Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MotoMind Quote
I mean obsolete simply in the sense that it is no longer current, and where all of its features and capabilities have been superceded in subsequent cameras. You can definitely get a lot of use out of it, but with a K1 budget you can get a lot of cameras better in literally every respect. It is obsolete in the sense that no one rationally unnostalgically chooses to buy a Corvair when they can have a Corolla.

Pretty much. I am a Luddite myself. I have owned a K10D since 2009 and only recently bought a KP. I hated the KP because the shooting experience and battery management were crippled in comparison. It only gained appeal when I put a 40mm pancake lens on it and made it a my everyday carry, where the dynamic range and better sensor means more keepers.

The experience also showed me how good the K10D still is when shooting raw, when fitted with a fast prime, and when I fixed some mild back-focusing issues that it apparently had for a long time (and all along I thought it was just due to being old). But I don't fool myself, most of the photos I take with it are flawed under difficult conditions. But people use Instagram filters that make scientifically perfect photos look grainy or washed out, and some people take photos with disposable cameras or instant cameras and like the feel or character. I happen to be happy with the limitations and the low cost, and apparently you are too. But being happy with an old weak product takes a lot of introspection, or delusion.
You're taking a bit of flack here, when I think you've actually been rather positive about the K10D

I will say, though, I had owned and used the Corolla (my K-3) for some considerable time before I acquired my first Corvair (GX-10 / K10D). I bought it because of many photos I'd seen on these forums with a certain something I couldn't quite put my finger on, plus the fact that it seemed to have an extraordinarily loyal fan-base. Within a couple of months, it supplanted the K-3 as my go-to camera, at least in conditions where it was suitable. If I'm going on vacation and have no idea what I might end up shooting, then of course I take the K-3, as it's capable of handling a wider range of situations. But if I'm merely going out for a morning, afternoon or day's shooting and know that conditions will suit, I take the GX-10 in preference. It's simpler in use, and I really love the quality of the raw files at lower ISOs. As @Dartmoor Dave; indicated, you can try every trick in the book to emulate the output by applying profiles and other processing to files from more recent CMOS sensor cameras, but it's only ever a reasonable approximation at best.

I bought additional GX-10s and a K10D when I found low shutter count examples at low prices, as I'd never want to be without one. Much as I rate the K-3 - a fantastic camera - I don't feel that same need to insure myself against its future unavailability...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-14-2020 at 02:56 PM.
01-14-2020, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #32

Ok, I apologise, the OP did write "I like the K10D because of the way it renders the photos, when I was browsing the flickr group the photos look like they were shot on film, after all it has a CCD sensor." I failed to read properly.

He should definitely buy a K10D, my responses are inconsistent with what we need to write to someone looking to validate the CCD look and film feel of the camera.

It definitely has a look and probably will do what he wants, sounds like an educated shopper.
01-14-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Can we stop talking about the k10d before I go ahead and get myself another one, please?
01-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I apologise, the OP did write "I like the K10D because of the way it renders the photos, when I was browsing the flickr group the photos look like they were shot on film, after all it has a CCD sensor." I failed to read properly.

He should definitely buy a K10D, my responses are inconsistent with what we need to write to someone looking to validate the CCD look and film feel of the camera.

It definitely has a look and probably will do what he wants, sounds like an educated shopper.
You have nothing to apologise for. I wish all discussions here were so civilised! I hope the responses from me and our other K10D / GX-10 fans didn't come across as anything other than enthusiastic rebuttal... We're a passionate sub-culture, you know

01-14-2020, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #35

All posts taken in stride. I like the K10D too, mostly because it gives me those "deep black" 0,0,0 shadows when trying to shoot something outdoors. Only halfway kidding, after shooting the K10D for so long I feel like the world is itself a bit overexposed. But I'm also conscious of liking a lot of unique things not on the leading edge of the performance curve, so for everyone else's safety I think it's important to highlight the limitations. In this case, I'm realising the OP and everyone involved are pretty well aware of those.
01-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All posts taken in stride. I like the K10D too, mostly because it gives me those "deep black" 0,0,0 shadows when trying to shoot something outdoors. Only halfway kidding, after shooting the K10D for so long I feel like the world is itself a bit overexposed. But I'm also conscious of liking a lot of unique things not on the leading edge of the performance curve, so for everyone else's safety I think it's important to highlight the limitations. In this case, I'm realising the OP and everyone involved are pretty well aware of those.
Looking back through your comments in this thread I can see that you've actually been very fair in what you've said about the K10D. Apologies for responding in a way that you really didn't deserve.