Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2020, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ricoh should call their forthcoming Pentax APS-C flagship the "K-47". That way, when someone asks what you shoot, you can say "A K-47"
Post of the day. Heck, could be post of the week!

05-05-2020, 01:11 AM   #107
Pentaxian

No pressure (i.e. from an external source) but making a switch off my own back because I like what others (an other, begins with S, ends with ONY) offers. The ability to use my legacy lenses without issue, finding myself using the LCD on my Pentax more and more and enjoying the OVF less so tending towards the use of an EVF (which I have tried, and like). The weather sealing is obviously debatable but I never really risked my cameras in adverse weather anyway (goes back to the use of legacy, read: not weather-sealed, lenses predominantly) so that area won't change. The ergonomics are fine for me with my inbound camera, the IQ is good, plus a nominal weight saving which is never really a bad thing.
Of course, I'll still be using Pentax lenses first and foremost given my current lineup of lovely vintage wares, but I'm looking forward to trying the new camera properly.
No doubt there will be some aspects I'll miss but there's always a possibility to switch back should I so please.
05-05-2020, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #108
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ricoh should call their forthcoming Pentax APS-C flagship the "K-47". That way, when someone asks what you shoot, you can say "A K-47"
Like your style here.
05-05-2020, 04:06 AM   #109
Veteran Member

I tend to buy what I need in terms of cameras and lenses based on what I shoot most of the times and I rent/borow what I like but I don't need so often. As long as I have renting options and a system with a solid lineup of cameras, lenses and accessories to choose from, I'm a very happy guy with zero pressure to change systems. I rather pay 15$ to rent for 2 days a 1200$ Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens or to pay 35$ to rent a 6000$ Canon 300mm f2.8L lens for 2 days if I go out to shoot wildlife or other stuff than buying these lenses.

For me this approach works best. I can shoot with top of the line lenses when I want/need without spending thousand of dollars on gear that I need once in a while. For vacations, portraits and corporate events I need only the 4 lenses that I own: one fast wide angle zoom lens and 3 prime lenses.

05-05-2020, 04:43 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I rather pay 15$ to rent for 2 days a 1200$ Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens or to pay 35$ to rent a 6000$ Canon 300mm f2.8L lens for 2 days if I go out to shoot wildlife or other stuff than buying these lenses.
That would be great, but where I live the only rental option is one of the online shops like Lensrentals.com. That Tamron would be $50 for a weekend, plus $8 in damage coverage, plus $25 shipping, plus tax. So your $15 is more like $100 here. The Canon 300 f/2.8L is $142 a day.

I've rented occasionally, but it's usually reserved for situations like a week or longer vacations.
05-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That would be great, but where I live the only rental option is one of the online shops like Lensrentals.com. That Tamron would be $50 for a weekend, plus $8 in damage coverage, plus $25 shipping, plus tax. So your $15 is more like $100 here. The Canon 300 f/2.8L is $142 a day.

I've rented occasionally, but it's usually reserved for situations like a week or longer vacations.
Yes, I know it's not easy for everybody to rent gear, especially when there is no renting place in the city. That's why I specified what's working for me instead of what may work as a general rule.
05-06-2020, 04:52 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Lensrentals left Canada because they kept having their lenses stolen by postal workers... so we don't even have that.

05-06-2020, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Lensrentals left Canada because they kept having their lenses stolen by postal workers... so we don't even have that.
That's strange. It's quite unusual to hear of a situation where crime is more prevalent in Canada than the US.
05-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #114
Pentaxian

That's strange. It's quite unusual to hear of a situation where crime is more prevalent in Canada than the US.
It is, but there have been numerous reports of theft rings operating a Canadian airports and the Postal service.
05-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The last time anyone gasped at my using a Pentax was during a Scott Kelly/Adobe sponsored photo walk. When it started to rain, in the Pacific NW - in October - go figure, all the other people were scrambling around to cover up their babies and I was just getting more shots. One of the people told me that I was going to ruin my camera and I just giggled and said I did not have to worry about getting the camera wet. They were indigent, but I just walked behind everyone and blasted away - at some pretty boring images I might add.
My response is “don’t worry, it’s a Pentax!”
05-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think the reference might be to the Canadian company that ceased its operations in 2015, Lens Rentals Canada. My understanding is that this company was separate from the US company Lensrentals.com.

I remember this issue. Some reports at the time implicated Canada Post (e.g., Canada Post thefts halt Lens Rentals Canada service | CBC News), but the ex-company's current online statement is softer: http://www1.lensrentalscanada.com/pressrelease.html.

It wasn't clear at the time why the company didn't opt to continue business through other shippers.

Back to the point of renting equipment: Several Canadian sources are available, but I'm not aware of any that rent Pentax.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-09-2020 at 12:43 PM.
05-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #117
Veteran Member

I am switching all the time between MF and K10d.
MF Hasselblad with Carl Zeiss lenses is impossible to beat.
Latest acquisition the 150 mm 2.8 Sonnar lens for the 2003FCW body.
A delight to use with splendid bokeh.

The K5II gets less attention these days.
Could well be many years of K20d use make it easier to handle the K10d.
Besides that I am quite happy with the results both K10d bodies give me.
Good chance the K5II will be offered for sale.

MF and Pentax, what more do you need?