Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #1

Anyone else with this problem? K200 freezes

Hi all,

I am having this problems for some time now. After I take a photo or several it happens one of the following:

1: the lens blocks in an arbitrary state (remains open, or half open) and the camera doesn't even shut down. I have to manually remove the batteries.
2: the lens opens/closes rapidly and I have to remove the batteries.
3: the shutter click is heard, but the photo is not taken.

The batteries never show "low" or "empty".

Lens: Sigma 50mm Macro
Pentax 12-24 mm

Anca

10-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Such erratic behavior means only one thing: False contacts! (dirty contacts somewhere).

I would try first to give a good cleaning to all the lens mount contacts (both sides camera and lens) and test again.

You can clean the contacts with a cotton swab damped in alcohol.

Good luck.

Robert B.
10-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have any other suggestions for you, just a data point that I've never encountered the problems you mention with my K200D.
10-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes once but this was a cold drive across the Golden Gate bridge in one of those open top buses but in my case i think it was the batteries that got cold, that said , the manual does specify the operating temp is 0c to ? (i forgot) ...it'll be tested fully as winter approaches here in Toronto.

10-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a similar problem with my K200D - I'd take a shot, camera LCD would kinda "blink" (can't think of a better word) but there'd be no picture to look at. Battery indicater showed "half-full". Turned out to be the batteries - installed new ones and everything worked as it should.

Now, whenever the indicater shows "half-full", I replace the batteries and have had no more problems.
10-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll try first to replace the batteries since its easier (ChipB) and then, if still doesn't do any good, to clean the mount (rburgoss).

Temperature is not an issue (Clicker) . The temperature here, in it's lowest, it's +5Celsius degrees.

I'll post the results soon.
10-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by anca Quote
Thanks guys. I'll try first to replace the batteries since its easier (ChipB) and then, if still doesn't do any good, to clean the mount (rburgoss).

Temperature is not an issue (Clicker) . The temperature here, in it's lowest, it's +5Celsius degrees.

I'll post the results soon.
off topic: are you by any chance romanian or of romanian descent?

Radu

10-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
It was the batteries

I can't believe that low batteries can make such a mess.

Isn't it a fault the way Pentax manages this power issue? After all, when opening the cammera, the batteries show full/half-full.

I am supposed to change the batteries when the cammera behaviour becomes erratic?
10-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Banned

Ive run my batteries completely dead countless times. I don't own a K200, but I have never experienced this with my camera. what kind of batteries are you using?
10-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I can't believe that low batteries can make such a mess.

Isn't it a fault the way Pentax manages this power issue? After all, when opening the cammera, the batteries show full/half-full.

I am supposed to change the batteries when the cammera behaviour becomes erratic?
Well, this isn't normal behavior. I've never seen anything like what you describe. When my batteries lose juice, the camera simply shuts down, as one would expect. What kind of batteries are you using? Hopefully not alkaline...
10-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Ive run my batteries completely dead countless times. I don't own a K200, but I have never experienced this with my camera. what kind of batteries are you using?

The batteries came with the package. Energizer +AA. Lithium.

I'll see in a few days how these new ones behave when they will run low.
10-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Yeah, batteries running low should not do that. I just get a message about batteries being empty on the LCD screen and the thing shuts down.
10-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For future reference, 4 Sanyo Eneloops + good charger should keep you happy for a long time.
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The batteries came with the package. Energizer +AA. Lithium.

I'll see in a few days how these new ones behave when they will run low.
Interesting - when I had my problem I was also using the Energizer lithiums that came with the K200D. Installed some backup alkalines and used them until they went dead (no weird problems) and now use Eneloops.
10-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
Banned

I think its definitely a problem with that particular brand of batteries. I second Dan's advice. a set of sanyo eneloops and a good quality charger, like the LaCrosse BC-900 will be the best investment you can make for your camera .