Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 07:54 AM - 12 Likes   #1

Thrilled with my “New” K10D

Received my “EX” rated K10D from KEH yesterday. It appears to have never been used - not a mark on it and spotless inside. Ran the shutter count on the online EXIF reader on this forum and it says: 3751. If that is accurate, previous owners did not shoot very often. Serial # is: 2320308

Picked up a spotless 18-135 from a photo club member who was getting rid of all of his Pentax gear to move to SONY. Tried it out on the K10D and was blown away. Great colors and detail.

Imported 10 .PEF images into my ON1 Photo Raw 2020 and they all were perfectly editable. ON1 had the K10D camera profile and did the proper lens correction for the 18-135. Images had zero Color cast, hue, etc. Just nice! No dust spots or such on any of the images.

I’m pretty geeked and happy with this acquisition. Will be FUN!

02-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
Received my “EX” rated K10D from KEH yesterday. It appears to have never been used - not a mark on it and spotless inside. Ran the shutter count on the online EXIF reader on this forum and it says: 3751. If that is accurate, previous owners did not shoot very often. Serial # is: 2320308

Picked up a spotless 18-135 from a photo club member who was getting rid of all of his Pentax gear to move to SONY. Tried it out on the K10D and was blown away. Great colors and detail.

Imported 10 .PEF images into my ON1 Photo Raw 2020 and they all were perfectly editable. ON1 had the K10D camera profile and did the proper lens correction for the 18-135. Images had zero Color cast, hue, etc. Just nice! No dust spots or such on any of the images.

I’m pretty geeked and happy with this acquisition. Will be FUN!
Welcome to the Pentax World, you may want to record your serial# & info in the database! Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
02-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratz! The 18-135mm is a stellar performer!
02-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Welcome to the Pentax World, you may want to record your serial# & info in the database! Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
Will do. Have not been able to determine manufacture date.

02-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing things can and are still being done by the K10.
02-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, you hit the jackpot with that shutter count. I know a lot of people buy cameras and then never really use them, how many are sitting in closets just waiting to be used? In
02-21-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was about the shutter count mine had when I got it some 3 years ago, but it wasn't in mint condition. Still, I've happily added many thousands more shots by now to its count

The K10D is a wonderful thing, if you don't mind the size, which isn't that big, but compared to mirrorless it's obviously quite large. I don't mind it, I think it looks and feels like a proper camera, and I'm happy with the output from it.

I know the OP likes his DA 18-135mm but I really encourage him to experiment with some primes as the K10D brings the best out of a lens rendering at base ISO, IMHO.

02-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That was about the shutter count mine had when I got it some 3 years ago, but it wasn't in mint condition. Still, I've happily added many thousands more shots by now to its count

The K10D is a wonderful thing, if you don't mind the size, which isn't that big, but compared to mirrorless it's obviously quite large. I don't mind it, I think it looks and feels like a proper camera, and I'm happy with the output from it.

I know the OP likes his DA 18-135mm but I really encourage him to experiment with some primes as the K10D brings the best out of a lens rendering at base ISO, IMHO.
Well said!

My K10D is certainly up to the challenge of using expensive, premium, fast lenses on it.

02-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
Banned

Congrats on getting yours, I plan on getting my own K10D in the next few weeks too.
02-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #10

Original Poster
The only difficulty I am having is reading the info line at the bottom of the viewfinder (only in very sunny days with lots of white snow on the ground - the two days I’ve owned her). I tried my best to change my view angle and made sure that my eye was as tight to the viewfinder as possible, but had no luck.
No problem reading it inside the house and in shade. But need to resolve this. Can’t shoot Manual without knowing the exposure settings and being able to adjust them accordingly.
02-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Well said!

My K10D is certainly up to the challenge of using expensive, premium, fast lenses on it.

Indeed!

Have you tried doing panoramas with it yet? Even just a 4 image panorama will give you a great looking image of about 25MP (about the file size of the modern Pentax cameras) but will look much much better. IMHO

Once I get some more time for photography again, I intend to do much more pano work.

Oh, and to the OP: Check out the K10D thread to get inspired: The K10D Club! - PentaxForums.com
02-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The only difficulty I am having is reading the info line at the bottom of the viewfinder (only in very sunny days with lots of white snow on the ground - the two days I’ve owned her). I tried my best to change my view angle and made sure that my eye was as tight to the viewfinder as possible, but had no luck.
No problem reading it inside the house and in shade. But need to resolve this. Can’t shoot Manual without knowing the exposure settings and being able to adjust them accordingly.
I had to just check mine because I didn't remember how bright the information on the viewfinder was... it is fine, certainly not dim at all.

With these older cameras, these things can happen. If you really need one, I'd say hunt down another K10D and then sell yours with the disclaimer that the viewfinder info is dim. You might lose 20 bucks selling for 80 dollars instead of 100 but it's probably worth it if you need the viewfinder info. I find I don't use it much.

Or even better, you might call KEH and explain that it's not in excellent condition because you can't see the information in the viewfinder. They might have another one to exchange, or you might be able to return it to get another one.
02-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Welcome to the Pentax World, you may want to record your serial# & info in the database!
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Amazing things can and are still being done by the K10.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Wow, you hit the jackpot with that shutter count.
Received my “EX” rated K10D from KEH yesterday.
I’m pretty geeked and happy with this acquisition.
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Congratz! The 18-135mm is a stellar performer!
Or even better, you might call KEH and explain that it's not in excellent condition because you can't see the information in the viewfinder. They might have another one to exchange, or you might be able to return it to get another one.
@Frieff: Kudos on the new camera! Geek On!!!
@SharkyCA: Agreed, should enter the serial # in the database with a notation about the viewfinder dim.
@Kemos: So true, I've seen excellent results with 10MP at or below 400 ISO.
@Ramseybuckeye: KEH is very good and consistent with their rating system, so I'm not surprised with the low shutter count on an EX.
@FozzFoster: Yes @Frieff was wise to pair the new camera to a modern zoom.
@ChristianRock: Agreed, if the dim viewfinder is a deal breaker for the OP, I'd contact KEH. There are other K10D, if not from them, elsewhere like Used Pentax K10D SLR, Digital Camera Kit with Pentax 19092 B&H
02-21-2020, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
I have recorded the serial number in the database.
02-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #15

Original Poster
I had to just check mine because I didn't remember how bright the information on the viewfinder was... it is fine, certainly not dim at all.

With these older cameras, these things can happen. If you really need one, I'd say hunt down another K10D and then sell yours with the disclaimer that the viewfinder info is dim. You might lose 20 bucks selling for 80 dollars instead of 100 but it's probably worth it if you need the viewfinder info. I find I don't use it much.

Thought I’d share a picture of the rubber cup on my viewfinder. Just wondering if this is the same as what was mentioned on another post I read somewhere here on the forum. Or, if there is one that may be better for me viewing the info line on the bottom of the image in the viewfinder.
I did send an email to KEH and shall wait to see what they reply.
Attached Images