Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #1

digital filters

Hello, I have been reading the forum for a long time and I am thrilled, great posts. I have a question myself about digital filters (e.g. Pentax KP). Does it make a difference if I apply a filter (e.g. high contrast b&w) on custom image with "natural" or with "monochrome" setting (provided that all values are in both cases set to 0 for custom image)?
Isi

02-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Isi Quote
Does it make a difference if I apply a filter (e.g. high contrast b&w) on custom image with "natural" or with "monochrome" setting (provided that all values are in both cases set to 0 for custom image)?
I don't know but would guess not.....I've only used the color extract on jpegs.....maybe the only way to tell is shooting something raw then jpeg and see if there is any difference.....

whenever I use the filter I save as a copy and keep the original
02-15-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello, I have been reading the forum for a long time and I am thrilled, great posts. I have a question myself about digital filters (e.g. Pentax KP). Does it make a difference if I apply a filter (e.g. high contrast b&w) on custom image with "natural" or with "monochrome" setting (provided that all values are in both cases set to 0 for custom image)?
Isi
I’ve had a Kp now for quite some time and had never used a digital filter, so you post made me read about it and want to try it. But I can’t answer exactly right, I’m trying it on an image I previously took but was still in the camera. It was shot in Bleach Bypass, then after the fact I did a selective color filter, and that worked. I think it should work, page 115 of the manual charts out functions that won’t work together. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow.
02-16-2020, 02:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Isi

I too hardly ever use digital filters "in camera". I shoot almost invariably in jpg, but when/if there's an image I feel may "benefit" from some manipulation I press the appropriate on-camera button to save a RAW file as well. I can then fiddle with it in "Digital Camera Utility" when I get home. The supplied software may be a little sluggish and a little unintuitive, but it can apply all the "in-camera special effects", leaving me more time when I'm out to take pictures

02-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A useful in-camera digital filter on monochrome is yellow. It makes a (blue) sky darker, which helps to prevent blowing it out. Additionally it gives a nice gradient from top to bottom. I'm accustomed to using filters on B/W film, but actually the digital in-camera filters are very convenient and I use it all the time.