Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2020, 02:52 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do not know what to think on this one. Quite disturbing RE; Ricoh

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently contacted my favorite Camera Sales and Service Center inquiring as to how much would it cost and how long would it take to a new focus screen in for my Pentax

K-7. Much to my surprise and chagrin, I was informed that the Center can no longer get parts from Ricoh/Pentax. Let me emphasize, NO PARTS AT ALL!!! Last time the

Center ordered parts from Ricoh/Pentax was approximately one year ago and it took constant pressure to get the part to finally arrive after approximately two months.

As if that news in itself wasn't disturbing enough, the Center added that Ricoh/Pentax is going down. Well, I do not know about the second part, but I do however believe the

news regarding the discontinuing of supplying parts. That is somewhat of a nebulus area that is difficult to get an accurate read. I do wish the Company the very best in the

future.

Thanks for reading and I will certainly appreciate any and all contributions to this thread.

Tonytee

01-27-2020, 03:07 AM - 13 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tony

Firstly, let's get the issue of "Ricoh/Pentax is going down" out of the way. That's not happening, and it's a black mark against your favourite camera sales and service center for saying so. Shame on them. They wouldn't get my business, that's for sure.

Secondly, regarding the issue of parts... Is this service center an authorised Pentax repair facility? If not, I can understand why they don't have access to parts, even if they once did. Personally, I think all camera manufacturers should make parts for their cameras easily available, but sadly this often isn't the case - and it's not just a Pentax thing. If you approach your regional authorised Pentax service facility, they will be able to repair your camera if parts are still available... at a cost, of course, and that cost may or may not be economical.

Lastly, your K-7 was released in 2009, and - whilst a fine camera - is considered old now. It's quite likely that certain parts are no longer in stock. Hence, even if your regional authorised service facility is technically capable of repairing the camera, it may not be able to get certain parts.
01-27-2020, 03:08 AM - 7 Likes   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I recently contacted my favorite Camera Sales and Service Center inquiring as to how much would it cost and how long would it take to a new focus screen in for my Pentax

K-7. Much to my surprise and chagrin, I was informed that the Center can no longer get parts from Ricoh/Pentax. Let me emphasize, NO PARTS AT ALL!!! Last time the

Center ordered parts from Ricoh/Pentax was approximately one year ago and it took constant pressure to get the part to finally arrive after approximately two months.

As if that news in itself wasn't disturbing enough, the Center added that Ricoh/Pentax is going down. Well, I do not know about the second part, but I do however believe the

news regarding the discontinuing of supplying parts. That is somewhat of a nebulus area that is difficult to get an accurate read. I do wish the Company the very best in the

future.

Thanks for reading and I will certainly appreciate any and all contributions to this thread.

Tonytee
Sounds like your service centre has a sad excuse for not being bothered to help you.
01-27-2020, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In addition to BigMackCam's comments (which are spot on) - a focus screen for the K7 is probably available second hand on either this forum, many camera shops or even some well known auction site. If I remember correctly it is user changeable???

Hope that helps

01-27-2020, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
In addition to BigMackCam's comments (which are spot on) - a focus screen for the K7 is probably available second hand on either this forum, many camera shops or even some well known auction site. If I remember correctly it is user changeable???

Hope that helps
Absolutely. In fact, the screen itself is probably available on eBay (it's the same screen as used in the K-5 and K-3) - and it's an easy swap-out installation. Whilst many users are happy to do it themselves, any repair shop should be able to do it in five minutes...

EDIT: I believe the screen you need is the MF-60 (but please check in the manual if you're going to order one yourself). Here's an eBay link for several sellers:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=pentax+mf-60+screen&_sacat=0

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-27-2020 at 04:53 AM.
01-27-2020, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
As if that news in itself wasn't disturbing enough, the Center added that Ricoh/Pentax is going down. Well, I do not know about the second part
Nor does your camera repair shop.

It is not unusual for manufacturers to restrict the supply of spares to their own approved repair centres.
01-27-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

only a few things are certain about rumors [ rumours ]

often they have no basis in fact

they spread quickly

and there is often little one can do about them

01-27-2020, 05:07 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
. . . EDIT: I believe the screen you need is the MF-60 (but please check in the manual if you're going to order one yourself). Here's an eBay link for several sellers:

pentax mf-60 screen | eBay
page 10 of the Appendix shows 4 different types of focus screens

MF-60 Frame Matte

ML-60 Divided Matte

MI-60 Scale Matte

ME-60 Plain Matte

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-7.pdf
01-27-2020, 05:19 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
page 10 of the Appendix shows 4 different types of focus screens

MF-60 Frame Matte

ML-60 Divided Matte

MI-60 Scale Matte

ME-60 Plain Matte

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-7.pdf
Indeed - there are several that fit. But I believe the MF-60 is what shipped with the camera. It looks identical to that in my K-3. The ML-60 has rule of thirds divisions, MI-60 has scale markings (rather like a rifle scope), and the ME-60 has no markings at all...

The MF-60 is, I'm sure, the right one.
01-27-2020, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Here you go and in stock : Pentax MF-60 AF Standard Focusing Screen 38578 B&H Photo Video

Have ordered a few in the past - easy to install.
01-27-2020, 05:38 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

no argument from me it is marked ( * ) on the page I found
01-27-2020, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Even better!

@TonyTee - personally, I wouldn't even bother going back to your service center, but if you do, be sure to show them just how readily available the focusing screens are. If any one of us can call or e-mail B&H to order the very part needed, I'm sure they could too, assuming they actually want folks' business
01-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Here you go and in stock : Pentax MF-60 AF Standard Focusing Screen 38578 B&H Photo Video

Have ordered a few in the past - easy to install.
I changed the focus screen in my K-5 to the one that has the divided scale in thirds. The screen comes with instructions and is easy to change. The most difficult part is just making sure you don't get any dust on it while handling it. Since you can get inexpensively in 4 different versions new, there is no need to look for a used one.

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-27-2020 at 07:08 AM. Reason: correct typo
01-27-2020, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Tony when my k-3 needed repairs my warranty mandated service center could not get the parts from pentax as they are not an authorized pentax shop.. they were told by pentax to use Precision(or so I was told). Odds are your shop didnt want to be bothered by something like a focus screen. Im curious if after the "Ricoh/Pentax is going down" comment they happened to suggest it was time to upgrade to some other brand they had on sale.? Thats a classic tactic if they did.

AL
01-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
damaged?

Is the screen damaged or just dirty?