Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What We Want Most

I'm beside myself with anticipation...

Attached Images

01-31-2020, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear you, man, even if the funding for it is still a moot point of sorts. However, I've already broken the news to the Missus that I will pursue upgrading my K-3 with the new flagship, at least if it is as compelling as I believe it will be, and she hasn't declared me completely nuts for it. So there is hope.
01-31-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
and she hasn't declared me completely nuts for it.
My wife is near entirely disinterested in photography and has declared me completely nuts long ago
01-31-2020, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
My wife is near entirely disinterested in photography and has declared me completely nuts long ago

To her credit, mine has been okay with me starting my Pentax DSLR journey in the first place, with the K-7 back in 2009. Since then, with careful pleading and a little patience, I've been able to upgrade to the K-3 and to assemble a select but pretty capable kit of lenses. And since I persuaded her to make her own start in beyond-point-and-shoot photography with a K-70 and my old kit lens, which only happened last summer, she has somehow seemed to ask fewer Are-you-sure-you-need-another-lens-or-new-camera-type questions.

01-31-2020, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I'm pretty lucky, the hobby is well tolerated on the whole. But, of course, I do get the occasional "what?! Another lens? I thought you just got one?".
For some reason its hard to explain that no matter how many lenses you have there is always a need for another.
01-31-2020, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And people around me wonder why I have enjoyed living by myself for the last 20 years. No dramatic explanations needed.
01-31-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Yeah I'm pretty lucky, the hobby is well tolerated on the whole. But, of course, I do get the occasional "what?! Another lens? I thought you just got one?".
For some reason its hard to explain that no matter how many lenses you have there is always a need for another.
I devised a system. If there is an item I must have I tell my wife I have purchased it. If the resulting storm is not too great I quickly place the order. If the storm is too great I admit the order is not yet placed which calms the water. Use this system with caution.

01-31-2020, 02:05 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
Use this system with caution.
! I do something similar !

"I really want item X"
"How much does it cost?"
"$2000"
"WHAT?"
"Well there's this similar item Y that's only $1000"
"Well get THAT one then!"

However, I wanted the $1000 item all along...
01-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
And people around me wonder why I have enjoyed living by myself for the last 20 years. No dramatic explanations needed.
+1 On that
01-31-2020, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And this is part of why after having been married, I now keep the girlfriend a girlfriend.
01-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my wife is a good sport as long as we can afford it she supports my camera and lens buying. i either save up or make purchases on time interest free. i am already saving for the new APSC body.
02-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I get the same reactions

Satisfying, isn't it !!
02-01-2020, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I'm very familiar with that phrase myself, but I do point out I make quite a bit of money out of my work and that generally keeps judgemental tendencies at bay.

If you are part of a large family like I am, In the absence of a reasonable explanations people will often make up a narrative of their own: rumors will get around about why female company is absent in your life.
02-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you are part of a large family like I am, In the absence of a reasonable explanations people will often make up a narrative of their own: rumors will get around about why female company is absent in your life.
It shouldn't matter, but after a while it gets easier to ignore those folks. (Usually,with exceptions.)
02-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my wife has been very supportive of me

of course, that is tremendously helped by me finding sales for new equipment and " experienced " equipment at good prices

as you can see if you bother to check

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/103786-aslyfox/?simple=1#aboutme

I cannot complain

[ and I don't plan on joining the rush to buy the K new when it appears tomorrow, or next month or in six months or next year ]