01-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
If you have a good variety of K mount lenses, the K1 is the way to go. The alternative - if you want to keep your K mount glass - is using an adapter. Joining the dark side means fiddling with manual diaphragm and manual focus. In the 21st century? Meh.
My full-frame K-mount lenses are mostly manual. So what? If I were going to use full-frame, I would be taking landscape-like photos which give me plenty of time to focus, so I really wouldn't care.
01-01-2020, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I am in much the same place as you. Been using a K70 for a couple of years and considering a K1. I shoot much the same as you. For me and my hobby I just can't see how any improved benefit of having a K1 can justify it's cost, and I already have lenses that will work. Rokinon 14mm, D FA 28-105mm, and DA* 300mm. However, your position may be and probably is different than mine.

One thing you could do, since your in the US, is rent a K1 body for a week and try it out first to see if that's what you want. LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more has the K1ii at $109 + shipping & tax for a week
They also have the K-1 for rent, and the cost is lower. $75 IIRC. I'd suggest doing that before committing to a purchase.

FWIW I rented the K1ii and didn't find it to be a huge improvement over my K-70 and KP. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a used one at the right price for a specific professional use I have but in general, and it's simply my opinion, really not worth investing in one if you already have either of the newer crop model Pentax cameras. Either one would give you 80% of what the K-1 offers for substantially lower cost in both the body and appropriate lenses to go with it.

In my case I've put money into really good glass for the cameras I already have, though you might note in my signature that nearly all my lenses are also FF-compatible.

01-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
But did I see you're selling yours?
01-01-2020, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
But did I see you're selling yours?
Nope. My K1 is almost at 50K shutter count, my K1II only a few thousands, I'm still using the K1 everywhere I go. The first three weeks I used the K1 I wasn't used to it, now after almost 4 years of use I think the K1 is the best Pentax DSLR ever made.
01-01-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You've just described every day of my life.
Same here - using Pentax lenses on Samsung MILC bodies means that manual diaphragm and manual focus is a way of life.
01-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. My K1 is almost at 50K shutter count, my K1II only a few thousands, I'm still using the K1 everywhere I go. The first three weeks I used the K1 I wasn't used to it, now after almost 4 years of use I think the K1 is the best Pentax DSLR ever made.
Oh, OK. Though I saw it posted. My bad...
01-01-2020, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

How can it be the best, if it isn't the best format...?
01-01-2020, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Please... Don't...
01-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You just had to start it up Bert! Bad Bert!
01-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1 is definitely a very nice upgrade to what you have already. The benefits of full frame have already been mentioned -- the biggest one is better dynamic range and noise at any iso -- this produces better landscapes and high iso snapshots. Better viewfinder. Better ability to shoot shallow depth of field at wide angles. Better resolution.