Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok what gives...heavy blue tint

I have recently acquired my first DSLR - a k100D. I am using older manually focused lenses with the "A" setting. As long as the camera is in one of its Auto modes it seems to work fine, but when I go to Manual the pictures come out with a HEAVY blue tint when using flash. I can go into the color adjusting mode and scroll it far to the right and get close to the correct color, but it seems I shouldn't have to do this for each shot.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance for helping a neophyte!

James

10-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No, you shouldn't have to do it for every shot, just set the proper white balance for each lighting condition, and as long as you're shooting in that lighting condition, you can keep the same white balance setting.

Or just shoot RAW and set the WB in your RAW converter
10-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is a flash white balance setting you can choose under the Fn menu. If the flash is the main light in your photo, you want to be able to balance to that light, otherwise it will appear as you see it.
10-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!

Ok, the WB adjustment fixed it. Thanks so much!

10-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heritage Quote
I have recently acquired my first DSLR - a k100D. I am using older manually focused lenses with the "A" setting. As long as the camera is in one of its Auto modes it seems to work fine, but when I go to Manual the pictures come out with a HEAVY blue tint when using flash. I can go into the color adjusting mode and scroll it far to the right and get close to the correct color, but it seems I shouldn't have to do this for each shot.
Sounds like you've got that fixed, but it does raise a larger issue I too am curious about: with my K200D, I see a tendency for my "M" lenses to render the same scene bluer than my "DA" lenses. I haven't done any real testing of this, but my impression is that the difference is entirely due to the camera choosing a different white balance when in AWB mode. I shoot RAW, so I seldom mess with the WB setting in camera. But if go into PP and set both images to the same WB value, the color difference disappears. If I look at the "As Shot" WB temperature value, it's *way* lower on the shots from the "M" lens. At least, in the cases where this happens - it's not all the time.

Not a big deal, since it is so easy to set WB after the fact with RAW, but I'm curious if anyone ha any insight into why the camera might choose such a different WB with M lenses versus DA. Seems it *could* be related to issue reported above with flash. Why would the camera choose different WB depending on exposure mode?
10-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Marc, that's old news. The M series lenses give a cooler rendition compared to the newer series of lenses. Pentax probably made changes to the SMC lens coating over the years.
10-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Marc, that's old news. The M series lenses give a cooler rendition compared to the newer series of lenses. Pentax probably made changes to the SMC lens coating over the years.
Yeah, but I am *not* talking about this. I'm talking about the *camera* choosing an entirely different WB depending on lens used (like 4500 versus 7000). If I set both to the same temperature in PP, I get only the expected *slight* difference in color you refer to. But the difference in WB is huge.