Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 01:48 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Pentax is NOT dead.

From what l had gathered on DPReview and photography Youtube channels, it seemed like the K mount was on it's last leg. Since discovering this site about a week ago and reading, l'm convinced that Pentax and the K mount is alive and well.

02-10-2020, 01:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
From what l had gathered on DPReview and photography Youtube channels, it seemed like the K mount was on it's last leg. Since discovering this site about a week ago and reading, l'm convinced that Pentax and the K mount is alive and well.
It's a niche product, but very much alive!
02-10-2020, 02:45 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I trust, with a moderator already prowling around this thread, that this will be seen as sociological, not political , but it's a strange fact that the more we are encouraged towards diversity in the social sphere, the less accepting of it we seem to be in other people's buyng choices. In the photographic realm, there is what sometimes feels like an active attempt to nail down the coffin lid on still living brands, especially the smaller ones, that aren't Sony out on YouTube. Fuji gets some love, but the old DSLR makers are not the flavour of the month, even when they produce mirrorless cameras - and Pentax don't (yet?).

This all makes PF even more important.

Last edited by ffking; 02-10-2020 at 05:20 AM.
02-10-2020, 03:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree that it isn't dead.

From a personal standpoint, I was able to pick up one of my Pentax cameras yesterday and take some photos and the camera seemed to work flawlessly. As I put the camera down, I thought to myself, "Ha, not dead yet!"

From a corporate standpoint, it is clear that Pentax is continuing to work on new cameras and lenses. At the same time, this is a tough time for all of the brands and sales have taken a beating over the past year. Even the MILC market is maturing and is dropping despite new releases. In such a market, Pentax's offerings are going to be farther apart.

02-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Many others on this forum are much more knowledgeable about the factors that affect the prospects of the Pentax brand, but I am optimistic that it will continue into the foreseeable future. Like most other brands, Pentax is a part of an imaging division within a much larger corporation (Ricoh). As such, the decline in camera sales does not affect much of the company, and as another has mentioned, Pentax cameras and lenses are a niche product with a loyal following. From what I can make out, the imaging division does not currently appear to be a drain on the corporation's resources, hence I see no present reason for Ricoh to shut it down.
02-10-2020, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks! We didn't know. but is is Doooooomed™. Has been for at least a decade.
02-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #7
Unregistered User

The difference between offering a brand and loving the product.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Many others on this forum are much more knowledgeable about the factors that affect the prospects of the Pentax brand, but I am optimistic that it will continue into the foreseeable future. Like most other brands, Pentax is a part of an imaging division within a much larger corporation (Ricoh). As such, the decline in camera sales does not affect much of the company, and as another has mentioned, Pentax cameras and lenses are a niche product with a loyal following. From what I can make out, the imaging division does not currently appear to be a drain on the corporation's resources, hence I see no present reason for Ricoh to shut it down.
I think that is not what a corporation does. If imaging seems to be a drain on the corporation, which means it lowers the dividend for the shareholders, than there is every reason to cut it out. First they will make shure whether it is imaging under Ricoh or Pentax brand or both. If they established that and they are sure that it is not possible making the brand or division working more efficient then they will cut out the brand that leads to losses or the whole division. Ricoh is not a philantropic institute, it is there to make profits and raise the shareholders value. That is how it works in business.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 02-10-2020 at 04:54 AM. Reason: An indefinite article too much.
02-10-2020, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
Since discovering this site about a week ago and reading, l'm convinced that Pentax and the K mount is alive and well.
Hold that thought, because you haven’t read enough yet...
02-10-2020, 05:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I think that is not what a corporation does. If imaging seems to be a drain on the corporation, which means it lowers the dividend for the shareholders, than there is every reason to cut it out. First they will make shure whether it is imaging under Ricoh or Pentax brand or both. If they established that and they are sure that it is not possible making the brand or division working more efficient then they will cut out the brand that leads to losses or the whole division. Ricoh is not a philantropic institute, it is there to make profits and raise the shareholders value. That is how it works in business.
I agree with you to a large extent: I have some understanding of how businesses work, and how unprofitable parts of a business are at risk of closure or sell-off to boost profits and dividends. I was talking about the current situation, and this, coupled with the fact that Ricoh has a long established camera division, means that I see no immediate need for pessimism. However, this may not always be the case, as with any business.
02-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax will never be dead, because Pentax is also a brand of endoscopes and water pumps.
02-10-2020, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I agree with you to a large extent: I have some understanding of how businesses work, and how unprofitable parts of a business are at risk of closure or sell-off to boost profits and dividends. I was talking about the current situation, and this, coupled with the fact that Ricoh has a long established camera division, means that I see no immediate need for pessimism. However, this may not always be the case, as with any business.
What's interesting is, with all its corporate experience across many areas for many decades, Ricoh hasn't chosen to dispose of the Pentax brand and product line despite several years of challenging business conditions, when it could justifiably have done so. Instead, it has taken steps to minimise risk and maximise revenue by streamlining the product range, extending model lifecycles and ensuring new products don't compromise on quality. So, whilst I agree that profits and shareholder value are vital to Ricoh as a whole, it clearly has some latitude to operate a diversified business portfolio with some areas making bigger profits than others... and it seems committed to keeping Pentax alive by adapting to market conditions...
02-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been at an Indian wedding for the last couple days (what an experience!) and I think I bagged several good photos of our friends' marriage. I didn't feel I was being let down by the K-1 once I got more comfortable with AF-C, at all.
02-10-2020, 07:54 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated"
02-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax will never be dead, because Pentax is also a brand of endoscopes and water pumps.
Yeah. But Ricoh needs profit.
02-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Yeah. But Ricoh needs profit.
Those aren't Ricoh products. They're split from the Pentax we talk about here that is part of Ricoh.

The first post is the kind of reason why I think there needs to be some good YouTube adds for Pentax products. They should be filmed with Pentax cameras. They should be fun to watch and brief.