Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

A Pentax Dream...Can It Be Done?

Hey All,
I was thinking about the first Pentax I ever owned (A Spotmatic F) some 34 years ago when I was 16 years old, it was a great camera and had a good feel to it and took great shots. This got me thinking that maybe Pentax could come out with a "retro" model, a Spotmatic looking model with digital inners, the mode dial would be where the film rewind crank was and the LCD top panel would be where the film advance lever was. Seems like an easy task as electronics are getting smaller and smaller. I would buy one in a heartbeat to compliment my bulky k200d. What do you guys think?

Barry

10-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many of us have a similar dream. I would even be willing to give up auto-focus and built-in flash for a smaller, lighter body (preferably FF).

Steve
10-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

That would be cool Berry. But sorry Steve I have to have my AF. My old eyeballs don't focus like they should.

Jim
10-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

AF could be done thru motor built into the lens (SDM) so that would save some weight.

I also would like to see such a camera. I still remember my ME Super and then ZX-5N (I loved the two dials).

10-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah! Isnt it cool to think that in a few years the technology will get small enough to fit into the size of an MX, with a full frame chip too. Its not much of a stretch. Digitial SLRs are massive right now! And they all look like motorbikes. wtf.
10-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
10-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ryan, that looks great!! The Spotmatic F I had was the only 35mm SLR that I ever owned that looked better in a chrome finish than a black finish. My old Canon F-1 looked great in black until it got used a lot and the brass started to show, mostly around the shoulder strap eyelets and tripod socket (remember those days guys?) :ugh:

Barry
10-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

time to throw stones and see where the ripples spread!

WHile lot's of people ask for special "retro" cameras etc, I think if pentax were to listen to the market, they would address in a new camera the real functional concerns that have evolved in the existing DSLRs which are easily correctible in software, before going off on a tangent that only some die hards would use.

I think software mods to enter apature of Manual lenses so the camera could use them in auto mode, and with P-TTL would be far ahead of this.

Same as restoring exposure compensation in manual so a perminant offset could be added to the metering value.

etc...

lets keep them focused on what is possible and realistic, not some pipe dream

10-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Don't Leica already do this, albeit in an expensive way?
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I really dont care what a camera or lens looks like but I always love the look of that thing.
10-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Don't Leica already do this, albeit in an expensive way?
Maybe in the 35mm days, the Leica lenses though expensive were superior to Nikon, Canon etc, but in the digital age, the competition has them beat. Leica now is nothing more than an overpriced status symbol. Most camera review sites in fact rate them lower in quality, not bad but certainly not the best.

Barry
10-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Maybe in the 35mm days, the Leica lenses though expensive were superior to Nikon, Canon etc, but in the digital age, the competition has them beat. Leica now is nothing more than an overpriced status symbol. Most camera review sites in fact rate them lower in quality, not bad but certainly not the best.

Barry
I thought overpriced status symbol was another way of saying retro.