Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
editing software

any suggestions on photo editing software for a mac other than adobe. when i updated recently my elements 18 became a $100.00 frisbee. no warning and no offer of an update from adobe when i contacted them.

01-24-2020, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want to replace Photoshop

Pixelmator Pro

If you want to replace Lightroom

Cutting-edge Photo Editor for Mac & PC | Skylum

Affinity, Luminar, and Pixelmator all work as extensions to Apple Photos as well.

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-24-2020 at 02:41 PM.
01-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have heard good things about Affinity Photo. They have a Mac version, a free trial, and it's only $50 to buy. None of this subscription garbage. Best of luck!
01-24-2020, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

rawtherapee and darktable are highly regarded.

01-24-2020, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
any suggestions on photo editing software for a mac other than adobe. when i updated recently my elements 18 became a $100.00 frisbee. no warning and no offer of an update from adobe when i contacted them.

Skylum's Luminar 4 is simply the bees' knees..... I've been waiting for the upgrade from version 3 and now running 4.1 and loving it...
01-24-2020, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Skylum's Luminar 4 is simply the bees' knees..... I've been waiting for the upgrade from version 3 and now running 4.1 and loving it...
I had to replace my 10 year old Mac mini with a 3 year old PC, but Luminar 4 runs great on the PC...Couldn't afford a used Mac that meets Luminar 4 requirements Mac mini is still a good media server though...No more Adobe tax...
01-24-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
..No more Adobe tax...
bingo...

01-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
I have heard good things about Affinity Photo. They have a Mac version, a free trial, and it's only $50 to buy. None of this subscription garbage. Best of luck!
I use Affinity for some creative stuff and sometimes for contrast ,colour & crop and it is very good for the price. But I try to capture and use the Camera image as much as possible using Windows 10 photo editor to adjust the exposure.

Last edited by pentaxic; 01-26-2020 at 06:48 AM.
01-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Presumably you are referring to MacOS Catalina, which has severed support for 32bit apps. I'm not sure it's fair to say there's been
no warning
. Adobe even have a dedicated page. Indeed, Apple are not pushing Catalina as aggressively as they might normally push an OS update. You have to actively choose to update to Catalina. Of course, if you have automatic updates turned on then all bets are off. It is always good policy to check before doing an OS upgrade.

That said, I would encourage you to look at Affinity Photo. It's a full featured photo editor that compares well with the full version of Photoshop but costs about the same as Photoshop Elements.
01-28-2020, 03:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

+1 for Darktable.

Check our own posts about it: The Darktable Users Coterie - PentaxForums.com.

Best regards,
01-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

... when i updated recently my elements 18 became a $100.00 frisbee.

If the CD is suitable for both Mac and PC maybe you could sell it on to someone who's Windows based? My Windows is right up-to-date but much of my software is over 10 years old ... I've never needed to update it and it continues to function
01-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If the CD is suitable for both Mac and PC maybe you could sell it on to someone who's Windows based? My Windows is right up-to-date but much of my software is over 10 years old ... I've never needed to update it and it continues to function
i donated it to the teacher at my wife's school that teaches a photography class. i actually help him from time to time with field trips. i have used macs since the 90's and this is the first time have had this issue. actually on further reflection its my own fault i knew the 64 bit was coming but didn't realize that it affected such new software. but adobe had a page dedicated to it as i was informed here i just never saw it. life goes on.
01-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

I absolutely love my PhotoLab software. They have sales all the time. PhotoLab is included with the Nik Plug-in software but then I upgraded to the Elite version.