Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #31
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 20-40 is now available used at more reasonable price levels than the first year it was available so it should be within reach after you get the KP within a reasonable amount of time.

01-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The 20-40 is now available used at more reasonable price levels than the first year it was available so it should be within reach after you get the KP within a reasonable amount of time.
I did not realize until tonight the also very good-on-a-KP Pentax HD DA15 is now listed as a discontinued lens, but still available new from B&H for about $350. That's a great deal on a very worthy wide-angle IMHO.
01-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #33
Pentaxian

The KP is the best camera I've ever used. Amazing autofocus, great ergo decisions, amazing IQ and to top it all off it has the looks to boot.
01-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
...On the flip-side, it's a lot of money: I would need to get it on finance...
That's the point I would think hard about. Sure, the new thing is better, but debt would really bother me. If you wait and save as proposed later, the K-new will come out at some point, driving the price down on the Kp. You'll have to ignore the K-new specs which will be somehow awesome, because the price will probably be high. But the Kp will become cheaper and you could buy it outright. The worst case scenario is you pile up some money and buy lenses with it, which is not terrible.

01-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's the point I would think hard about. Sure, the new thing is better, but debt would really bother me. If you wait and save as proposed later, the K-new will come out at some point, driving the price down on the Kp. You'll have to ignore the K-new specs which will be somehow awesome, because the price will probably be high. But the Kp will become cheaper and you could buy it outright. The worst case scenario is you pile up some money and buy lenses with it, which is not terrible.
I wouldn't put money on the KP dropping too much, even the K-3II is still reasonably expensive used.
01-09-2020, 12:36 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I wouldn't put money on the KP dropping too much, even the K-3II is still reasonably expensive used.
Aye, Im going to save - its the sensible thing to do! It stretches my money further by not having to pay interest as well: any price drop from age is a bonus too, and if I time it right I might be able to hit this year's black-friday sales/

It also means I'll have another year to mount up on my experience-points, meaning I'll be able to make more out of the KP and/or lenses when I get round to that stage!
01-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CP, as the budget is limited have you considered buying second-hand? The majority of my stuff - bodies and lenses - is second user, and mainly from traders in the UK who give a good warranty, e.g. WEX Photo (which has stores in Scotland) warranty used bodies and lenses for 1 year.

Philip
01-09-2020, 03:12 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
CP, as the budget is limited have you considered buying second-hand? The majority of my stuff - bodies and lenses - is second user, and mainly from traders in the UK who give a good warranty, e.g. WEX Photo (which has stores in Scotland) warranty used bodies and lenses for 1 year.

Philip
I did indeed! In fact, all my gear except the O-GPS1 is secondhand

As this will be my camera for as long as possible, I would prefer a new one - BUT - having said that, my K-50 was secondhand and it will last me for a long time (especially given that I know how to replace the solenoid if/when it fails) - so, ultimately, I'll consider secondhand if the price is right - but the preference is for a new unit.

I've used Wex before as well - pretty sure that's where I picked up my 50mm DA lens secondhand - so I would have no qualms about buying from them again.

When the time comes I'll consider all the options

01-09-2020, 04:23 AM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is a thought

unless there is a KP that can be borrowed or rented the OP can't experience it until one is bought

but the OP could learn about it and its features and capabilities

in addition to research perhaps the OP might want to get the Ebook about the KP ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/386491-sa...ml#post4715159

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-09-2020 at 04:43 AM.
01-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a world of difference between the K-5 & the KP & more between the K-30 & the KP. Take the plunge.

Sell the K-50 coz it will probably develop the solonoid problem sitting around.
01-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote

On the flip-side, it's a lot of money: I would need to get it on finance
The KP is an awesome camera, but going into debt for something you don't really need? Nope!
01-09-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Yes, I should admit that I have tried the waiting strategy myself and not seen huge savings. The biggest price drop is always six weeks after.
01-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
here is a thought

unless there is a KP that can be borrowed or rented the OP can't experience it until one is bought

but the OP could learn about it and its features and capabilities

in addition to research perhaps the OP might want to get the Ebook about the KP ?

[30% off] Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, KP, K-70, K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2) - PentaxForums.com
Well, in this case, cp has already used a KP personally for a short time, but enough to know he likes it. Any rental money is money that could be put towards savings for purchase. In times past, I've been in similar circumstances where I had to save up to get some gear I wanted. I always made it a practice to buy new, the price being good for what it was, because modern cameras are such complex electronic devices. And there is no way to know that it has not been dropped or abused, with problems showing up months later.

As far as debt goes, I have sometimes bought on credit card, after getting rid of the outstanding balance or nearly so, and the way otherwise clear ahead to pay it off very quickly. These days I am able to not keep any significant running balance, so I pay little if any interest. As cp says, when the time comes to take a move, he will know.

I don't think the price will drop much more if at all. A camera of this build and quality can hardly be expected to sell at the level of an upper tier entry-level model. It is getting down not far from that now. I just hope Pentax does not plan to discontinue it after the new flagship arrives. The KP was not designed to be a flagship replacement, and its lightweight design plus low price is still very attractive and unique.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-09-2020 at 11:33 AM.
01-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well, in this case, cp has already used a KP personally for a short time, but enough to know he likes it. ..
I missed that info
01-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #45
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That's a pretty bold claim

Ok I'm going to have to ask you if you really think that ISO 12800 on the KP is as good as ISO 800 on the K-30.

I have a K-50 and a K-S1 and I can shoot both at ISO 3200 with no problems, they both clean up well if I shoot RAW. If I shoot APS-C I can get useful shots still with both at 3200 but there will be some color noise left - no big deal, just don't pixel peep too much.

I've looked at some K-70 shots at ISO 3200 and they don't seem a lot better than my in-camera JPEGs from the K-S1, honestly. And they look worse than the ones I cleaned up myself with RawTherapee. I don't think the KP is that much better than the K-70 (they're supposed to be about the same), so I wonder what is going on here...

But shooting ISO 800 on the K-30 seems way too conservative, I'd say even ISO 1600 looks decently clean on K-50 (which is a K-30 with a different makeup) and I need to see these ISO 12800 shots from the KP or K-70 that are a lot better than an in-camera JPEGs from the K-50 (or K-30) at ISO 1600. or even 3200
Yes they are bold claims - but they are also true. Yes the ISO 12800 JPEGs produced by my KP are the equal of ISO 800 JPEGs produced by my K-30. In addition, I no longer sharpen images as I did religiously with my K-30.. You may look at higher ISO photos from my KP - I have posted enough here in the past year.