Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also shooting the KP + 21 as a way of staving off GRIII desire. It's worked so far. But I do have the advantage of having the GR I when I really want something small.

01-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good input so far from everyone - really like the feedback from GR III users and expect that may be my end result.

But for now, day 1 started poorly due to figuring out how to pull the camera from my bag quickly but picked up a bit once I started shooting in 30 minutes before work.

Basically, I was stuffing the K3 in the bag too tightly. So I simply lay it in the bag face down and it comes out easily. Once I got started shooting, things fell into place.

I totally agree that it feels a lot more conspicuous shooting an SLR. For example, I was hesitant to take shots on a crowded subway car - though this may be the same using any camera.

Thoughts so far:
1) GR III will be less conspicuous and may enable me to be more confident shooting street. I definitely get shy at times.

2) One-handed shooting would be easier with GR III - BUT I was able to comfortably shoot with the K3 this morning with a bag of pastries in my left hand. The grips on Pentax cameras are simply awesome.

3) When walking around, I will likely use a strap (Peak Hand Strap or Black Rapid) and then will use the bag when I want to be discreet about carrying a camera. I feel a strap of some sort is a must due to the crowds of NYC. One hard bump and I lose a camera, lens or both.

4) I plan to try out the K1 as well - as I am curious how different it will feel from the K3 as part of the exercise. I absolutely love the high ISO performance of the K1.

More to come ....
01-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

You are doing an interesting experiment.

My own tastes led me to picking the GR for street photography. It's small enough for me to keep on my belt or in my hand when I go for a lunchtime walk in lower Manhattan. The 18mm lens (28 "equivalent") is wide enough to "shoot from the hip" and gives enough depth of field for manual pre-focus. TAv mode is especially useful; fast shutter speed to freeze walking subjects, stopped down a bit for depth of field, and let the camera pick ISO with the varying light levels of urban canyons.

Any Pentax DSLR can handle that technical part but can't match the size of the GR. The GR can come along on every commute, and is nearly invisible when using it. People react to a DSLR but generally ignore the GR. The GR also happens to be small enough to sneak past places that don't allow cameras; even if I don't want to take photos, I don't want to risk having a DSLR stolen from an unsecure coat check.
01-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #19

Original Poster
All good points, @DeadJohn . I especially agree on the "invisibility" of such a small camera and the security aspects. Still not getting one yet - but very enticing.

And an update:
I have had some interesting revelations so far.

1) I am going to redefine myself as more of an urban photographer than a street photographer (knowing that I could be totally wrong about this.) I generally think of a street photographer as someone who mainly photographs people and I am finding that while I do this as a part of my photo walks, I tend more towards environmental photos that show buildings, industry, and cars.

It may just be that unless I am in the mood or "brave" I shy away from the close up shots of people that are required with a 28, 35 or 40mm lens. I could be totally off here, but I want to convey my thought process as I proceed.

2) I got my K1 back from a friend's house and sat it next to my K3 II. While there is a pretty big size difference, I really love my K1. So I mounted a 40mm pancake and made it my camera for the day. It definitely is a bit too big to put in my little Ona bag face down for quick access, so I put on my Black Rapid Strap and wore the camera. And when I got to my desk at work, stuffed it in the bag. It fits well but requires some effort to pull out.

This also helped me overcome my reservations about having a camera by my side when I enter and exit the building! I am a photographer and I am proud of it! And when I go to meetings or trips out of town (Boston next week), I will keep the camera in my bag, but pull it out while I roam.

3) As far as the K1 vs. K3 II. Unfortunately, I can't use my 21mm 3.2 on the K1 as it is not compatible and apparently has a lot of vignetting (I need to try it to confirm) so I mounted a 40mm 2.8 which is just fine. I am losing out on the wide-angle aspect, but shooting this morning was okay. And it also gives me a bit more breathing room when I do take the people shots - I expect a bit less in their face is a bit more comfortable for me (though I am not doing a lot at the moment.)

I also simply love the low light capabilities of the K1 over the K3. I am not sure how this would compare to a GR III - since the sensor and software have likely come a long way in the past two years.

Expect some photos to be posted in the next few days. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, getting a keeper is not as easy as it sounds.

01-14-2020, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #20

Original Poster
So either my K1 w/ 40mm 2.8 Pancake or K3 II w/ 21mm 3.2 have been with me for the last two weeks. I have either been wearing them via a Black Rapid strap or putting them in my small briefcase camera bag.

Verdict to date: While the K1 and K3 II with small primes are somewhat portable, as a number of posters indicated above, they are not nearly as portable or as inconspicuous as a GR III would be. I expect that a GR III would be a phenomenal camera to carry all the time and with no excuses.

NOTE: I also don't feel the size difference between the K3 II and the K1 is big enough to make me choose the K3 II over the K1. My intention is to now sell the K3 II and my APC lenses since it just does not get enough use these days AND to buy a GR III.

Thanks for all of the input and sorry to the other APC users who, like me, are trying to save the $ required for a GR III. I will report back when I get the GR III though it will likely be a few months.

Photos from the experiment: 2020 Small Prime Challenge
01-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting results. Though I love my K-1, I would love to have a compact camera with full functionality, if I am able to sell off some other items and get a GRIII, I will do so, but probably not until the end of 2020.

I will recommend to anyone to try the DA 40 XS on APS-C or K-1 as a nice compact street carry, I have used this set up in multiple cities and it never fails.
01-17-2020, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #22

Original Poster
I think I should just get this:
This Leica camera costs $8300 ? but only shoots in black and white | Digital Camera World

Just need to sell EVERY PIECE of gear I have and will be set.

01-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
think I should just get this
Very Tempting, fortunately I have much more sense than I have disposable income.
01-20-2020, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Forum Member

GR iii and KP

I have both the GR III and the KP. Late summer 2019 I took the GR III and KP with 50-135mm, 24-70mm and 12-24mm on a trip to GB. I and a friend walked along the Thames Path for 3 days. On this trip I used both the GR III and KP. For me this combination was excellent. The GR III in my pocket was used on the go and in cities og streets. The KP when I needed other focal length or had more time to plan a photo.
Surprisingly about 50% of my best pictures was taken with my GR III. The picture quality from the GR III is on par wit my KP, so I had no hesitation using the GR III instead og the KP. The GR III will follow me on all my trips, but I will also bring my KP for situations where the GR III will shortcome.

The link is to my blog for those who want to see pictures from the trip along the Thames from Oxford til Goring.
The text is in norwegian, but the pictures are international ;-)

August 2019. Langs Themsen - Kjell Vikestad
10-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #25

Original Poster
Great shots and thanks for sharing. The trees by the edge of the water are beautiful. Also love the detail of the shot in the store.

QuoteOriginally posted by KjellAV Quote
I have both the GR III and the KP. Late summer 2019 I took the GR III and KP with 50-135mm, 24-70mm and 12-24mm on a trip to GB. I and a friend walked along the Thames Path for 3 days. On this trip I used both the GR III and KP. For me this combination was excellent. The GR III in my pocket was used on the go and in cities og streets. The KP when I needed other focal length or had more time to plan a photo.
Surprisingly about 50% of my best pictures was taken with my GR III. The picture quality from the GR III is on par wit my KP, so I had no hesitation using the GR III instead og the KP. The GR III will follow me on all my trips, but I will also bring my KP for situations where the GR III will shortcome.

The link is to my blog for those who want to see pictures from the trip along the Thames from Oxford til Goring.
The text is in norwegian, but the pictures are international ;-)

August 2019. Langs Themsen - Kjell Vikestad
11-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #26

I loved my GR. It's truly the best one handed camera made by people who understand photography. I still regret selling mine but that focal length doesn't suit my style of shooting.

- Soumya