Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 159 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just an amateur enthusiast so no pressure to switch. Either way I enjoy using Pentax cameras and equipment too much to even consider switching. If I were to go professional (which is not in my game plan at all, ever), and I had to use a different system for whatever reason, I'd be using that different system for work and Pentax personally. But I refuse to use Canon. I've felt their cameras. They feel terrible compared to Pentax.

02-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I like the feel that Pentax DSLR cameras give me too. Most important is the option to use older lenses from the film era without much loss of functionality.
A lenses only miss Af which is no loss to me as I like to focus the shots I do myself. The golden age for Pentax were the seventies and eighties with excellent lenses for film bodies.
These lenses still deliver excellent quality images with APS-C or FF bodies.
No other camera manufacturer offers this kind of compatibility for older lenses with DSLR cameras.
03-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #48
Veteran Member

With the arrival of the K10d there is little chance that I will change for another system.
Besides the fact that these cameras can be found for insulting low prices they bring back the experience I got with a number of K20d bodies.
Results with the K10d are excellent.

Who needs more than 10 MP?
03-07-2020, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Except for the logical scenario of being compatible with coworkers or clients, I've never let "peer pressure" influence my choices in the least.

Sure, the choices of peers might inform my technology choices -- it's only sensible to learn from the experiences of others. However, my needs are my own.

Over the years, I've often picked the less-popular choice (HP calculators instead of Texas Instruments, Macintosh instead of IBM PC, Pentax instead Canikon) as being technologically superior for my needs.

Most "peer pressure" seems like natural friendly debate such as between people who support different sports teams. IMHO, if the "peer pressure" gets stronger than friendly ribbing, it says more about their insecurities about their choices than any failings of mine.

03-07-2020, 11:24 AM - 3 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

I switched systems yesterday. I used my Lumix ZS100 instead of the K-1 for landscape shots. I was using the DA 55-300 for wildlife and birds, and didn't want to carry the K-1. Happens all the time around here. The pressure I have is the camera on the table saying "I'm better for what you're thinking of doing today than the one you're choosing." My cameras put pressure on me all the time "Pick me, pick me." And since there's a choice of Nikon, Panasonic and Pentax, it's always a lively debate.

Last edited by normhead; 03-07-2020 at 11:40 AM.
03-07-2020, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

yes as some peers use different gear but then I realize it is not really the system but me...…

what I am envious of.....location what is available to shoot some places are just nicer and make great images...….experience not only out in the field shooting but also post processing techniques to boot...………

so for me it's never the system but surroundings and experience
03-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Today I escaped from a stupid idea to bid for a Sony F828 camera.
I was attracted to the Zeiss lens which is just a license from Zeiss to Sony and the fact that the Sony has a CCD.

Pentax was way ahead of Sony in those days.
The Sony camera is useless even at 400 ISO. The noiselevel is extreme. That is what DP review forgot to mention.
The more I read about Sony the more I like and appreciate Pentax cameras and lenses.

03-07-2020, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Most "peer pressure" seems like natural friendly debate such as between people who support different sports teams. IMHO, if the "peer pressure" gets stronger than friendly ribbing, it says more about their insecurities about their choices than any failings of mine.
I try and only pick winning teams. When sports team from Toronto is doing well, like the Jays in 94 or 95 and the Raptors last year, of the Maple Leafs in 67 (or for most of you, never) I'm a big fan and watch every game.
lately, since retiring, I watch Ohio State basketball and football, (inescapable if you grew up in Columbus Ohio,) the Jays and Raptors anytime they aren't playing on the left coast. These days I'm killing time.

Tess gets tired of my editorializing during games. I coached basketball, tennis, football and played baseball for 50 years. I have opinions about t everything.
I like to remark on how I often notice technical game points before the announcers do. Tess just wants me to shut up.
03-07-2020, 01:59 PM - 5 Likes   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have opinions about t everything.
Get outta here, Norm... say it ain't so?
03-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #55
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have not had any pressure to change systems. Most of the photographers I have dealt with over the last few decades are at the point where it is all about the image - not the camera. There was one bizarre exception when I attended a World Wide Scott Kelly photo walkabout a few years ago. The organizer knew almost everyone in the group that gathered and he said he didn't really need to ask, but what brand are you shooting? Mostly Canon and Nikon (he was a Canon guy) with a mild snide remark about Nikon. A Sony person, "they make OK sensors - HA!" and me shooting Pentax. "PEEENNNTAX????? Well, nothing more to be said there!!!". He never said a word to me during the whole walkabout, interaction with the people he knew and talked with was at a minimum and when it started to rain, I was the only one shooting the wet streets while the other participants were hiding under the eaves of the buildings after sprinting back to our meeting place.

After that, I stopped getting Scott Kelly emails. Probably had nothing to do with the photoshoot but my image never did show up on the groups submission back to Scott Kelly.
03-07-2020, 03:23 PM - 3 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got into Pentax despite 3 people suggesting Canon, Nikon and Sony, so I would say I'm pretty resilient . Although to be fair, the Canonite specifically said that I wasn't getting anywhere near her lenses, so without "free" L glass the option suddenly lost interest

I haven't been bothered more or less by anyone - I'm positively impressed by the good pictures my friends take with their gear, they are positively impressed with the ones I get with mine. We are all amateurs, and we all know that we could take roughly the same pictures with each other's equipment.

Okay, the Sony guy tends to remind us that his NEX-6 with 16-50 and 50-200 weighs next to nothing, but that's because he has been known to go often on 20 km long mountain hikes where hauling more weight in lenses than in water is unwise.

At a wedding we attended, the pro photographers were amazed by the K-1 and how nice it felt in hand. They had never seen a Pentax DSLR in the flesh, but they did like it!

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Except for the logical scenario of being compatible with coworkers or clients, I've never let "peer pressure" influence my choices in the least.

Sure, the choices of peers might inform my technology choices -- it's only sensible to learn from the experiences of others. However, my needs are my own.

Over the years, I've often picked the less-popular choice (HP calculators instead of Texas Instruments, Macintosh instead of IBM PC, Pentax instead Canikon) as being technologically superior for my needs.

The HP50g is a monster of a calc! I still have mine somewhere. That thing saved my thermodynamics exam AND played Super Mario!
03-09-2020, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find it amusing. People see my photos and generally comment, "Oh, you must have a nice camera."

"Well, I do shoot with a Pentax," I generally answer, in a smug sort of voice.

"I see," they reply in a tone of voice that indicates that while they have till now been unaware of the top end brand in camera gear, they will keep it in mind going forward.
03-09-2020, 05:47 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
But word came down from the top that all photos must be done on tripods, and in manual focus, because some photogs were having focus problems. None of these peers have a stabilized ultrawide zoom, except for a few Fuji users, of course. I'll go on as I have been, but I'm feeling a little bit weighed down by the weaknesses of other cameras I don't even own, or want to own.
It seems to me in this particular case, you got pressure to use a tripod (uselessly maybe) but not to change system. In other words, they challenged your workflow, which is stupid in itself. They should look at the results, not the means.
03-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I try and only pick winning teams.
I generally pick local teams. But when I have a choice I steadfastly refuse to pick a team that expects to win. It feels like cheating. I live in Maryland, and years ago some of my local teams were very successful. The pre-1985 Orioles, the 1980s Redskins. I went to Virginia Tech before they were any good, but then they were quite good for a while, at least in football.

But when I have a choice, like coming to soccer relatively late in life? Tottenham Hotspur, who haven't won a trophy of any type in over a decade, and haven't won the English league in my lifetime. I follow two German soccer teams (1860 Munich and Unterhaching), both in the 3rd division. My boyhood love, the Baltimore Orioles, haven't won a World Series since I was in the 6th grade. The Redskins haven't been even halfway relevant since I was in college over 25 years ago.

I look at people who pick the Yankees or Red Sox or Patriots or Notre Dame and have exactly the same thoughts a die hard Pentaxian has about someone shooting Canikon. Maybe they were born in NYC and grew up down the street from Yankee stadium, but more likely they just thought having an NY on their cap and a white lens made them cool.
03-09-2020, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

You didn't just put Notre Dame in with the Yankees and Patriots did you? They were relevant in the last century. These days they are famous for always being over-rated and hence always losing their bowl games.

I tend to pull for players I like to see play, not teams unless they are home town teams. Brady, Wilson, and Mahomes are the guys currently worth watching. What should be my favourite the Browns, are such a clown show, I try and watch them every year but it gets real painful real quick.

I do tend to favour performance over glitter, which is why Pentax keeps me happy. The role of a camera is to take pictures. If it take good pictures, it does what I need.