Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Impressive effort and nice article!

Fits well with my experience with the K-5/K-3/K-1. Somewhat less scientific, but I have always treated 2 bars as a "swap as soon as is convenient" signal, and 1 bar as "swap as soon as possible".
Very well said.

01-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Sometimes my wife (gently) suggests to me that I spend more time on the technical parts than taking pictures!
My wife is another astronomer, so she understands the fun of collecting and analysing data!

The data logger has been checked out, so maybe some more data real-soon-now (but don't hold your breath - still writing up NASA proposal reviews, and then a trip to Phoenix for a few days).

Nobody has offered me a dead battery, yet. There must be some out there (and their old chargers, too).
01-21-2020, 05:40 AM   #18
Forum Member

The exif on my K30 with Eneloops is

V1: 5.16 V
V2: 4.76 V

I measured the batteries at 5.20 V unloaded

Would V1 and V2 be min/max voltage during exposure? It doesnt really explain why you are seeing a larger difference in voc - V1 than I am when you are using a better battery, unless you have SR on?
01-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ekip Quote
The exif on my K30 with Eneloops is V1: 5.16 V V2: 4.76 V. I measured the batteries at 5.20 V unloaded. Would V1 and V2 be min/max voltage during exposure? It doesnt really explain why you are seeing a larger difference in voc - V1 than I am when you are using a better battery, unless you have SR on?
I haven't looked at the K-30 battery level indications, so I'm not sure of the voltages in camera.

Your Eneloops are nickel-metal-hydride cells, which have a 'nominal' voltage of 1.2 V and a fully-charged Voc of approx. 1.45 V per cell (5.8 V for the pack of 4), so their operating voltages are lower than the Pentax D-LI190 and D-LI90 lithium-ion batteries. The differences between Voc and V1 may be a characteristic of the different cameras (i.e., different operating dynamics), different in-camera voltage pick-off points, or the different battery types.

Was Voc measured at the same time as the image that shows V1 in its Exif data?

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-21-2020 at 09:46 AM.
01-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Good to know the transition points that seem rather unintuitive.

But something I am almost sure (but I would have to test it to be definitely sure) happens with my K-S2 is that when I change from Viewfinder mode to Live View, the battery indication on the screen changes to a lower level, and when I change back from Live View to Viewfinder mode, it goes up again. Can anyone else confirm that this happens with their cameras? I don't think it happens when the battery is close to 100% full, but at lower charge levels I think I had this happen a number of times.
I thought this made sense in a way that the battery indicator does not show the charge level of the battery, but rather the remaining time it is going to be usable under current conditions, e.g. temperature and power drawn.
But if I understood you correctly, it would mean that I can find an indication as to what the battery voltage was when a shot was taken in the EXIFs? So because in Live View it draws more power, the voltage drops and so does the charge level indicated on the screen, is that what happens? That would mean that the transitions from one higher charge level to a lower one would happen earlier in Live View, is that the case?
Again, I'm quite sure that I've seen the indication jump from "2 bars" to "1 bar" when switching to Live View, and back up to "2 bars" again when going back to Viewfinder mode, but not 100% sure...

I'd wish for Pentax to implement a "percent of battery remaining" indication, like every smartphone has, and my 8 year old Nikon 1 V1 has as well, although hidden in the menus. Do other DSLRs have a percentage based indication of remaining battery life?
01-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Good to know the transition points that seem rather unintuitive.

But something I am almost sure (but I would have to test it to be definitely sure) happens with my K-S2 is that when I change from Viewfinder mode to Live View, the battery indication on the screen changes to a lower level, and when I change back from Live View to Viewfinder mode, it goes up again. Can anyone else confirm that this happens with their cameras? I don't think it happens when the battery is close to 100% full, but at lower charge levels I think I had this happen a number of times.
This also happens on either or both my K-70 and KP. I've seen the symptom described and simply put it down to the camera drawing more power so the potential battery life would be less ... thought so little about it I'm not even sure which, if not both, of my cameras it happened on.
I'd certainly take it as "normal", possibly more apparent when the camera is cold (low ambient temperature), but not something to worry about. I've always got at least one spare battery in my bag (or pocket if it's really cold!).

Last edited by kypfer; 01-21-2020 at 11:28 PM.
01-21-2020, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote

I'd wish for Pentax to implement a "percent of battery remaining" indication, like every smartphone has, and my 8 year old Nikon 1 V1 has as well, although hidden in the menus. Do other DSLRs have a percentage based indication of remaining battery life?
I'm not aware of any other camera manufacturer that do not have battery meter that show remaining capacity in percent. At least for batteries in advanced cameras. I believe Nikon introduced smart batteries on D200 released 2005, and Canon have had it for long in their DSLR too, at least since 5D mk II from 2009.

Another good thing with smart batteries is that they usually keep track on more things than battery level.
FI numbers of shots captured since last charge, and health status of the battery.

I remember my K7 could go from "full green" to "depleted" when switched to live-view. So it basically required a fresh fully charged battery for LV.

Last edited by Fogel70; 01-21-2020 at 10:02 PM.