Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 159 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2020, 04:05 AM   #76
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Have you experienced pressure to switch systems?
Only in the sense the certain picture agencies will only entertain certain brands and specified cameras... so just run multiple systems.

As for the rest... always let the final image speak for its self.

03-14-2020, 06:08 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Pressure? Impossible.

I chose Pentax digital many years ago.
Solid construction, metal mount for lenses, user friendly and last but not least the large selection of older and recent lenses that are suitable.
The lenses were the most important ground to choose Pentax. Lenses are the factor that influence IQ more than anything else.
03-15-2020, 03:44 AM - 3 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I attended a World Wide Scott Kelly photo walkabout a few years ago. The organizer knew almost everyone in the group that gathered and he said he didn't really need to ask, but what brand are you shooting? Mostly Canon and Nikon (he was a Canon guy) with a mild snide remark about Nikon. A Sony person, "they make OK sensors - HA!" and me shooting Pentax. "PEEENNNTAX????? Well, nothing more to be said there!!!". He never said a word to me during the whole walkabout
I am staggered by the rudeness described in some of these posts. I have never had anyone question my choice of brand either in a camera club or in the outside world. They would be on pretty shaky ground if they did as I am technical and know my stuff, including quite a lot about other brands. For example I have a rather low opinion of Sony (not the best constructed, and a consumer oriented company who played the Root Kit scam Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal - Wikipedia ), and not a very high one of Canon (they seem to hate their users), but would not dream of criticising one to its owners face. I would not criticise someone using a P&S on one of these "walkabouts" (which I'd never heard of before).

I think I would turn the tables on any criticism along the above lines; I do admire Nikon, but I think I'd say to a Nikon owner that a large portion of what he paid for was for their advertising; whereas Pentax don't advertise.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 03-15-2020 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added link, tpyo
03-15-2020, 06:29 AM - 3 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I think I would turn the tables on any criticism along the above lines; I do admire Nikon, but I think I'd say to a Nikon owner that a large portion of what he paid for was for their advertising; whereas Pentax don't advertise.
Amazing how many Pentax "enthusiasts" spit on a policy that saves them so much money.

03-15-2020, 06:57 AM - 2 Likes   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Amazing how many Pentax "enthusiasts" spit on a policy that saves them so much money.
Yeah - Pentax already suffers from smaller production runs (higher costs, typically), so not having advertisement allows for competitive pricing.

Heck, Pentax bodies are *the* best bang for your buck in IQ and features. Lenses are a closer match I think, at least compared to Canikon.

I mean, name a better DSLR than the K-1 or K-70 at the price point. That thing's a monster.
03-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #81
Veteran Member

I recently switched to Sony. I wanted to move to full frame but Pentax's offerings weren't in my budget. The Sony a7II is half the price of the K-1 and it still allows me to use my Pentax lenses. Honestly, the image quality blows me away and I couldn't be happier.

Edit: And to add to this, I upgraded my wife from my old Pentax K-x to the Canon T6 (1300D outside US) when it recently went on sale. She wasn't invested in Pentax lenses like I am, and Canon has many offerings for dirt cheap. Build quality isn't great compared to Pentax, but she is very happy with the image quality.

Last edited by bsamcash; 03-15-2020 at 07:13 AM.
03-15-2020, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
I recently switched to Sony. I wanted to move to full frame but Pentax's offerings weren't in my budget. The Sony a7II is half the price of the K-1 and it still allows me to use my Pentax lenses. Honestly, the image quality blows me away and I couldn't be happier.

Edit: And to add to this, I upgraded my wife from my old Pentax K-x to the Canon T6 (1300D outside US) when it recently went on sale. She wasn't invested in Pentax lenses like I am, and Canon has many offerings for dirt cheap. Build quality isn't great compared to Pentax, but she is very happy with the image quality.
I've never understood the logic in buying a 20-24 MP FF sensor.
The resolution is about the same as a K-P.

03-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #83
Veteran Member

That's exactly why. In my experience, for proper noise to resolution ratio, 24 is the sweet spot for full frame whereas 16 is the sweet spot for aps-c. You may disagree, but that's exactly where I like it.
03-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's exactly why. In my experience, for proper noise to resolution ratio, 24 is the sweet spot for full frame whereas 16 is the sweet spot for aps-c. You may disagree, but that's exactly where I like it.
That *is* true if you view both images at 100%, but that's not how one should look at the issue.

For a given print/display size (which is typically strongly downsampled), the technological level of the sensor has a stronger influence, to the point where the result can be completely in favour of a newer, higher-resolution sensor. The K-1 has very little noise (and it's mostly luminance, chroma noise is barely present, so it doesn't even look too bad), you can push it until ISO 12800 without breaking a sweat. It smokes the 20 MP 6D in terms of shadow noise.

Don't get me wrong, 24 MP is plenty of them, more than what most people will ever need, but it's not necessarily better. I would be happy with a 24 MP K-1, but that's just because the files would be smaller and the sorry excuse for optimization in Lightroom wouldn't be pushed nearly as much
03-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The K-1 has very little noise (and it's mostly luminance, chroma noise is barely present, so it doesn't even look too bad), you can push it until ISO 12800 without breaking a sweat. It smokes the 20 MP 6D in terms of shadow noise.
I don't doubt the K-1 has a much better sensor than the a7II. I've heard it referred to as a mediam format killer. I was just replying to normhead's confusion as to why anyone would buy a 24 MP full frame.
03-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't doubt the K-1 has a much better sensor than the a7II. I've heard it referred to as a mediam format killer. I was just replying to normhead's confusion as to why anyone would buy a 24 MP full frame.
I know, it's just that I've heard the argument a lot and, while it's generally true that larger pixels means lower noise, I would say that it's more dependent on sensor technology. Still, I, personally, would put the megapickle count very low in the list of "things to look for in a camera". I'm glad you're enjoying the Sony!
03-15-2020, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

Have a 14,000th like Norm!

Congrats
03-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Have a 14,000th like Norm!

Congrats
Thanks Tim.... I think Kerrodown gave me my 13th.. it's getting to be a thing.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-16-2020 at 05:23 PM.
03-16-2020, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only way to judge sensors is to compare images at the same viewing/printing size. The reality is that if you do that, the noise averages out on sensors with larger megapixels and they don't end up looking worse. That's true for plenty of cameras, not just the K-1, but ones like the D850 and A7r II, as well.

The biggest negative to lots of megapixels is just that it takes more processing power and storage to work with the files, but I think most of us have that to spare. It is interesting that the K5 sensor (16 megapixels) upscaled is essentially a K-1 (or D800/D810) sensor.
03-16-2020, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it incredibly tacky to rag on someone else's gear. This reflects poorly on them, not you.

That said, I could see if you're in a pro setting, it could make sense to all be on the same system if you're sharing flash gear perhaps? Even then, I did a shoot a while ago, I was on Pentax, other guy was on Canon, all came out great.