Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can always shoot at a lower resolution in jpg only mode on the k-3 or k-5 etc.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-14-2020 at 08:55 PM.
02-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You can always shot at a lower resolution in jpg only mode on the k-3 or k-5 etc.
Yes indeed- one can select the degree of resolution desired.
02-15-2020, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
New to the forum and yet to own an older Pentax. Thinking along the lines of the ist-D or the K10D. I note an Ebay seller who seems to list/sell a lot of Pentax gear (dwcinia in Ely, Iowa).
Any tips on the best places to purchase either of these cameras (and lenses also)??

Many thanks ....
In addition to the places already mentioned, let me add usedphotopro.com (the used department for Roberts Camera). They also have a store on eBay using the ID "robertscamera". Most of their items have a 180-day warranty, too.
02-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both a (an?) *istD and a k10D. Both are wonderful cameras, each with their own feel. With A series or autofocus lenses, the k10D is the superior camera in most ways, with high ISO use being the #1 shortcoming. ISO 400 and below the k10D is a monster.

f/2.0 and faster manual lenses that don’t have the A setting have metering problems, and focus accuracy is a problem as well. You can get focus screens that help, including the screen from an *istD, but then minor metering problems will happen with other lenses. It’s a trade off. Once upon a time I had a split image screen in my k10D, but then for some insane reason I sold that camera. I really miss that setup.

The *istD is a completely different animal. It is almost like shooting a film camera. It is too slow of a camera to “spray and pray”, and it’s tiny screen is really only useful for the menus. Photo review is pointless. My favorite way to use this camera is with an Adaptall 24mm, where the adapter has had its levers removed. Imagine a 24mm screwmount lens, and the experience is basically the same. Also keep in mind that the *istD is the only Pentax DSLR to use CF cards, and doesn’t do auto ISO. Some of the controls are laid out in a way that is foreign to all other Pentax DSLRs. These aren’t a problem for me, as I regularly bounce between camera brands and even styles, but if you are a one brand kind of person, you might find it off putting.

Both are amazing cameras, and both have some significant drawbacks. If I had to only have one, I’m not sure how I wold choose. I’d probably take the k10D, just for the sensor, but I’d really need to think about it for a while. If an *istD pops up for sale for a reasonable price, just buy it. They don’t pop up very often. About 2 years ago I paid roughly $65 each for both my *istD and my k10D, both fully functional. I suspect neither model has become a collectors item in that period of time. On either of these cameras, if you ever sell it, you will regret it.

Two more models to seriously consider are the *istDS and*istDS2, if you don’t mind only having just a rear control wheel.

02-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I have both a (an?) *istD
A *(star) istD. I put off buying a DSLR for quite a long time even after this Pentax model came out. I viewed digital cameras as a novelty, considering film to still be superior. Finally having reached 6mp, and seeing more examples of the best from this range of digital, and since the (very high) price of the *istD had come down by a lot, I went for it. I already had some very good lenses, including the Pentax FA 43mm Limited. This model, I believe, is still the most compact Pentax DSLR ever made having a full set of controls design. However, as it turned out, I still found film to be best, so I still used it for more critical results, as well as for prints where I could get a much better deal for multiple sets of prints if ordered at the time of processing vs the cost of prints from digital. But otherwise, I liked the convenience of digital for more general use, yet sometimes I would use it for scenics, closeups, etc.. After only a year or so, I switched to the K-100D to take advantage of SR- something film did not offer. A real and practical advantage. This caused me to use digital more often when I wanted hand-held shooting with slower shutter speeds. I usually traveled then with both a film SLR and a DSLR. Sometimes I still do. But since then digital has come into its own more fully, and I now shoot film only rarely.

Eventually, the next generation arrived in the K200D and K20D. After a time the price came down, so I bought a K200D, same sensor as the K10D, since I liked the upgrades in adjustment capabilities it offered over the K10D and the opportunity to find out what the upgraded sensor (from 6mp) could deliver. I was quite impressed. It even had somehow overcome much of the ISO limitation and noise problems of the K10D. It could deliver acceptable results at ISO 800 and even above that. Even better than film! I liked its using AA batteries- a convenience. Ergonomics- excellent. I really liked its imaging. Film now was more closely rivaled! But if I wanted a full set of controls for digital use, in bright lighting negating the need for SR, it was still the *istD, but then only occasionally.

When the K-7 arrived, I read user reports and test reviews with interest. It sported updates in features, live view, etc. that held little interest for me, but in imaging quality it actually ran slightly behind the previous K20D. So I bought a new K20D as a closeout at 1/2 its original price, or around 1/2 the price of the K-7! And with a free 5-year Pentax full warranty! Like the K200D, I found colors to be especially rich. I ascribed this, at least in part, to their tendency to underexpose. But with digital there is a lot of processing going on, whether in-camera and/or post-processing. With film there is also this with print film, much depending on the processing lab as to exposure, color, etc. But slide film is better standardized. One knows what to expect from the brand and category of slide film selected. The K20D proved to be a very impassive performer- noticeably superior resolution when using top-notch lenses. However, my K200D being still a fine performer while smaller and lighter, was still a handy alternative. Both well-built and having WR. At last with the large-bodied K20D, I again had a DSLR flagship model with a full set of on-body controls. I retired my *istD to a shelf where it has sat completely unused since. When I get around to selling it, someone will get a very low-use, pristine copy.

After another few years, I got into the remarkable K-5 series with more accurate metering and exposure, as well as breakthrough attributes in low-noise at higher ISO with low loss of detail, higher dynamic range, and a great set of on-body controls with fine ergonomics in a more compact form. Film at that point faded into the background.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-17-2020 at 02:43 PM.
02-18-2020, 07:00 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The *istD also uses older flash systems from Pentax with off the sensor plane exposure ttl.
02-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I have both a (an?) *istD and a k10D. Both are wonderful cameras, each with their own feel. With A series or autofocus lenses, the k10D is the superior camera in most ways, with high ISO use being the #1 shortcoming. ISO 400 and below the k10D is a monster.
I would agree with this. Until relatively recently, my main camera had been a K10D and my wife was using an *istD. They both were capable of creating great pictures. As much as I liked my K10D, I came close to stealing my wife's *istD just to use as an everyday, carry everywhere camera. It being only 6 megapixels wasn't really an issue. However, I still preferred my K10D for my main camera. I only upgraded because of its lack of image quality at any ISO above 400. If you can live with shooting at a lower ISO range, the K10D is a great camera and is built to last for years.

02-19-2020, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
My “new” K10D will be here tomorrow. Bought from KEH and rated “EX.”
Have the Pentax 18-135 to mount and try immediately after charging the battery.

Hope the weather warms up a bit so I can tolerate the outdoors.