Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D function

Hi, guys, and girls. I finally made the leap to digital. Historically I am a "Nikon guy", but the features that were available on the K20 at such a reasonable price, kinda made it a no brain-er. I am just learning the ins and outs, and have a question that I hope someone will be able to help me with. The camera started capturing images in a folder numbered 100 and all files are subsequent numbers. I want to start another folder with a new set of file numbers. I can't find how to do this in the manual. Can someone tell me how to do this. Do I have to name the folder or can I number it.

10-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure - but you can set it to make a new folder for each day and set your file name first 4 characters eg. I changes mine to CHSW....
10-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I changed the file name, and it automatically changed the folder number. Same with the folder name, it changes the number. All files are then numbered sequentially
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yepp, Pentax doesn't have "new folder" function, but you can change naming style from "100_PENTX" to "100_MMDD", shoot and change back and it'll make new folder.

But I actually don't care about naming. I've written script with Exiftool that runs every time I insert SD into card-reader and moves photos from SD to my hard drive renaming them by camera's Shutter Count and sorting them by dates.

10-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome Want....

Can't answer your question, as I don't have a 20D. However, some food for thought: make certain your naming/numbering/filing conventions allows room for growth.

I've gone through a number of file naming conventions, but have finally ended up with:
yyyymmdd-hhmm-IMGxxxx.

This filename is created when performing my Raw conversion, but other tools will allow you to do something similar if you shoot Jpegs.

Allows chronological sorts, and multiple bodies (as long as both bodies don't shoot the same image number within the same minute - you could use yyyymmdd-hhmmss-IMGxxxx, if that is an iconcern).