Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Glad you are enjoying your K10d. Got mine early in 2008 and it really launched me back into photography. Felt good in the hands, small, menus sensible, weather sealing very cool, and as I came to learn, it was set up such that IMHO, whenever you need something on the camera, it was right there and easy to use. 13-years later, having gone on with my K20d, then K-5, then K-3, and now a K1II, I still remember my K10d, although in my progression my absolute fav was my K-5...
Is K-5 still your fav? In case, why?

02-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Is K-5 still your fav? In case, why?
Yes it is, although I seldom use it anymore. I got it in April 2011. It was such an improvement over my K-20d in resolution, it went to ISO 80 versus 100, the color rendering was the best yet, even though I had grown to really like my K-20d, bottom line was that that Sony sensor coupled with weatherized body and great layout, just fit sooo nice. Later on my K-3 was faster and was 24mpix and more than my K-5 but it never got the love from me that my K-5 did. As much as I love my K-1 now, when I do pick up my K-5 it's sorta like coming home. I don't know if that's the best explanation I can give but that's what I recall.
02-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Good combo. I have my old K10D and also the 18-135...I like both of them very much. Under 4000 shutter actuations...your K10D is barely broken in ! I have 60,000 + on my K10D and it's still working away quite well.
02-23-2020, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Welcome. I love and still use my K10D nearly every day. I bought it new 13 years ago and it hasn't let me down. My viewfinder and the data below is very bright, with or without the O-ME53 on it (I would highly recommend this magnifier).

I would also recommend the FA 43 Limited as your first premium lens to show off what the K10D can really do.

03-09-2020, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Just got back from a two week vacation in sunny Arizona, USA. The only camera I took was my K10D. Below are a few photos I took with it.

10MP is not too little resolution for me because I use Topaz Gigapixel for up-sizing when needed.

I am finding that I prefer the colors that I'm getting out of the K10D's CCD sensor over the colors that I get out of my Pentax K-1, K-5, or K-3 CMOS sensors.

On my Arizona trip I only took one lens - an adapted Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens. In the near future I'll be testing some of my adapted Leica lenses on the K10D. I suspect the K10D and Leica lenses will be a "marriage made in color heaven".

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
03-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #36
Pentaxian

By the way, the above photos are pretty much right out of the camera, with no color adjustments done in post processing.
03-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frjeff Quote
OP here. Good morning all.
Thanks for the many tips and help here on this issue.
Another bright sunlight day here in Northern Michigan (quite rare).

So I just returned from being outside and shooting about 50 shots in M mode. Actually was able to better see the info line in the viewfinder by playing with many different viewing angles, pressure on the cup, etc. I would say I could see it accurately enough (90+%) to properly alter aperture and shutter speed to accurately get good exposure. The few times I could not, I simply used the top LCD to get exposure set and took the shot.

I will order the O-ME53 eyecup today as I believe it will help. But, I am significantly pleased and I am keeping this gal. Love the IQ, colors, etc.

Thanks again! This forum is especially great in that experienced Pentax shooters seem so willing to help the NEWB learn. Have a great week end!!
If you wear glasses when you shoot, that could be part of the problem in addition to any shortcoming in design of the K10D eyecup or FV design. The O-ME53 eyecup should help.

Looks like you found an extraordinary deal in such a pristine K10D! A very rare find! Good for you. With that exceptional lens, you have much to look forward to. Enjoy, and be sure to send in some results to share.

---------- Post added 03-09-20 at 12:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Just got back from a two week vacation in sunny Arizona, USA. The only camera I took was my K10D. Below are a few photos I took with it.

10MP is not too little resolution for me because I use Topaz Gigapixel for up-sizing when needed.

I am finding that I prefer the colors that I'm getting out of the K10D's CCD sensor over the colors that I get out of my Pentax K-1, K-5, or K-3 CMOS sensors.

On my Arizona trip I only took one lens - an adapted Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS lens. In the near future I'll be testing some of my adapted Leica lenses on the K10D. I suspect the K10D and Leica lenses will be a "marriage made in color heaven".
You've got me thinking I should send in my old K200D (same sensor as the K10D) to get its battery drain problem fixed and use it on occasion. It has been sitting for years, so I should get it done. I used to shoot the K20D and K200D alternately, and found the K20D produced even more vivid colors. Great saturation. I still have both of those cameras, though I have been using my KP, K-5 IIs, and K-S2 for my smallest.

03-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Just had a thought on this Ricoh may have addressed this issue in a "Firmware Update" what firmware are you running?

Here is a link to the firmware for the K10 d at Pentax:Latest K10D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Make sure you follow their procedure!
03-12-2020, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

By the way, the above photos are pretty much right out of the camera, with no color adjustments done in post processing.
That is pretty impressive in terms of colors I'd say... I think I'd prefer the Pentax 50 1.2 lens as I really like Pentax colors but those are very nice as well. I also love the Leica rendering and colors (from seeing pics of course, I've never been able to get my hands on any Leica that wasn't just a badge...) - so I'm looking forward to seeing what you will get from the K10D+Leica lenses!
03-15-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

The Pentax K10D has 10.2MP APS-C CCD sensor. I just purchased a 14MP CCD sensor Sony A350 camera and a couple of A mount lenses (unfortunately there is no K to A adapter available that focuses at infinity).

As far as I know, the 14MP CCD sensor that is in the Sony A350 is the most MP of any CCD sensor produced for a digital camera.

I'll be sure to post some comparative photos between these two excellent CCD cameras. From what I've seen on the Internet, the colors/rendering of both cameras are very similar, just the Sony has more resolution (and a tilty LCD screen and live view). They both have IBIS though.

I have a 90mm Leica lens (I thinks it's an APO) that (with some custom adapting on the lens mount) I hope to use on both bodies in this test. Should be interesting...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-15-2020 at 12:43 PM.
03-15-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

If the Sony's IQ is as good as the K10D's, then the Sony A350 just might be the pinancle of CCD development in a digital camera. We'll see, stay tuned...

I'm looking forward to seeing those comparisons. I've seen some very tempting shots from A350s in the past.
03-15-2020, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing those comparisons.
Same here! My wife had an A300, which of course had the same 10.2 mp sensor as the K10D. Nice camera, but the viewfinder was sooo tiny!
03-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Same here! My wife had an A300, which of course had the same 10.2 mp sensor as the K10D. Nice camera, but the viewfinder was sooo tiny!
The A350 has a large for its' time 2.7" LCD. When it's switched to LCD screen, a cover drops over the optical viewfinder to stop stray light from entering. Also there is a dedicated button above the right thumb that allows instant magnification of the live view image. So for a guy like me who exclusively focuses using live view, the Sony A350 is a dream come true.

Of course the Pentax K10D doesn't have Live View, at least not function live view that I'd ever use for focusing.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-15-2020 at 12:44 PM.
03-15-2020, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

As far as I know, the 14MP CCD sensor that is in the Sony A350 is the most MP of any CCD sensor produced for a digital camera.
The Kodak 40MP CCD sensor in the Pentax 645D is the most MP of any CCD sensor that I'm aware of.
03-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Alex, thanks for posting that information! I was thinking basically of affordable cameras. The NEW old stock Sony A350 I bought was $170, while a nice used Pentax 645D body would cost 10 times that.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-15-2020 at 12:45 PM.