Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2020, 05:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-m, cannot write images

I noticed recently my good old K-m sometimes refuses to save any pictures to the SD card and the only way to deal with it is turning it off, on, and formatting the SD card. However, the "damaged" card could read and written from a computer and the filesystem checks pass. Happens sporadically. Anyone has experienced this, any solution for that?

02-18-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I haven’t had this issue but it sounds like a bad SD card. I‘d just get a new one. Since you’re using a K-m you’re probably fine with 32GB or even 16GB which can be had for next to nothing these days.
02-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #3

What version of the firmware are you running? I think if you look at the revision notes there will be one that mentions SD card stability.

Edit:
The following content have been improved in Version 1.11.
- Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k-m_s.html

Also try a different card and batteries (fully charged).
02-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had that issue before with a failing SD card. Try another card and check if it happens again.

02-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a similar problem with my Samsung GX-20 (K20D clone). It simply doesn't like SD cards larger than 16GB. The final firmware update for the K20D supposedly fixed the problem but the GX-20 never got the corresponding update.
02-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It happens to all the cards I have. This summer, had to buy a new card during the trip, and it happened right to it as well the next day. Sometimes the same cards work for months, up to full, with no issues.

I'll check the firmware revision, though I'm sure I updated it a few years ago.