Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Affordable DSLR body that's weather resistant?

Hello. l have a Nikon D7100 and Canon M50, but am paranoid about them(and their lenses)getting wet. l want to get a used WR body and maybe the 18-135 WR lens to start with. ls there a WR body that can be had for less than 300usd that has the following: at least 10MP, in body stabilization, at least 4 frames per second, and autofocus micro adjust? l don't care about the following: video, ISO above 1600, tilting rear screen, or face detect AF. l'd like to have a "bad weather" setup. Thanks in advance.

02-06-2020, 04:36 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have come to the right place.
The K10D, K-7, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs and several newer lower-end bodies would all satisfy you needs.
02-06-2020, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

My K20D with the 18-55WR is exactly that: My bad weather kit. With your budget you can get a good K5 which is 2 generations ahead of the K20.

Thanks,
02-06-2020, 04:50 AM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A very intelligent and precise question, if I may say so. Sandy has given you the answer. Check out the camera comparator tool for more details of each model: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-5&c...c3=Pentax+K-S2

There are other affordable WR K-mount lenses that might interest you too. Some versions of the DA 18-55mm, 18-50, 50-200 are WR.

If you want to add a telephoto lens consider the HD-DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 WR and the HD-DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM. The PLM is the better of these two, but it won't work properly with the K-5 series or older bodies.

If the PLM is in consideration (and it is a very good lens), you should look for a K-50 or K-S2, which should be available within budget (they can be used with the PLM provided the latest firmware is installed). The K-30 (virtually a twin of the K-50) is another possibility, but it requires a hack of the K-50 firmware (Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - Pentax Forums). The K-30 and K-50 use the same sweet 16mp sensor as the K-5 series. The K-S2 uses a 20mp sensor and has a number of worthwhile additional features, such as a screen that flips out, Wi-fi, and no AA filter.

If you go for K-5 series camera (a good choice), you could get the HD-DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 WR. The screw-driven AF is noisy and not quick (unlike the PLM), but the resolution is good and it is quite cheap now that it has been superseded by the PLM.

I have used the 18-135 and 55-300 with a WR body as a grab-and-go kit for years. Great combination for anything that you might happen upon, like two bulls wrestling in the rain.

Last edited by Des; 02-08-2020 at 12:50 PM.
02-06-2020, 04:53 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

Sandy's advice is all good. Personally, I would choose the K-5 or K-5II... or - if you can find a nice one within your budget - especially a K-5IIs. They will offer the image quality, performance and weather resistance you need, and they're "flagship" bodies with build quality to match. The K-7, whilst still a very nice camera, may disappoint given that you're used to the D7100. Older bodies such as the K10D lack auto-focus adjustment for more than one lens, and you can only access it via a debug mode hack. Plus, I wouldn't advise shooting the K10D above ISO 800 (even that is pushing it).

Check out our Marketplace - with a little patience, I'm sure you'll find what you need
02-06-2020, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums

Sandy's advice is all good. Personally, I would choose the K-5 or K-5II... or - if you can find a nice one within your budget - especially a K-5IIs. They will offer the image quality, performance and weather resistance you need, and they're "flagship" bodies with build quality to match. The K-7, whilst still a very nice camera, may disappoint given that you're used to the D7100. Older bodies such as the K10D lack auto-focus adjustment for more than one lens, and you can only access it via a debug mode hack. Plus, I wouldn't advise shooting the K10D above ISO 800 (even that is pushing it).

Check out our Marketplace - with a little patience, I'm sure you'll find what you need
I second this.
02-06-2020, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mentioned, the K5 series is a great camera and a used one can be had for around $300. Mine saw surf splash and some heavy downpours and never gave me a glitch. As far as lenses, there is a host of WR lenses available in Pentax, from consumer to pro grade, in every focal length. The forum has a great database of lenses.
02-06-2020, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Weather-Sealed DSLRs: A Complete List | Switchback Travel

02-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't checked online auctions to see if this is doable for $300, but a K200D and the 18-50 RE WR seems quite interesting. 18-55 WR of DA or DA-L would be fine as well; the 18-50 is quite sharp when stopped down and some folks that have shared photos from it here get great results. Again, stopped down, wide-open it's not much to crow about. The K200D and 18-50 would be a quite compact combination.
02-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The k200d is for many things a a step down from the Nikon.
If you think about it, compare the features very carefully and rate them before buying.
02-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
The k200d is for many things a a step down from the Nikon.
If you think about it, compare the features very carefully and rate them before buying.
The requirements were $300ish USD for the lens and body. 4 FPS shooting (honestly not sure if the K200D hits this, if it doesn't it has to be close), 10mpix, and weather resistant. ISO perf above 1600 was said to be not of interest. The K200D brings a great CCD sensor and a KAF3 mount which is compatible with the two lenses I mention. Where did I miss the target? What would you suggest instead and why / how does it do better with the requirements than my suggestion?
02-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Above iso 1600, yes. The k200d is to be used with iso 640 max imho.
Also a lot of things he may take for granted are different (the af is realllllly slowcompared to the Nikon for example).
It may be a good camera for him, he just has to check carefully. There is a lot of potential frustration.
My suggestion is the one I mentioned above.

Last edited by WorksAsIntended; 02-06-2020 at 07:09 AM.
02-06-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not mentioned is the K-50 and K-S2 which can be had for that price. Probably not mentioned because many have suffered from aperture block failure. But you may find a deal on one that has been repaired, or even one priced low enough to take the chance on. Also not mentioned is the K-3, which is above your price limit, but look anyway because sometimes you can get lucky.
02-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you can stretch the budget, any of the K 5 or K 3 family would be good

this is a good thing to check out when considering WR/AW equipment

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - PentaxForums.com

what Pentax means when it says " WR or /AW "

QuoteQuote:
AW, WR: Lenses with the AW (All Weather) or WR (Weather Resistant) designations are sealed so that they better withstand use in light rain and blowing dust. AW is the more resistant of the two.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
02-06-2020, 07:29 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The requirements were $300ish USD for the lens and body.
Re-reading his request was for a body under $300.00

Now I'll put my 2 cents in for the K5lls. It is 16mp, fast @ 7fps and is the first camera to offer no anti aliasing filter which equates to great sharp photos and an outstanding dynamic range. Currently there still may be one in the Marketplace I believe selling body only for $300.00. I have had mine out in freezing snow and down pour rain without flinching, with WR lens. If in rain with a wr zoom lens it is advisable not to zoom in rain and the lens will fair much better. WR means weather resistance not weather proof.

Since picking up my K1 mkll I am on the fence about selling mine in the marketplace because it has been such a great camera to me.