Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All That Glitters is not...silver

I have recently become aware that the K-70 advertised on B&H and Adorama sites and elsewhere are not, indeed, silver, but a dark grey color that Ricoh calls "Silky Silver." The illustrations used look just like the real silver colors of all the silver Pentax lenses and the Special Edition Silver K-7, K-5, K-3 etc.

B&H says they get their illustrations from the manufacturer. The Ricoh website calls the non-black K-70 "Silky Silver" , and the K-P "Silver" but does not show a picture of a silver K-P. The picture of the K-70 looks like real silver on all the monitors I've used.

Anyhow, no biggie, but long story short, I now have a "silver" K-70 that doesn't match either my black or my silver lenses.

Pete Pen

01-22-2020, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It's more of a graphite/gunmetal color. I'm not a fan of the color either.
01-22-2020, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Ah yes, graphite grey. The 1980s are back.
01-22-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Right. I found that out when buying my KP now over two years ago. I bought the KP in silver, which is the real deal. I find the "silver" situation with the K-70 to be very odd, since it does not really match the readily available silver finish of certain high-end Pentax lenses. Only the KP can be a match. So does Pentax wish to narrow the market of these lenses to those who own a KP, or who like a silver lens on a black body? (I am ok with that, but many are not) Very strange.

To make this development even stranger, back during the 1990's, Pentax offered less expensive 35mm SLR bodies that came in silver/black, which were of plastic construction like the K-70, yet the silver was really silver, and does actually match the current silver lenses, even the DA line which did not exist back then! So if you find a ZX/MZ 5n in top condition for example, it will accommodate silver DA 15mm, 21mm, 40mm, and 70mm Limiteds with an excellent color match! But none of these will have good function with that camera. The 40mm can work fine with the ZX-L/MZ-6, which comes in silver and has electronic aperture control available. The FA 43mm and 77mm Limiteds, available in silver, will work fine with either of those film bodies, being designed for 35mm film and having an aperture ring. So since these were not high-priced cameras, yet they were able to produce them in a matching silver, it can't be a price issue that would explain why we don''t have a K-70 that will match with those lenses, as we did back in the film era!

01-22-2020, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
At least it's not paired with pink.
01-23-2020, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Better than the gaudy range of bright colours offered in some previous Pentax products. I think they are proceeding in a more conservative manner to provide some personalization - fifty shades of grey.