Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2020, 09:58 AM - 7 Likes   #1

My unabashed praise of the K-70!

Hi Everyone, I'm a first time poster and although I've looked over the rules, I'm worried this is in the wrong place, so apologies if it is. However I needed a place to praise this wonderful camera.

I've decided I needed to post something after years of lurking. This change of heart has been spurred on by my recent impulse purchase of the wonderful K-70. I've always used Pentax, right back to when I was a child learning photography with my granddad's KX/ME Super. As a late convert to digital, my first DSLR was the K-50, which was a fine camera and one I enjoyed a lot. Then I had a brief flirtation with Mirrorless (forgive me) before coming to my senses and buying a used K-S2 (another fine camera). And then, due to a crazy Pentax £200 off promo code Wex were running, I found myself buying the K-70.

I guess I was expecting more of the same but my goodness, what an insanely good camera the K-70 is! Far and away the best digital camera I've owned. I don't know if it's because of the sensor, or something they changed in the processing but I'm just staring at these files in awe! Now, like many of you, I've always been a RAW shooter but with this thing I'm definitely going RAW+Jpeg because the output is stunning! All I've done is the “-3 extra sharpness” trick that a lot of people have mentioned and that's it. The files are just so gorgeous and the handling of noise is incredible. Oh and have I mentioned the dynamic range? I've started setting up high contrast shots just to sit there opened mouthed at what I'm seeing and this is without any work in post. There so much more latitude in the highlights than there was before.

Thank you Ricoh for such a beast of a camera body. It’s even more of a travesty now that Canon, Sony and all the rest get all the attention because the value and quality proposition of these recent Pentax bodies is off the charts!

01-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A belated welcome to forums, Stuart. Very glad you decided to post, especially with such a positive message. I agree with you entirely about the value and quality of Pentax bodies. My own gear is a little older so doesn't have the higher ISO capabilities of the K-70, but that aside there's really nothing more that I need and have never felt I over-paid for what I got - and yes, Canon, Sony and others may receive all the limelight and attention, but Pentax soldiers on, and those of us who "get" what the system offers are amply rewarded.

Enjoy your K-70!
01-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yay! It is always good to see a post from a happy owner.

Steve
01-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax does make great cameras. I'm always amazed when I upgrade bodies as to how much better they are to the previous. Glad you're tickled with your K-70!

01-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome! And yes, i love the K-70 as well, the file quality is amazing especially when the camera is so cheap I also shoot older models, K-5, K-200, K-x etc, all great machines but when high ISO is needed i go to K-70!
01-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly, my K-70 has been lost to a greedy() daughter and has been replaced since only a week by the KP. But you are absolutely correct, the K-70 is an insanely good camera.
01-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not only does the K-70 produce lovely files, but the camera body has a more upmarket feel than similarly-priced bodies from other manufacturers.

01-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
I really noticed how far ahead ”lower end” Pentax bodies were compared to other brands when a friend of mine asked me to take a picture of him with his camera. The viewfinder was like looking down a tunnel at the tiny image at the other end. He must be a pretty spectacular photographer if he can compose through that (better than me anyway lol)
01-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-70 has been the undisputed bargain for the past year or two for me. It has been on sale for as low as £250 and usually £350, I cannot believe it doesn't have more sales.

I personally think Pentax have missed out on that one!

My brother has to sell his to recoup funds but even he insists that he will buy no other body apart from this one.
01-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's great to hear some praise for Pentax rather than some of the typical whining from the usual suspects about how they're (supposedly) not up to the standard of Canikony. In my experience Pentax make excellent cameras at a very good price. They may not be packed with the latest features, and they may not release a new model every 3 months, but they are solid, reliable cameras that will take good photos for years.
01-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
It has been on sale for as low as £250
If you ever see that price again, please please please post it here!
01-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sharing the opinion. I am really in love with my K-70. What an amazing body ! I almost forget it’s a camera. It’s like a rock in my hand. The grip is fantastic and there’s so more to say on imagery... my best buddy for years to come.
01-10-2020, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Sadly, my K-70 has been lost to a greedy() daughter and has been replaced since only a week by the KP. But you are absolutely correct, the K-70 is an insanely good camera.
You again. She doesn't seem so greedy as you seem to have successfully held on to your KP!
01-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the K70. An upper mid level camera at an entry level price compared to all the others.
01-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is amazing how far the technology, or combination of technologies have taken us, especially during the culmination evidenced in the last few years. You are right- even the out-of-camera results have become so impressive it is hard to believe. I too have come through numerous past Pentax models, still sometimes shooting with my K-5 IIs or very lightweight but fine K-S2, yet I have been likewise stunned at what I'm getting even right out of my KP, just as you have been with your K-70!

You mention the "-3 extra sharpness trick" and I wonder if you are referring to adjustments made in the Custom Image menus. This is what I do- implement "Fine Sharpening" especially in the "Bright" category, where I have my camera set by default most of the time, and also same in the "Natural" category, where I also advance sharpening level one notch, in addition to "Fine Sharpening", to match the default level in the "Bright" category. I've done this with several models, to good benefit for out-of-camera results.