Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which metal is used for the K mount?

Does anyone know which metal is used in the K mount on DSLR bodies, in particular on the K-S1? I'm assuming aluminium, but I really need to know for certain.

I've recently figured out a hack for the K mount that enables TAv mode with M42 lenses, but so far I've only done it by shorting out the correct contacts on my K-S1 with little bits of foil held in place by electrical tape. I'd now like to make the hack permanent, but I know that aluminium can be a pig to solder. So if anyone can confirm which metal I'm actually dealing with on the camera mount it'll make preparing for the job easier.

01-12-2020, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the mount is stainless steel, aluminium would wear too fast.
Soldering will not really be viable, I would try self adhesive aluminium foil:
Aluminium Foil Tape - ALUM001
01-12-2020, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It looks like Aluminum, but may also be the magnesium alloy used in camera bodies. Either way it's tough to solder The electrical contacts are brass.
01-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. The aluminium tape sounds like a great idea, so I think I'll try that first.

01-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #5

The mount on the camera is non-magnetic so it's either a magnesium or aluminum alloy.

I saw somewhere that someone used a piece of an old aluminum beverage can and cut out a collar to attach to the lens base. Since the can is coated you can remove the coating on the spots for the contacts.
01-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I saw somewhere that someone used a piece of an old aluminum beverage can and cut out a collar to attach to the lens base. Since the can is coated you can remove the coating on the spots for the contacts.
I'd been thinking of a sort of similar approach, but modifying the mount on the camera itself rather than having to adapt each lens. It's just a case of shorting three contacts to trick the camera into thinking it's got an A series f/1.2 lens mounted, and I've been happily shooting the K-S1 in TAv mode with my Takumars since Christmas. (Tricking the camera into thinking it's an f/1.2 lens makes it assume that the opening and closing of the physical aperture on the lens is just a change in the real-world light level, so it sets the correct ISO automatically in TAv mode.)

My K-S1 has got aperture block failure, so I use it as an M42 only camera anyway.
01-12-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #7

Okay, since you don't care if the contacts change with the lens what I've seen done before is to remove the mount and lay a strip of metallic foil over the contacts you want to short and replace the mount. Just be careful not to break the ground wire connected to the mount ring.

01-12-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Its plated brass
01-12-2020, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-10D, K-5, and K-1 all have brass mount rings plated with maybe nickel and perhaps chrome.
01-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So perhaps I could file it down to brass on the inside of the mount and then permanently short the contacts by soldering? I just feel like a soldered solution would be more robust than any of the different foil methods I've seen online.

What I'd really like to do is get a machinist to fabricate a replacement mount that shorts the contacts and has an M42 screw thread rather than the K bayonet, but I expect the cost would be prohibitive.
01-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The K-10D, K-5, and K-1 all have brass mount rings plated with maybe nickel and perhaps chrome.

Just intrigued: Is there any definite source on this?

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-12-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Typo eliminated
01-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Just intrigued: Is there any definite source on this?

The mount on my old P30t "test" body is definitely plated brass, as is my K-70, which is the only other body I've got which shows sufficient wear to determine such things. I doubt things would have changed for any other body.

---------- Post added 01-12-20 at 03:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
So perhaps I could file it down to brass on the inside of the mount and then permanently short the contacts by soldering? I just feel like a soldered solution would be more robust than any of the different foil methods I've seen online.

What I'd really like to do is get a machinist to fabricate a replacement mount that shorts the contacts and has an M42 screw thread rather than the K bayonet, but I expect the cost would be prohibitive.

Why not just modify your existing mount (or maybe one from an old "donor" camera) then "fit and forget" an OEM M42-PK adaptor.

I'll admit to being happy to work in Manual with my 42-screw lenses, so I've not bothered to consider modifying my camera, but my *ist DS is permanently fitted with an M42-PK adaptor and I treat it just like it was a screw-mount body. Just a pity Pentax never saw fit to enable the auto-stop-down of screw-mount lenses on their bayonet bodies, like Fujica did, so each of my auto-aperture screw-mount lenses that don't have an a/m switch have had to be modified to hold the pin in
01-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The mount on the camera is non-magnetic so it's either a magnesium or aluminum alloy.

It could be plated brass, best way to find out is to find an area that is not critical and file a very small V notch in it.
01-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #14

It could be plated brass, which is the traditional material for lens and camera mounts.

However my K10D mount has a score in it, maybe as much as 1/2 mm deep and there is no brass color evident. I examined it with a 15× magnifier under bright light.

Update: Closer examination of the "slots" for the k-mount tabs shows some "brassing" in the corners and edges so most likely plated brass.
01-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question. The conventional and traditional answer here has been stainless steel on the body and plated brass on the lenses. That said, I have a number of old cameras, some of which show brassing, though none of those are Pentax-brand. I have seen some ads for Pentax dSLRs where severe scoring was present, and don't recall brassing.

Steve