Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How do we (members) get stores to stock

How do we as members of the fourm get our local stores involved in buying and trying the Pentax lines of DSLR's and lenses? I have talked to all of the camera shops in my area and two already sell the Pentax brand cameras and lenses. both are chain stores and don't stock that much, but do stock some and will order anything you want. The other three said they didn't know Pentax made a DSLR. I took the spec sheets into them and all three said if there were more intrest in these cameras they would stock them also but since C&N have the market and make real cameras they sell them first. If I wanted to buy a Pentax from then they would order it for me.

I told them even if I were to order from them I would be waiting for ever for them to place the order and I would (like any other customer) want to see and feel the camera in my hands.

You can't change minds by talking to them. The only camera shop that does sell Pentax is ordering my K10D and 5 more for stock. these people have been here forever and knows if a customer wants a camera they want to see it first. This shop has always given me good service and I will continue to shop and tell people where to buy the camera gear they want.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

10-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hey Tramp,

Unfortunately, only one thing is going to change that situation and market acceptance of the K100, 110 and 10d is it.. If they do indeed sell as well as it looks they will, shops and chains will begin to carry them.
The law of supply and demand will dictate what small Mom & Pop shops will put their hard earned dollars into for inventory ... period.
The same will hold true for aftermarket lens manufacturers and other accessory companies.
Pentax has made a strong commitment with this current crop of products and it will be interesting to see just how much of an impact their current marketing strategy will have.

cheers ....
10-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was one of my concerns when considering Pentax as apposed to Nikon or Canon: Will they be in stock, are lenses available, can they provide service, accessories etc.

I want to get my first dSLR and after extensive research on what's out there and what I can afford, I figured the K100D is my best deal. But after seeing the K10D I may consider it worth the investment of a few hundred more dollars. I figure on getting the basic starter lens, 18-55mm and go from there.

I know I can order stuff from online venders but I, like you, would like to hold the camera and lenses to get a feel for them before I buy.

I agree though, the market for Pentax will change based on supply and demand. If their products sell then we'll see them in the stores and not just the photography specialty stores.

Regerds,
10-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #4

It is the old demand curve

If retailers do not see a demand, they will carry what is perceived to be in demand. This can feed upon itself and create false demand since consumers think that it must be better if every carries it, then buy more, which makes stores stock more. This is true of cameras, cars, and almost any product.

Now, in the electronics/computer industry, some manufacturers dole out money to market or sell their product, thus, buying mindshare from the sellers. I work in the computer industry, and manufacturers do this with incentives to the reps for selling certain products. It does drive behavior in your lower level reps. HIgher level reps see this as a ploy and sell what the customer really needs and know the customer will become a repeat customer.

So, the answer to your question, from my opinion, is to do one of the following:

a. Continue trying to educate your local stores that do not "like" Pentax and hope they will turn around.
b. Simply mention to them the qualities of Pentax and take your business to someone that does know more about your camera system.
c. Buy online and don't worry about the stores.

I have found a couple good camera stores locally that know Pentax well and like it. I have found a few that push Canon and Nikon solely and could order me a Pentax if that is what I really want. I would feel good buying equipment from the ones that know the product. I would prefer to buy online before buying from someone that views their role as doing me a favor by special ordering something. That is just my thought.

Jeff

10-11-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter

You will see more Pentax in stores

The K100D and K10D will drive more people into the stores looking for Pentax. I recently saw a K100D in a pro store. The Only Pentax they ever carried was medium format. Now they have the digital. It actually displaced Olympus slrs.
Pentax doubled the amount of buy in for a store to get the better terms. They also doubled the time to pay for it. They are making sure stores have stock on hand. My store is doing almost 3X the Pentax this year than last. A good reason to carry Pentax is people can't buy it everywhere. Everyone sells C&N. Everyone.
My worry is Pentax doesn't have the manufacturing to sell as many cameras and lenses as possible. Of our big Pentax order (placed before kina) we have yet to see a K100D. They tell us the K10D is gonna be in very tight supply. That leaves the K110D. With the lens rebates continuing it could be hard to get enough lenses. Hopefully the additional plant is going to pump out more lenses. It is an exciting time. Pentax is much better off than a few years ago.
thanks
barondla
10-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do what a mate of mine did, get all your friends to go into the shop and ask for info about the K10D. We did that with a music album once, I asked for the friend and the store guy said, Wow, we're having a lot of people ask for that!"
10-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Do what a mate of mine did, get all your friends to go into the shop and ask for info about the K10D. We did that with a music album once, I asked for the friend and the store guy said, Wow, we're having a lot of people ask for that!"
Great idea. This will work for a mom and pop type shop. Just go and ask about it, and/or tell them about the features that you know about it. Those are the shops that will listen to the customers and will respond to a perceived demand.