Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
For those of you here in the states, the US, and purchased from jinfinance on ebay how long did it take to get the screen? How long was the shippng time?
in my case

02/27/2008 - paid
02/29/2008 - shipped
03/15/2008 - arrived

PS: I did not like 45 degrees split prism... I had both 45 degrees and horizontal and for me horizontal is just better.

10-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the quick response. Greatly appreciated!
10-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Hello Lowell!
First, big thanks for all your posts on the subject! It really helped me understanding both the problem and the solution!

Well, as I said, the 0Ev basis of these charts is taken on what the camera found using the 50 FA in A mode... That's all! It was choosen purely on a practical basis, to ensure no external dependency at all (apart from the light source!)...
After all, what I wanted to chart was exposure accuracy through all the aperture range, not accuracy of the metering system of the k10 regarding external conditions (where grey card and controlled lighting is important)...

That's why I said that, for my personnal taste, it would benefit from a +1Ev expo comp (and then we fall back on your results, if I recall right)...
so if I understand you correctly, you are using the A setting to set shutter speed for an apature, and then for each apature you are setting the shutter speed accordingly i.e. up or down the correct number of stops, then recording the EV error in exposure?

Just curious.

By the way, I have found the screen from the *istD to be the best for manual metering.
10-28-2008, 02:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Lowell : no, I just used either M mode + green button (or Av mode with the m42s), and compared the shutter speed then given by the k10 with the one I should have got if the focus screen was linear... A little Log(ActualTv/ExpectedTv;2) in excel, and voilą! Ev diff for all apertures...
That's why my 0Ev line is at f/1.4 on my FA 50, btw... That's where the body metered with it in A mode...

That's the beauty of this experiment : there is no external variables (except a constant light source!).

10-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
The histogram is the best way to evaluate an exposure. Essentially, the exposure meter is predicting what the histogram will look like; if you can look at the histogram of an image, then adjust your exposure settings accordingly, you'll be more likely to get the exposure level that you want. So you're not working at a beginner's level in that respect.

However, aperture is just as important as shutter speed for determining exposure. You would benefit enormously from reading about how aperture and shutter speed both affect the resulting image--or, even better, taking images at different apertures and seeing what happens, and then reading about it to understand what's going on.

Hope this helps.
Thanks... Your answer and dlacouture's answer helped clarify what is going on. As for the aperture and shutter speed, I understand these. I just have never worried much about the variation in exposure that comes with the changing aperture because I typically compose for a single aperture value and adjust the shutter speed to get the right exposure. My inexperience comes in finding it easier to ignore the variation in EV that comes with the various aperture values and using the histogram to make adjustments.

Only now, I am trying to at least get a rough idea of how the aperture affects the EV value to reduce the number of reshots I find myself taking. Your graphs and the discussion here, will help quite a bit.

Thanks.
11-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #21

I also got some manual lenses, like th 50mm f1.7, i'm interested in getting one of these split screen.

I have one question, whats the big difference between the 45deg and the horizontal split screen, Is there any advantage between one or the other? or it just the alignment angle difference. thanx in advance.
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
I also got some manual lenses, like th 50mm f1.7, i'm interested in getting one of these split screen.

I have one question, whats the big difference between the 45deg and the horizontal split screen, Is there any advantage between one or the other? or it just the alignment angle difference. thanx in advance.
it is a matter of taste - some people (like me for example) find it somewhat inconvenient to use 45deg split prism... if you can use it then 45deg will allow you to target both vertical and/or (depends on the situation) horizontal features (lines) to focus w/o rotating the body...

PS: you can also buy a focusing screen where you have both horizontal and vertical split at once - check focusingscreen.com

11-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I just got my screen today from jinfinance on ebay. The screen was just laying in the plastic container unwrapped. Has a few scatches. I haven't seen anyone complain about that so I am wondering whats up. Has everyone elses been wrapped to protect it. The matted surface doesn't look right either. It looks worn, clearer in spots.

Oren
11-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I just got my screen today from jinfinance on ebay. The screen was just laying in the plastic container unwrapped. Has a few scatches. I haven't seen anyone complain about that so I am wondering whats up. Has everyone elses been wrapped to protect it. The matted surface doesn't look right either. It looks worn, clearer in spots.

Oren
Oren, there are self adhesive screen protection on both sides of the jinfinace focusing screen that must be removed (peeled off) first. Be careful not to smudge the screen while trying to get those off. After that install the screen and it actually looks clearer than the factory screen.
11-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

That was it, thanks. You can't see the adhesive at all. Had to take a xacto knife to the edge to peel it up. Not than difficult.

Now I can play.