Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20, You've Almost Conviced Me To Get One

Hey All,
Back in April I bought my k200d and I love it but more and more I was I would have waited until the price of the came down in price on the K20. I'm thinking about selling the k200d body on Ebay. It only has less used for only 300 shots and is in excellent physical shape. I saw a new K20 body on Ebay from a dealer with a 99.7% feedback rating for only $819.00. Should I sell my K200 in an auction format (what stating bid?) or a "Buy it Now: at what price? Think the K20's price will go even lower and wait til next year? Maybe wait for a possible K40 with full frame and HD movie mode? Ahhhhh, decisions decisions

Thanks in advance for your help
Barry

10-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

If you have only taken 300 photos in 6 months, are you sure your passion for photography is enough to justify upgrading?

No doubt the k20d is awesome (I love mine), but the k200d is very capable too.
10-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

I made a similar decision this month went I went in Japan.

I had initially bought my K10D in April and made a few thousands shot with, it's an excellent camera and I love the ergonomics, but I was really disappointed by its performance in low light condition. I had to shoot at a wedding and it was not so good as compared with a friend having a Nikon D80 (and I had better lenses)

So when I had the opportunity to go to Japan on the way to Vladivostok (to take the Transsiberian train) I took the not so rational decision : "I need backup camera for when I'll have to get the sensor cleaned or the camera broken." And so during my short time in Tokyo, I came to the Bic Camera and bought a K20D with the 31ltd... (excess is my middle name)

What I can say is that the K20D is truly superior the K10D, high ISO performance has nothing in common, AF is slightly better (but I didn't compare side by side) and 14Mp is not a gadget, with my 31mm @ f8-11 the limitation in resolution was still coming from the camera. Ideal when you crop a lot like I do.

During all the trip I had the 2 cameras with me, the K20D with the 31 and the K10D with my 10-17 Fisheye. It made laugh the Russians around, but in the conditions of the trip, it was like an ideal combo. Having 2 lenses monted on 2 different cameras is definitively a plus when you don't want to miss a shot because you are changing lens (or can't because it's dusty)

So my 10p advice, buy the K20D, don't sell the K200D, they are situation when you need both.
10-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have the passon, it's just my shoulders have scars on them from a fire I was in and extreme hot and cold weather affect how they feel at times and how much I shoot. I just hoping they'll feel better in the future

10-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What do you find lacking on your K200, or what do you hope to gain from a K20?
I've had my K200D about 3 1/2 weeks (and a little over 1000 pictures ). I upgraded from a K100D. I find the whole camera to be more responsive than the K100 (photo review, autofocus, etc). But I too have been noticing the dropping price of the K20, and thought about making the switch. However, I feel that the only place the K20 may have the advantage is at high ISO shooting (I also think the K100D was better at this). The extra 4MP resolution isn't an issue for me. Of course, I guess there is some prestige in having the latest and greatest, but I'm going to hold out with the K200 until a major overhaul comes about (ie faster autofocus).
10-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
What do you find lacking on your K200, or what do you hope to gain from a K20?
I've had my K200D about 3 1/2 weeks (and a little over 1000 pictures ). I upgraded from a K100D. I find the whole camera to be more responsive than the K100 (photo review, autofocus, etc). But I too have been noticing the dropping price of the K20, and thought about making the switch. However, I feel that the only place the K20 may have the advantage is at high ISO shooting (I also think the K100D was better at this). The extra 4MP resolution isn't an issue for me. Of course, I guess there is some prestige in having the latest and greatest, but I'm going to hold out with the K200 until a major overhaul comes about (ie faster autofocus).

Vmax,
You do have me giving second thoughts about getting a K20, The heavy crops I do with the k200d and it's 10mp sensor are good enough to live with for now. I also had a k100d (bought it real cheap and resold it for more than I paid for it) I just wish Pentax had kept the 3200 ISO on the k200 as it was had the best quality I ever saw with pics shot at that setting but it was missing the sharp 100 ISO that I also like, why Pentax didn't allow for both to be on the k200...who knows? The 6400 ISO setting is mostly a joke, don't think I'd ever need it or use it. I guess I'll wait to see what a k40d will have and then maybe rethink my position,again

Barry
10-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #7

I have the K200 and lust for the K20. But the only things that I'm not 100% happy with on the K200 are the veiwfinder size and the fps, both of which a can happily live with for a while. I'll get the K30 when it comes out (and drops in price a little)

10-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
I just wish Pentax had kept the 3200 ISO on the k200 as it was had the best quality I ever saw with pics shot at that setting but it was missing the sharp 100 ISO that I also like, why Pentax didn't allow for both to be on the k200...who knows?
Any sensor is at its best at its native resolution. The sensor used in the K100D has a native sensitivity of ISO 200. There would have been no point in cobbling together an emulation of ISO 100 - it would have been lesser image quality than ISO 200.

As for ISO 3200, it is achieved on the K100D by software emulation. All it does is shoot at ISO 1600, yielding underexposure, and then double all of the values of the pixels. The results are identical to doing this yourself in PP (assuming you shoot in RAW, which not only produces better results, but also makes it MUCH easier to do). So you can do this on the K200D too. I do it all the time - shooting at ISO 1600 with an underexposure of 1 EV (or more!) and then bringing the exposure up in PP. Results are at least as good as the K100D when comparing images at the same size.
10-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #9

If your shoulders hurt now with the K200D, yikes, you might need some different strap arrangement with a K20D. Maybe an extra wide one. Maybe a lateral move to the lighter KmD?
10-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
If your shoulders hurt now with the K200D, yikes, you might need some different strap arrangement with a K20D. Maybe an extra wide one. Maybe a lateral move to the lighter KmD?
I don't know what the actual weights are, but my wrists and elbows can tell you that the K20D weighs more than the K100D I was used to using before.

I don't know the particulars of the OP's limitations regarding his shoulders, but if bearing the weight of the camera while shooting is an issue he might consider using a monopod sometimes.
10-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chedoy Quote
I can highly recommend the Op-Tech straps. I have one that flexes a bit and it feels like the camera weighs next to nothing, and I usually lug around K20D with grip and a hefty lens.
10-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Shutterpuppy, the price of the K200D has fell a lot and looks like it might still be falling so selling it might actually lose you some money from the original investment.
If you really need/want the higher fps, ISO,brighter eye-finder, bigger buffer (what did i miss?) ...then just add it as your primary body but otherwise take that same money and add a nice prime or faster zoom.

If neither of the 2 mentioned is doable then, the K200D should be enough for a long time. I don't want to say that you maybe caught up on a little hype on getting the K20D as seen in some of the threads. I think there are many happy and content K200D owners in here that have no need to upgrade, they might have the "urge" but know that the K200D is all they need.

All that said, the final decision is still yours. On a budget _forget it, financially solid-get/add it.
10-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
As for ISO 3200, it is achieved on the K100D by software emulation. All it does is shoot at ISO 1600, yielding underexposure, and then double all of the values of the pixels. The results are identical to doing this yourself in PP (assuming you shoot in RAW, which not only produces better results, but also makes it MUCH easier to do). So you can do this on the K200D too. I do it all the time - shooting at ISO 1600 with an underexposure of 1 EV (or more!) and then bringing the exposure up in PP. Results are at least as good as the K100D when comparing images at the same size.
Thanks for this tidbit of information, I'll have to try it out sometime!