Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2008, 12:27 AM   #1

K100D shooting ISO 1600 issue: Images have orange horizontal streak

Edit: Originally posted as ISO 1600 issue. I have now confirmed that this is showing up in shots greater than ISO 200 (unless I just can't detect it in the ISO 200 photos).

There is consistently a faint orange line, or streak, across the top of the photos. The images apertures range from f/2.8 to 5.6 with varying backgrounds, but most noticeable in dark backgrounds. The example below is from 100% crop shot in RAW (also visible in JPEG). It was taken at dusk and is a good sample of what I'm seeing. I notice this regardless which lens I use (just to make a note). Is this indicative of a faulty sensor, or is it normal for low light conditions? This issue has ruined many shots now. I've been able to trace the issue back to more than three months ago, and am still looking back to see how long this has been here.

Here's the same image. Notice the faint orange line about 2cm from the top of the photo.

Last edited by kveldalf; 10-26-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Updated symptoms.
10-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kveldalf Quote
Is this indicative of a faulty sensor, or is it normal for low light conditions?
Not normal. Could be the sensor, or perhaps an issue with your RAW conversion software.
10-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is definitely not normal and as its on both the JPG (I assume from the camera) and the RAW image, its sensor related. I assume when you shoot portrait rather than landscape you'll see the line running vertically.

This is the sort of thing I've seen on some imaging systems (gamma ray based) with corroded contacts. A similar thing occurs on printers with either dirty heads or poor contacts into the heads (corrosion etc).

Has the camera suffered a large jolt or been in a high humidity environment? Either of those could increase the resistance in a contact and render one of the matrix lines faulty (don't forget the Bayer sensor is mixing green with red and blue sensitive sensors - so you've probably lost some of the blue data in that matrix line by the look of it).

My suggestion is have the system checked out by a camera service tech.

Good luck with it and let us know what happens....
10-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. I do PP with Apple Aperture 2.1, and it has support for the camera. I live in Southern California, and am not around much humidity. It hasn't been jolted/jostled in any appreciable way no; more like gentle handling and cocooned in it's sleeping bag when not in use.
I'll get this checked out. I'll check my warranty for Pentax since I picked it up in July 2007. Maybe it's still valid. I'll let you know what I find out, and thank you much again for the input.

10-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

Not sure if you are using editing software, but I thought I had a lens issue with a blue streak appearing on photos that I noticed on my computer, but it turned out an older version of Adobe Lightroom (1.1) was the culprit.
10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
It is visible on the camera's LCD itself unfortunately.
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
did you try another SD card?

10-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The line is too uniform, it has to be a damaged CCD
11-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dang not good me thinks a bit of a faulty sensor, if it poped up in only raw files could be conversion but me thinks this is a sign of something iffy with the sensor. is it still under waranty?