Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

HD is king

Here's to all those who bashed Pentax for not having 4k:

Pentax just needs to step up the AF game. In viewfinder and live view for video and low light. That dual pixel AF is really amazing.

And I insist on a mount or sensor displacement focusing DSLR. Being able to shoot footage like this with legacy glass would be a huge hit.

01-06-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As is often the case, he is full of it.
01-06-2020, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought it was a good vid - only 3% of his viewership watched in 4K... pretty telling.
1080p has been good enough for me to watch videos and play games, but I'd really prefer a 1440p or 4K for editing photos.

One thing I didn't like was his ridiculous f/1.2 50mm lens focus-pumping nonstop. It's really distracting and nauseating.
01-06-2020, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes, "good enough" is good enough. I am reminded of a conversation an associate of mine had many years ago with some monitor engineers who were all excited and proud of their monitor that could display 1o million colors. They were incensed when my associate said, "So what". The human eye, a trained human eye, can only see about 4 million colors. The other 6 million colors in this case was overkill. Is it the same or similar with 4K?

01-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Is it the same or similar with 4K?
I think resolution is mostly to do with the size of the monitor and how far you're sitting away from it.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think colour bit depth would have the same effect as resolution in this instance.. but I see what you're saying about diminishing returns.

Most YouTube watchers are watching on their smart phones... small screen at close distance doesn't necessarily benefit from 4K... but I'm thinking that colour bit depth would be similar on various screen sizes... again with diminishing returns though.
01-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't need 4k. Takes too much space/memory for my needs.
01-06-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I don't need 4k. Takes too much space/memory for my needs.
I feel similar with people talking about 50 MP up to 100 MP cameras! I would need to revamp my computer to tackle opening and editing those files in post!

01-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In fact I recorded videos in 4k and ended up converting them to reduce their size
01-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I see quite a difference between full hd and 4k.
A 4k 60fps video is a joy to watch if it shows nice stuff.
Than again I agree about the picture resolution. 4 k are enough for me there too.
01-06-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I do a lot of small time competitive gaming and speaking from my demographic the biggest problem with 4k monitors is they are:

1. Too big. I need a monitor that I can see the whole display of while playing so I don't have to pan my head.

2. Aren't fast enough. Most 4k monitors are too slow, only having 60hz refresh rates, especially at relatively smaller sizes.

3. Are too hard to run in most games anyways. You usually need a sizable upgrade just to play your games in 4k, let alone up to speed.

It's no wonder most PC users, especially gamers, haven't swapped to 4k.

Another thing to note about HD vs 4k is that high bitrate HD can actually look a lot better than youtube's crushed 4k when watching personal content. You could actually upscale your 1080p content to 4k before you upload just for the bitrate increase and you'll see a marked improvement.
01-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A 4k monitor is not dedicated to gamers for now.
Refresh rate for office is no issue.
The days where a single thing is displayed on monitors are over too.
I work with two 32 inch monitors, after switching to an autotilling window manager I cannot get big enough screens.
01-06-2020, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4K's reputation is associated with its ability to do colors better, but in many cases that's because the image is processed for HDR, etc., and has little to do with the image being higher resolution. 4K blatantly advertises that it has 4 times the resolution of 2K (it does have 4x as many pixels) but only has double the resolution and even at that, small phone screens are just beginning to allow for 2K resolution - 4K and a lot of 2K is downsampled before it's displayed on these small screens. I think FozzFoster hit it when he said 4K is for large monitors (read: screens) because the human eye can't see details unless their angular size is a certain value, and that just doesn't happen with smaller screens and certainly not on a phone unless it's viewed from a couple of inches away. And then there's the fact that 4K is a bandwidth killer - you don't get higher resolutions for nothing. You pay in storage and transport costs and when those aren't available - you downsize (read: downsample), and there you are back to 2K or lower.

Note: I didn't say 4K doesn't have its applications or use. It most certainly has application to big screen presentations and capturing fine details that later are needed (editing, etc.). It just isn't needed for your smart phone and the WOW you're getting is from something else other than 4K if it's while your watching your smart phone.
01-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This reminds me that I probably should go and see about processing and doing stuff with that pile of shots I took about a week and a half ago with the broken K500 that I will do stacking, star trails, and a time lapse video from. The video would be a 4K one just because I can but at 60 FPS it would only end up being about 15 seconds long.
01-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

“Horses for courses”: for some, 4K is too much, for others not enough (hence 5K). Same goes for 100MP cameras.
01-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

For me higher resolution means sharper text printing. As I work on a computer the whole day I feel this is much less in fatigueing than a full hd one.

Of course I also have bluelight filter and non flickering active to achieve this together with a good backlight setting.

I used smartphones witch fhd and 4k monitors and truely, there were differences in the screen quality, but the resolution is more than enough on fhd. As you said, our eyes got limited angular resolution. In fact, even the abbe limit of the eye starts hitting at this point.

Colors are completly independent on the resolution, the only thing that might be is that 4k is more available in expensive monitors than in cheap ones which tend to have better colors.