Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2020, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
No, it's not a camera problem, it's that I only own manual focus lenses..
I am more on the philosophy that: if you like a particular lens character, just buy that lens and mount it on whatever camera takes it..
The next investment, if happening, will be a lens for sure
If you only have manual focus (by definition film era) lenses, then I would seriously recommend you consider a K-1. Giving these lenses the full frame to breathe in lends them a whole new lease of life.

There are enough chronically disaffected brand jumpers to ensure there will always be a second-hand K-1 going at a decent price.

01-29-2020, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you only have manual focus (by definition film era) lenses, then I would seriously recommend you consider a K-1. Giving these lenses the full frame to breathe in lends them a whole new lease of life.

There are enough chronically disaffected brand jumpers to ensure there will always be a second-hand K-1 going at a decent price.
+1. This is exactly what I've done, in essence. Full-frame definitely gives enough resolution and breadth of dynamic range to appreciate the true value of legacy lenses.
In the same breath, I bought mine (used) with 45,000 actuations for £750 or thereabouts posted. Plenty of life left in it and a considerable step-up from the K-70.
01-29-2020, 02:58 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's a beast of a camera, it's to large and heavy guys...
01-29-2020, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a beast of a camera, it's to large and heavy guys...
Have you actually tried it?
It might be a better option than switching to a bunch of crop lenses.

01-29-2020, 03:05 AM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
No never tried it... I only tried my k-x in my entire life, but it's really huge in comparison photos.
I have small hands, I don't find myself going out with that beast. And I know it's really low priced, it's just a personal attitude, I will leave it home 99% if the time
01-29-2020, 03:12 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No never tried it... I only tried my k-x in my entire life, but it's really huge in comparison photos.
Photos only tell you so much. The ergonomics are amazing, and the performance will blow your mind.

But there are also some amazing crop cameras in the Pentax back catalogue.
01-29-2020, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not spend any money until you are sure you want to continue using a DSLR. I suggest you take your K-x and at least one lens with you wherever you go, and see how much you use the combo. If you find you enjoy using what camera and lens have to make images, are sure you are making the most of that combo by using proper technique and setting and are willing to learn some post-processing to enhance what you capture in camera, then you might want to invest in newer equipment, but in doing the previous steps, you might find that what you have is enough, until your skills outgrow your camera and lenses. This is the least expensive way to find out if you want to stay in the DSLR camp at all.

Personally, I don't mind using the manual focus lenses, because I enjoy capturing images no matter how long it takes to get the focus correct. I found the K-5 and the K-30 really pair well with older lenses, despite being crop (APS-C) sensors.
I upgraded to a used K-1 because I'd rented it a few times and realized it was the right choice for me.

01-29-2020, 05:04 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rob is on the money.

Using a crop camera with legacy lenses is just fine. But you'll get more out of those lenses with a K-1. How important that is is up to you.

If you're after more performance, I would suggest your K-x is the technology most in need of updating.
02-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
I recently "used" an x-t3 in a local store and men, that's pretty...
It's a lot more narrow then the typical DSLR, you can't figure it out unless you hold it in the hands.
There was an Olympus omd em1 and it was similar apart from the grip (deeper).

I made some money calculation tough... And an used x-t2 if you search a bit can be found for 500€, plus a 23 1.4 is 500 plus a 56 1.2 a nother 500-600...

An used 21 + 55 on Pentax is like 200 + 400, and the k-x could stay for a while..

That's a problem 😂
02-07-2020, 02:58 AM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I found the solution, or at least what I would want.
If the 2 options costed me the same amount of money, I would have chosen the Fuji xt20 with a 23 and 56 1.2.
Provided it actually costs 1500 euros used, while the Pentax k-x with 55 1.4 and 21 limited it's 600 euros (1200 with a used kp) I will take the Pentax route. A major role is played by the fact that I can continue to use it just with a first lens addition at first, while the Fuji body+lens in the first place would cost me more then double the price