Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
The only difficulty I am having is reading the info line at the bottom of the viewfinder (only in very sunny days with lots of white snow on the ground - the two days I’ve owned her). I tried my best to change my view angle and made sure that my eye was as tight to the viewfinder as possible, but had no luck.
No problem reading it inside the house and in shade. But need to resolve this. Can’t shoot Manual without knowing the exposure settings and being able to adjust them accordingly.

As long as you don't wear glasses, fitting an O-ME53 eyepiece to the camera could help with this problem. I find that it fits my eye more snugly than the standard eyepiece does, which makes it less likely that stray light will get into the viewfinder. Also, the magnification will make the display look bigger and hopefully easier to see.

Personally I wouldn't want to shoot without the O-ME53.

02-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Thought I’d share a picture of the rubber cup on my viewfinder.

Yep, that's the standard eyepiece and it could well be part of the problem. Here's a snap of what the O-ME 53 looks like, on a K-S1 in this example but it also works with the K10D. It fits around my eye more tightly and helps to keep out stray light.

02-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
As long as you don't wear glasses, fitting an O-ME53 eyepiece to the camera could help with this problem. I find that it fits my eye more snugly than the standard eyepiece does, which makes it less likely that stray light will get into the viewfinder. Also, the magnification will make the display look bigger and hopefully easier to see.

Personally I wouldn't want to shoot without the O-ME53.
I forgot to mention that I also have the O-ME53 installed on my K10D, but I think the viewfinder information was ok before that. The viewfinder will just amplify a little bit what's there. It's not going to make things brighter. If anything because of the fact that it amplifies the image, it gets slightly darker.

In fact, I just took the O-ME53 off and the viewfinder information does seems a bit brighter and just perfect to read. So I think it's just an issue with the OP's specific K10D.
02-21-2020, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I've found this shot of a K10D display posted by a guy called Philip Ball on Flickr, and I hope it counts as fair use to post it here as an aid. The display in my GX-10 version of the K10D is just a fraction darker than the one in the photo when I look through the viewfinder with the lens cap on and O-ME 53 fitted. If the OP sees a substantially darker display then there's something wrong with the camera and he should return it.

02-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad you are enjoying your K10d. Got mine early in 2008 and it really launched me back into photography. Felt good in the hands, small, menus sensible, weather sealing very cool, and as I came to learn, it was set up such that IMHO, whenever you need something on the camera, it was right there and easy to use. 13-years later, having gone on with my K20d, then K-5, then K-3, and now a K1II, I still remember my K10d, although in my progression my absolute fav was my K-5, regardless, enjoy your new to you camera.
02-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've found this shot of a K10D display posted by a guy called Philip Ball on Flickr, and I hope it counts as fair use to post it here as an aid. The display in my GX-10 version of the K10D is just a fraction darker than the one in the photo when I look through the viewfinder with the lens cap on and O-ME 53 fitted. If the OP sees a substantially darker display then there's something wrong with the camera and he should return it.

That might be a good image to compare with the lens cap on or in total darkness, but the relative brightness of the LEDs will look darker in bright daylight conditions. Still, a good baseline for the OP to compare with his K10D in total darkness.
02-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the K10D. It's my favorite DSLR, and the 18-135 is a great match for it. As mentioned, be sure to visit the K10D Club here on PF. Enjoy!

02-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #23

Original Poster
Viewfinder

Mine looks pretty much just like this when cap is on or when inside with cap off.
It is outside when bright that it is impossible to read the bottom line. I may have to return it.
02-22-2020, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Mine looks pretty much just like this when cap is on or when inside with cap off.
It is outside when bright that it is impossible to read the bottom line. I may have to return it.

Okay, so that establishes that there's nothing faulty with your camera, since it looks the same as the example photo with the lens cap on. So your problem is stray light getting into the viewfinder when you're shooting in bright light. Returning your camera and replacing it with another K10D won't solve that problem, as any other K10D will be pretty much the same.

Options:

Try an O-ME53 eyepiece, or one of the various generic rubber eyecup options that you can buy online that will form an almost light-tight seal around your eye.

Or accept that a DSLR that went out of production over ten years ago just won't have the same display brightness as a current camera, and try a more recent model.
02-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Thought I’d share a picture of the rubber cup on my viewfinder. Just wondering if this is the same as what was mentioned on another post I read somewhere here on the forum. Or, if there is one that may be better for me viewing the info line on the bottom of the image in the viewfinder.
I did send an email to KEH and shall wait to see what they reply.
For your viewing pleasure! K10D : Digital SLR Cameras | RICOH IMAGING

Also: Diopter adjustment - PentaxForums.com

Did you try removing the diopter and looking at the info in the VF without it?
02-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
For your viewing pleasure! K10D : Digital SLR Cameras | RICOH IMAGING

Also: Diopter adjustment - PentaxForums.com

Did you try removing the diopter and looking at the info in the VF without it?
Not sure how I would remove the diopter? And it is not really in the way of the viewfinder window. Of course, I could be missing something.
02-22-2020, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Will do. Have not been able to determine manufacture date.
Manufacture date is embedded in the image, see attachment.

Cheers

---------- Post added 02-22-20 at 09:27 AM ----------

Not sure how I would remove the diopter? And it is not really in the way of the viewfinder window. Of course, I could be missing something.
Here is a link to the owners manual from Ricoh/Pentax web site in case you don't have the manual, info on the diopter is on page 60.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k10d.pdf

Attached Images

02-22-2020, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
OP here. Good morning all.
Thanks for the many tips and help here on this issue.
Another bright sunlight day here in Northern Michigan (quite rare).

So I just returned from being outside and shooting about 50 shots in M mode. Actually was able to better see the info line in the viewfinder by playing with many different viewing angles, pressure on the cup, etc. I would say I could see it accurately enough (90+%) to properly alter aperture and shutter speed to accurately get good exposure. The few times I could not, I simply used the top LCD to get exposure set and took the shot.

I will order the O-ME53 eyecup today as I believe it will help. But, I am significantly pleased and I am keeping this gal. Love the IQ, colors, etc.

Thanks again! This forum is especially great in that experienced Pentax shooters seem so willing to help the NEWB learn. Have a great week end!!
02-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Cheers from Ottawa! Enjoy your shooting!
02-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #30

Original Poster
Got it:
Attached Images