Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Catch in focus limitation

Hi there,

This is an old problem wonder if any new tricks can solve it after all these years.

Catch in focus is a very useful feature Pentax provided on their DSLR, this is particular useful with tele lens as Pentax AF is not particularly fast, I can pan follow a bird or butterfly while adjusting focus then I will get some useful shots. But unfortunately CIF does not work with all lens, there must be linkage electronically with the body in order to use it, I can not use CIF with non coupled m42 lens for example. I thought the adapter mount shorted the contacts so that disabled the CIF, but it doesn't work even I taped (insulated) the mount, effectively shooting without the camera knowing a lens is mounted, or I've to tape particular contacts not all of them ?

01-11-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I use CIF with K and M series lenses, no electronic connection and it works great. One of the features that really differentiates Pentax for me.
01-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Didn't work with mirror lens with T2 adapter
01-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out this earlier thread. M42 lenses should work if you short out the data pin. I have done so successfully with my m42 lenses:

Can Catch in focus work with reversed M42 lens (K-r)? - PentaxForums.com

01-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Check out this earlier thread. M42 lenses should work if you short out the data pin. I have done so successfully with my m42 lenses:

Can Catch in focus work with reversed M42 lens (K-r)? - PentaxForums.com
Then I simply need to tape the rest beside 'A' pin coz the adapter already shorted all pins.
01-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I confirm that didn't work on the K3 with T2 mount, fyi in an early test I sanded the mount to remove the paint so the mount is fully conductive, now I taped other than pin 1 position leaving pin 1 short but that didn't work, I then simply short pin 1 w/o mounting the lens also didn't work and shoot continuously regardless the focus, the CIF only work with electronically coupled lens, for example the 16-50 and the Samyang 85/1.4 that has one contact point, I didn't win the Takuma 50 so can't test.
01-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used CIF with m42 & K lenses; however I've found CIF to be imprecise with long tele lenses.

A mirror lens may be too dark/low contrast for CIF to work reliably.

01-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've used CIF with m42 & K lenses; however I've found CIF to be imprecise with long tele lenses.

A mirror lens may be too dark/low contrast for CIF to work reliably.
What model are you using ? if it was too dark to focus it won't fire at all, have you try shorting the contact w/o lens ?