Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, but I'll pass on this latest from Dr. Tone. The Ig Nobel prize 2019 for chemistry awarded to Watanabe, Ohnishi, Imai, Kawana and Igarashi makes more compelling reading.

01-06-2020, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

You should go and watch it. It is funny to see a guy talking about video quality and how to achieve it while the camera constantly looses focus and everything gets blury.
01-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
As is often the case, he is full of it.

Fail or Succeed, Truth or Fiction, I see more clickbait in that title than anything else.
01-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Sometimes, "good enough" is good enough.
I don't need my 5 gallon cup for my 8 ounce morning coffee? But it can hold 5 gallons.

01-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the lack of 4K video in a camera is not a show stopper for me personally (as I shoot almost 100% still anyway), I have a reasonable sized 4K TV and certainly prefer to watch 4K streamed content (the difference to HD is quite noticeable on the TV). I suspect the only reason people still watch mainly HD is that is typically the default video size for the screen they have - however over time this will likely change as more and more monitors are 4K (which a signficant number of new monitors already are).

I gave up on Tony a while back but by all means watch but please bear in mind this channel is about 75% clickbait and 25% useful content.
01-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
A 4k monitor is not dedicated to gamers for now.
Refresh rate for office is no issue.
The days where a single thing is displayed on monitors are over too.
I work with two 32 inch monitors, after switching to an autotiling window manager I cannot get big enough screens.
Pray tell, very interested
Under which OS?
A fellow 4K multitasker
01-06-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
however over time this will likely change as more and more monitors are 4K (which a signficant number of new monitors already are).
The 4k monitor space pales in comparison to 1080p and 1440p. Content for pc doesn't scale the same way as it does for tvs, a lot of what you do isn't watching pre-rendered movies, nor does extra resolution matter for real work if you're just bumping up the scaling just to see what you're doing.

01-06-2020, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Pray tell, very interestedUnder which OS?
I use awesome on arch linux a couple of years now.

Before that I used blackbox and later fluxbox. I also tests i3 shortly, but prefer awesome by far.
01-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I use awesome on arch linux a couple of years now.

Before that I used blackbox and later fluxbox. I also tests i3 shortly, but prefer awesome by far.
Thanks!

A pity I'm under Win... but I just installed AquaSnap and I'm already wondering how the hell did I manage without it...
01-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I don't have any 4K screens in the house, and don't watch much TV anyway (< 5 hours per week). To edit 4K I'd need a new computer, a new TV and a new camera, and the distance I normally sit from the TV, DVDs actually look mostly OK, although I do notice the increase in IQ with HD content, but not enough for me to go out and invest in upgrading everything to 4K.
The one reason I think at least 4K capture/editing might be useful would be for some cropping potential, and eventually I guess it may become standard like HD has replaced SD.
The way I'd transition would be monitor first. I can use that now for greater work area for all types of editing. Later I'd upgrade my PC to allow 4K editing, and finally maybe a 4K TV.
01-07-2020, 01:29 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

does he get paid for this?
01-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #27
Pentaxian

After all the things said that Pentax can't do anything but landscapes and that the K-1 is a mistake without much data. After all the comparison to Nikon that it has cheaper lenses on full frame only to compare it with brand new Pentax lenses against second hand 3rd party lenses. I'd say I wouldn't even click his video. These types of people say they know it all but in reality they don't.
01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #28
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I find it fun to research reviews of many different products before I make my purchases.
I think its pertinent to include many different peoples opinions, including ones I might not necessarily agree with, to better formulate the justification of my purchasing choices. Try to avoid echo chambers.
Tony is quite an experienced photographer (doing better at the business than me anyway!) and tries to relay his experiences for other peoples product purchasing research, and I know I've never heard him say he knows it all! :P

Last edited by FozzFoster; 01-08-2020 at 07:33 AM.
01-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Is Tony still putting diesel in the Ferrari?

I'll assume he won't be watching this year's Olympics because they are broadcast in 8K!
01-08-2020, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
One thing I didn't like was his ridiculous f/1.2 50mm lens focus-pumping nonstop. It's really distracting and nauseating.
That was terrible - at first I thought he was using artificial bokeh enabled in a phone or something. Why not just set it to F4, have a nice background blur and he can 'freely' move in the focus zone. It completely ruined the point he was trying to make