Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what to do

Hi all. I have an old Pentax k-x, bought as one of the main feature I want in a camera is the compactness (and had no cash at that time ). I only used it with an old m50 1.7 owned by my father and an A 28 2.8 bought for nothing.
I rarely used it in the last years due to lack of time and inefficiency in picking sharp photos with manual focus (probably I needed more practicing).

Lately I picked it up again. I'm wondering what to do.
Stick to what I have and see how the hobby evolves?
Buy 1 or 2 lens that I love and see what happens?
Change everything as there are a lot more viable compact and mirrorless options today?

The only thing I know is that sticking to Pentax apsc I will probably buy a da21 and a da* 55 1.4..
Ah..and that every time I see photos taken with fa 43, fa 77 and da*55 I'm blown away by the look these glasses provide in pictures

01-06-2020, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I would definitely stick with the camera body you have for now, while you see how the hobby evolves. Although an older camera, it's still capable of taking great photos - and there's really no need to trade up until you find yourself pushing the limits of what it can do. There are folks on these forums using Pentax DSLRs older than your K-x that produce fantastic photography with them.

The two manual focus lenses you have are an excellent set covering many use cases, but as you've found out, manual focusing on DSLRs can be challenging. If you're in a position to spend a little money, I think you'd do well to consider buying one or two auto-focusing lenses - inexpensive enough that you're not committing too much at this stage, but with good enough optical performance that you'd still use them if you should subsequently buy a newer camera. The DA21 is, indeed, a very fine lens, and an excellent all-rounder for landscape, architecture, street and general photography. I haven't used the DA*55/1.4, but I love what I see. The field of view makes it a perfect choice for portraiture and situations where you want a little more reach.

For general use, you might also consider a 35mm lens such as the inexpensive DA35/2.4, or the more expensive DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited. Both would be extremely versatile on your APS-C K-x.

Alternatively, you could choose one good zoom lens - something like the DA18-135 - so that you have the opportunity to try out a wide range of focal lengths. In time, you'll find where you tend to shoot most - then you can look at picking up a prime or two
01-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have to say that the 21 is a fantastic little performer - and it makes a great compact kit, my favourite lens by far

01-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Stick with your k-x and take enough time to narrow down your needs and wishes

01-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep going with your current kit. The M50/1.7 is a very sharp lens that has produced lots of outstanding images. There is nothing wrong with the A28/2.8 either. A good zoom might satisfy your urges in the short term But learn to master what you have and remember that many (if not most) of the great shots you see here or elsewhere are produced from good raw material (which generally means something shot in RAW) and skilled post processing. My problem early on was having the feeling that if I only had some other lens or other system that was used to produce an image I admired, that I could do that too. I now know that there is nothing like practice and understanding your camera body and what it can do. I still don't get enough practice or fully understand my camera's capabilities but I am reasonably satisfied with some of the images I get.
01-06-2020, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
The only thing I know is that sticking to Pentax apsc I will probably buy a da21 and a da* 55 1.4..
Ah..and that every time I see photos taken with fa 43, fa 77 and da*55 I'm blown away by the look these glasses provide in pictures
None of these lenses are particularly cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Alternatively, you could choose one good zoom lens - something like the DA18-135 - so that you have the opportunity to try out a wide range of focal lengths. In time, you'll find where you tend to shoot most - then you can look at picking up a prime or two
I second this motion

Many an experience user here with better kit still take an 18-135 out just for it's versatility, and the results are far from embarrassing:

DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com
01-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone who teaches photography to adults regularly, I suggest you stick with what you have, add a lens or two (the 55-300 DA is a great add on to your first two lenses) and get to know your camera before moving on any further. What you learn will be useful as you move ahead, even if you decide to switch systems. Learn to focus manually, there is a technique to it, and it is not hard, it just takes a little time. And don't give up! The more time you give it at the start of this process, the quicker you'll learn.

01-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the tips. So I have to stay with what I have and produce..
I just missed a 370 euros auction for a used da *55 damn me!

I will be in Andalusia working for 6 months, I hope to have plenty of inputs to keep it on.. I'll try to do zone focusing practice for sure
01-07-2020, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
Thank you all for the tips. So I have to stay with what I have and produce..
I just missed a 370 euros auction for a used da *55 damn me!

I will be in Andalusia working for 6 months, I hope to have plenty of inputs to keep it on.. I'll try to do zone focusing practice for sure
You are a lucky man! Andalusia is a great spot for taking pictures (Cordoba, Granada, Sevilla...)
Don't stay too focused on this DA*55 you already own a 50 mm and would benefit from other focals
01-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Keep shooting and keep saving for a body and or a new lens or two. You don't have to fall in the trap of buying too many lenses like some of us here! (I include myself in this category!) Post some of your images here as there is a thread for constructive criticism. Then as you grow in your renewed skill, you can decide what is the best step for you and your style of shooting.
01-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My recommendation would be to keep the k-x, but transition to AF lenses. Manual focus with DSLRs is more challenging than with SLRs due to viewfinder brightness and focusing screen choice. Your k-x is worse still due to the dimmer Pentamirror instead of Pentaprism. There's a learning curve to AF too, but it's not very steep and you'll see an improvement almost immediately. FWIW, you can get the excellent rated DA 35mm f/2.4 AL used like new for $79 at Adorama; $150 new. It makes a compact, lightweight kit in a "normal" focal length. I can also recommend the DA 18-135 if you want to go with a zoom. Either would be a good place to start.

I can understand your desire for a top dollar lens based on what you see posted. But the reality is that there is very little average image difference between those and lower priced Pentax lenses. They usually show the most difference at the extremes, like low light, open apertures, etc. To quote Duff Goldman, “It's not the wand, it's the wizard.”
01-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Keep shooting and keep saving for a body and or a new lens or two. You don't have to fall in the trap of buying too many lenses like some of us here! (I include myself in this category!) Post some of your images here as there is a thread for constructive criticism. Then as you grow in your renewed skill, you can decide what is the best step for you and your style of shooting.
I, too, include myself in that category of those who bought (and buy) too many lenses It's fun, and it can be creatively rewarding... but the most fun I have with my photography - with some of the best shots I've taken - is with an old Samsung GX-10 (K10D) and my trust Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. If that's all I had to use, I could happily get by...
01-20-2020, 04:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I supplemented my K-x with Sigma Da 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro ( older version with screw AF).
It is an excellent lens, extremely good value for money, you can only buy them used and they sell for peanuts.
I still have both, K-x not getting much use, old Sigma permanently attached to K-30 - very enjoyable kit.
01-20-2020, 04:39 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one of the problems with the " limiteds " can be the price and

another can be " appetite " - many of us find it difficult to stop once we obtain one " limited "

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

now we have the choice between those developed for film the original 3 - FA 43mm , 77mm and 31mm and those developed for digital cameras - the SMC and HD versions of the 15mm , 21mm , 35mm macro, 40mm and 70mm

bottom line, a lot of us who do get a limited like the lens a lot

when you decide to look at adding lenses, depending on your " targets " you might want to consider something wider than your 28mm or a short telephoto

[ remember on that point that the optical set up of the F, FA, and D FA 100mm F2.8 Macros are the same and the F, FA, and D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro may be found cheaper than the newest version of the D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-20-2020 at 04:51 AM.
01-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I understand the advice of keeping the k-x and continue to shoot and see how it goes. And it's probably the best advice.

I don't know how to say it. I'll try to elaborate more...

Every time I see the fuji mirrorless I am prone to buy a second one x-t2 just because they're beautiful and small and they seems to have a lot of "at hand" commands that my k-x doesn't have and they don't cost a fortune.
Then I check the flickr photos of, let's say, the fujinon 56 1.2 apd and yes, they're good and appealing... but...

Whenever I open the flickr page of the pentax 55 1.4 (especially), the 77 1.8, and in a lesser way the 43 1.9 it's another story. I mean there's something special that impress me and I don't know what it is, they're like tridimensional, they have special colors, special contrast and bokeh rendition.
And it's a personal taste of course. For example a lot of people dislike the confusing bokeh of the 55 1.4, for me it's one of the best thing about his photos. I ADORE the Jupiter 9 85mm f2.0 pictures for the same reason, they pop out with outstanding tridimensionality due to that effect.
I don't know if it's related to the fact that these expensive lenses are generally owned by more skilled people. And that in the majority of the cases, photos are better. Who knows?

I obviously know that you can take a sensational photo with every kind of camera, even with your phone, and especially if you're not going to print it.
And i agree with all of you that buying one or the other lens depends on the FL you shoot the most.
I am just saying that it seems to me that, just looking at the photos randomly, they have something that I like more in the way they capture what you see.