Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

Where to buy older Pentax DSLR?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

New to the forum and yet to own an older Pentax. Thinking along the lines of the ist-D or the K10D. I note an Ebay seller who seems to list/sell a lot of Pentax gear (dwcinia in Ely, Iowa).
Any tips on the best places to purchase either of these cameras (and lenses also)??

Many thanks ....

02-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
New to the forum and yet to own an older Pentax. Thinking along the lines of the ist-D or the K10D. I note an Ebay seller who seems to list/sell a lot of Pentax gear (dwcinia in Ely, Iowa).
Any tips on the best places to purchase either of these cameras (and lenses also)??

Many thanks ....
As this is a photo-sharing thread, I'd recommend that you post your question separately. You'll get more responses that way.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to help move your post to its own thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2020, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks ....
Here in the marketplace.
02-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Much recommend a K10D over an *istD. The K10D was a breakthrough camera for its time. They are very different. The K10D was the first to offer WR (weather Resistant) from having a very well-built body with WR seals. It also has contacts to function with lenses having their own autofocus motors, of which there are many very desirable ones of all types.

Is there anything in particular that attracts you to these two models? They are very old indeed, and there are subsequent models with some upgrades that are not as old, but still quite old and that can still be had at a reasonable price.

Are you new to photography, or do you have experience with an SLR camera or a DSLR? Do you have a particular type of lens in mind?

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-14-2020 at 01:17 AM.
02-14-2020, 01:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In edition to the Pentax marketplace, I'd recommend keh.com. They currently have a dozen Pentax DSLRs including a K200D, K10D, and isT DL2. 180 day warranty and they also sell Pentax lenses as well.

Bhphotovideo.com also has a couple K10D and come with a 90 day warranty.
02-14-2020, 02:59 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

lots of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

as was mentioned, check the forum's marketplace and be sure to ask any questions you have

review the info you can find on cameras and lenses from the drop down sections above

good luck
02-14-2020, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
K10d

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Much recommend a K10D over an *istD. The K10D was a breakthrough camera for its time. They are very different. The K10D was the first to offer WR (weather Resistant) from having a very well-built body with WR seals. It also has contacts to function with lenses having their own autofocus motors, of which there are many very desirable ones of all types.

Is there anything in particular that attracts you to these two models? They are very old indeed, and there are subsequent models with some upgrades that are not as old, but still quite old and that can still be had at a reasonable price.

Are you new to photography, or do you have experience with an SLR camera or a DSLR? Do you have a particular type of lens in mind?
I would describe myself as an experienced SLR/DSLR amateur. Currently shoot a Nikon D7200 and a Lumix FZ1000 bridge. My attraction to the K10D comes from reading posts here, reviews and viewing images.
Others speak to the great sensor of the K10D, color accuracy, etc.

I am purposely wanting to reduce the bells and whistles and simplify my photography gear. Want to slow down, spend more time in searching for interesting subjects, composing, physically moving to find lines, textures, etc. Perhaps keep lenses to one or two primes.

A simpler camera kit (like the folks in the 6 Megapixel sub-forum) forces the person behind the camera to rely on their skills rather than super fancy “do everything” gear and hours of post processing at the computer.
Sort of like driving old classic cars, sailing classic boats Of flying vintage aircraft. Fun stuff.

02-14-2020, 04:22 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I would describe myself as an experienced SLR/DSLR amateur. Currently shoot a Nikon D7200 and a Lumix FZ1000 bridge. My attraction to the K10D comes from reading posts here, reviews and viewing images.
Others speak to the great sensor of the K10D, color accuracy, etc.. . . .

A simpler camera kit (like the folks in the 6 Megapixel sub-forum) forces the person behind the camera to rely on their skills rather than super fancy “do everything” gear and hours of post processing at the computer.
Sort of like driving old classic cars, sailing classic boats Of flying vintage aircraft. Fun stuff.
sounds great but

does a K 10D qualify ?

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K10D was the first DSLR from Pentax to feature a sensor with a resolution higher than 6 megapixels. It also launched a host of new innovative features which would later become standard on all Pentax bodies, such as Shake Reduction and Dust Removal. . . .
Read more at: Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

or am I confusing your desire for the type of camera you want vs. membership in the 6 MP group
02-14-2020, 04:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
Qualify?

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sounds great but

does a K 10D qualify ?

Read more at: Pentax K10D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

or am I confusing your desire for the type of camera you want vs. membership in the 6 MP group
Yes, more interested in the lower MP and specific camera specs than being a member of the 6MP sub.
02-14-2020, 04:58 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, more interested in the lower MP and specific camera specs than being a member of the 6MP sub.
sounds great

enjoy the Pentax you find
02-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In that case the k10d makes sense also.
02-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can get a complete K10D kit for $90 on Ebay!

Pentax K10D 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens 27075121492 | eBay

I have no relation to seller.
02-14-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I am purposely wanting to reduce the bells and whistles and simplify my photography gear. Want to slow down, spend more time in searching for interesting subjects, composing, physically moving to find lines, textures, etc. Perhaps keep lenses to one or two primes.

Some here feel that the older CCD sensors have especially vibrant colors compared with CMOS sensors used in subsequent models. Whether more accurate is another matter. I hear you regarding sitting at a computer doing post processing. In fact, the K10D is one design where post processing is especially important. I passed it up in favor of the K200D which uses the same sensor. It was the junior model of the next generation. JPEG images right out of the K10D are a bit soft, as tested in the dpreview report. They were not prejudiced against the camera, in fact they were quite taken with it at the time. But they found it had this issue along with inadequate in-camera control of sharpening, making it clearly a design for shooting RAW images with post processing.

The next generation had the top two being the K20D flagship replacing the K10D. It shared the build, larger size, and controls design, but otherwise had numerous upgrades, including a 14.6mp CMOS sensor. It had more in-camera adjustments for less post processing. The junior K200D, still having the 10mp CCD sensor, has better adjustment features also over the previous K10D, such as for sharpening and highlight protection, but not as extensive as the flagship K20D, which includes custom adjustment of AF to match up with each lens if needed. Both could generate good JPEG images out of the camera. In both cases, for best results out of the camera, go into the Custom Image menus and implement "Fine Sharpening" especially in the most-often used "Bright" image category. This still remains true with current models. The K200D is smaller, lighter, yet very well built with WR construction. It has the less expensive pentamirror VF but still a good one, while the flagship K20D has the more expensive glass pentaprism VF. These cameras tend to underexpose by around 1/2-2/3 stop.

The next generation was headed by the 16mp K-5 series flagships. A whole new design that has been very successful. More compact but with very good ergonomics. Much better low light performance, with exceptional dynamic range and preservation of detail at higher ISO usage. Very good also for out of camera images. I still use and have a high regard for my K-5 IIs. The "s" means it has no AA filter for yet finer detail in images, even right out of the camera.

I now still use it, but mostly the current KP. The KP has been an amazing camera, which I find to be really outstanding for out of camera results. I've had mine for over two years. Accurate color, excellent dynamic range, superb higher ISO performance, accurate metering, really fine imaging. None of the current Pentax cameras have AA filters. They now have a different kind of filter that can be switched on as needed, otherwise none. All now have the pro-quality glass pentaprism VF, now with 100% coverage, and with excellent magnification.

Of course, no matter what you shoot with, your own capabilities are indispensable in determining the end result. It is simply a good thing to have better tools at ones disposal.

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-14-2020 at 03:08 PM.
02-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Lots of Good advice here....

On one question....
QuoteQuote:
an Ebay seller who seems to list/sell a lot of Pentax gear (dwcinia in Ely, Iowa).
I have bought way too much gear on ebay, and it can be hit or miss. The Market here at the forum offer a much better chance of good gear...not 100% of the time, but most here are here for the long haul and want a good rep. I always check here first . I can tell you thought that I have bought several times from that seller dwcinia and have always been happy. Matter of fact, just got a K3 grip from them yesterday,

Hth,

al
02-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own both a K10D (which I intend to sell at some point) and a K-3. As you are coming from a D7200 which in some ways is comparable to the K-3, let me say that the image rendition from the K10D is different from that of the newer CMOS sensor cameras. Whether it is better is a matter of taste.

What I had a difficult time with was its performance in less than ideal lighting conditions. Again, depending upon your taste and expectations, you may find exposures at ISOs higher than about 400 to be unacceptably noisy, especially in the shadows. As a result, you may spend more time at the computer in post processing than you would like. So, you may simplify in one respect and complicate in another. As always, this is just one opinion and YMMV.