Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #1

K10D screen

Maybe this is a stupid quiestion. But my problem is this, when I take pictures, then the pics are much better on the cameras screen then on my pc's. Its quite hard for me to decide what is good and what is bad. So is the screen to contrasty on the K10D? I used Canon 30D some days ago and the screen is much better on that, shows the pics so how they look on the PC. I hope you got what I mean.

Sorry for my bad english.

10-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you talking about the shots maybe being out of focus when you view them on the PC? Or exposure? Color? One thing I know now is that I can't trust what the image looks like on the LCD of the camera. Especially when I am using a manual focus lens. on a 2.5 inch screen, it really has to be out of focus to notice it, but on my 19" wide screen monitor, it is painfully obvious when I miss focus, haha.
10-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Exposure is great on the screen, but bad on the pc.
10-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you shooting RAW or JPG?

10-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think it has to with screen resolution. A tiny 2.5" screen can't compete with a decent 19" LCD monitor. The Canon has slightly better resolution than the K10D. Images are compressed on the camera screen and probably look better.
Personally, since I have crappy close vision, I don't trust what I am seeing on the camera screen and only edit or delete once I am viewing on my PC monitor.
10-24-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Look at the histograms instead.
10-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Also, be aware that LCD viewing angle has a lot to do with what the exposure looks like.
10-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Personally, since I have crappy close vision, I don't trust what I am seeing on the camera screen and only edit or delete once I am viewing on my PC monitor.
Agreed. Make sure you have enough memory so you don't have to delete in the field. If the concern is that you want to see the result while in the field so that you can make the neccessary set up changes to improve, then Damn Brit is spot on with his advice to "Look at the histograms instead".

10-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm another with not so hot eyesight and really don't get a good look at my pics until I download them. I use the histogram to check exposure also. In daylight, especially on sunny days I find the lcd useless and I don't know how people can use those live view only point and shoots, and I have tried out several of them. When the light is right the screen is helpfull and turning the dial to zoom in can check camera shake issues and focus/depth of field but it sill isn't a substitute for a computer screen.I only delete the obvious crap shots based on the cameras lcd.
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #10

Try Bright mode if you're not there already. I prefer natural myself though.

Yeah, keep an eye on the histogram. Also turn on the blinking bright dark areas. Since Pentax cameras tend to underexpose, I usually use exposure compensation and push my exposure by a stop or 1.5 stops.

In time, you'll get yourself into the habit of pushing your exposure to the right so that your "whites" are as white as they can be.

In simple terms, the histogram doesn't lie.