Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback and advice. The ergonomics part makes a lot of sense, especially in fast paced environments. I love the heft of my K3 and feel the weight helps stabilize it when in my hands. The battery difference is huge and I hadn’t fully considered that: different batteries, needing at least 2 for each camera AND two different chargers AND trying to charge both while on the road. That to me is big! I’ll wait to CP+ to see what happens, it’s only a month away, and if there isn’t much news, its another K3ii.

Again, thanks all for the info!!!

01-31-2020, 04:32 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently acquired my KP by being very lucky and winning the November contest

the controls of it compared to my K 3 and K 3 II are quite different and in different positions as well

using both " in tandem " will have the strong possibility of confusion

I hope that as I learn the KP " system " such confusion will be minimum

but that will be a journey

as far as the cost of a battery grip

some of us get them, not only for the additional battery but it makes the camera fit our hands better and balances longer lenses as well

I have always obtained battery grips ( one of the reason I added the K 3 II while owning the K 3 is that I got the battery grip free as part of the sale of the K 3 II )

with the KP battery grip, yes, it will allow you to use the same battery as the K 3 II but only in the battery grip. the one in the camera body does not change obviously so you end up with mixed batteries in your KP if you share batteries with the K 3 II
01-31-2020, 06:51 AM   #18
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by JCCharles Quote
I have my K3ii with battery grip that I have enjoyed for the last 2+ years and have really learned by feel. I am looking for a used 2nd camera for back-up or as a second camera in certain situations. I do a lot of Motorsports photography where having a long lens and a short lens readily available would be handy. I’m torn between another K3ii or the KP. Add to that, I really don’t want to wait for the mysterious new top line Pentax APS-C camera. The WiFi and tilt screen on the KP are intriguing and would help at work, but my comfort level with the K3ii is, well, comforting. I’d love to hear from those of you who may have been here too!
Depending on the long lens and short lens you could also opt for a good second hand zoom that covers both the lengths you need. Much cheaper and less weight. And zoom lenses are so good nowadays that a drop in IQ is hardly noticeable.
01-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe that the OP was looking for two camera bodies he could use " in tandem " with different lenses on each for a quick shift

I have often done the same when I expected " targets " presenting themselves under different circumstances on " short notice "

with a short zoom DA 16-85mm and a telescopic zoom D FA 150-450mm mounted on different camera bodies

I have used that system in Yellowstone as well as on safari

if you have such equipment you save time because you don't have to dismount/mount lenses

just pick up the other camera

01-31-2020, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #20

The low light capabilities of the KP is outstanding. For action shots you can combine high isos with higher shutter speeds without opening your aperture too much. This allowed me to use the DA 16-50 better as I can keep it at f5.6 most of the time. The extra 2 stops from the K5iis and more for the K3ii makes it worth it for me.
01-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one of the best tools in the forums [ IMHO ] gives us the ability to compare different camera bodies side by side

so you can see what is difference there actually is and whether one body's different features actually matter to you

follow the link to compare the K 3 II vs. K P vs. K 3 and K 5 IIs

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

each are different from each other

only the OP can decide what is significant and at what cost

the link can also lead to the " in depth " review of each camera body
01-31-2020, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... maybe waiting is precisely what you want to do?
At least, until the end of February, to see if we'll find out more about it (at CP+).
This!

01-31-2020, 11:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
The low light capabilities of the KP is outstanding. For action shots you can combine high isos with higher shutter speeds without opening your aperture too much. This allowed me to use the DA 16-50 better as I can keep it at f5.6 most of the time. The extra 2 stops from the K5iis and more for the K3ii makes it worth it for me.
This is the big kicker if lighting for fast moving objects is a major concern. The K-3 makes amazing images, but in mixed and low lighting, the KP is the king. And the battery really isn't that big a deal for most folks, (including me!).
In cold weather, carry an extra or two if you are shooting lots of images, otherwise, maybe one back up for the just in case scenario.
I do love the battery grip when I am using my FA* 80-200 and anything longer than 200mm on the KP as it really improves the balance.
01-31-2020, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all for your feedback and advice. The ergonomics part makes a lot of sense, especially in fast paced environments. I love the heft of my K3 and feel the weight helps stabilize it when in my hands. The battery difference is huge and I hadn’t fully considered that: different batteries, needing at least 2 for each camera AND two different chargers AND trying to charge both while on the road. That to me is big! I’ll wait to CP+ to see what happens, it’s only a month away, and if there isn’t much news, its another K3ii.

Again, thanks all for the info!!!
I have always preferred having two similar cameras available to me. Back in film days I never took so many photos in fast changing circumstances that the different feel of a camera made a lot of difference.

With digital, I take many more images and, whenever possible, I take two cameras on a trip. I have used four different Pentax cameras, and currently use two K3ii bodies. Using the two identical bodies has been the best experience as I can swap bodies, rather than lenses, in an instant, and can usually choose my moment to change lenses if I feel it is necessary. Even minor differences in physical handling can cause missed opportunities as I found when using K3ii/K30/K50 in tandem, as can the quirks of the individual menus or scene modes.

If I had to make your decision immediately, I'd add a K3/K3ii. If, as you appear to have decided, you can wait, I would do exactly that whilst recognising that the cost of the new camera and a companion may be a great deal more than acting immediately.
01-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Having two identical camera bodies for a shoot, particularly when you might want to change quickly from one to the other, makes much more sense for me. No distractions of different control systems and ergonomics = full concentration on the photography.

Philip

This can not be overstated enough. I would add the bodies may not need be identical, but they need to similar enough that one perceives them to be nearly identical. For example, I use a K50 and a K70 and sometimes I'm not sure which one I'm shooting with in the moment. The fact they also use the same battery is very convenient.
01-31-2020, 07:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have my K3ii with battery grip that I have enjoyed for the last 2+ years and have really learned by feel. I am looking for a used 2nd camera for back-up or as a second camera in certain situations. I do a lot of Motorsports photography where having a long lens and a short lens readily available would be handy. I’m torn between another K3ii or the KP. Add to that, I really don’t want to wait for the mysterious new top line Pentax APS-C camera. The WiFi and tilt screen on the KP are intriguing and would help at work, but my comfort level with the K3ii is, well, comforting. I’d love to hear from those of you who may have been here too!
Well, I have long had the K-5 IIs, and for the last 2 plus years I've had the KP also. I bought the silver version and it is beautiful. I am one of those who can readily adapt to differences in controls, features, etc. I also have the little K-S2 for times when I need a well-outfitted, but extra- lightweight DSLR. I agree that having 2 bodies with 2 lens types is often very handy. For action shots, the KP can provide very fine performance at higher ISO to get more shutter speed in dimmer lighting like a cloudy day. I can go from one style camera to another without a problem. Some lenses like Sigma have zoom collars that rotate the opposite direction than do Pentax lenses, but I still have and use both. The KP with the optional battery grip is about the same weight as the K-3 II alone, yet can provide even longer battery life.

Its buffer is not as deep as the K-5 or K-3, but it reads and clears quite fast. But I don't do much burst shooting myself anyway.

I also agree about the tilt-out screen It can be just the thing for many situations. I still love the on-body dedicated controls layout of my K-5 IIs, but there are other advantages the KP offers, and its controls have their own advantages, so I have regarded the KP's differences as a new adventure that is a welcome addition to what my K-5 IIs offers.