Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
Hi Hoghead

Is your issue resolved? My K20D arrived yesterday and within 100 shots the camera has frozen up 4 times. When turned on it displays the battery symbol and when turned off it displays the number of shots. But other wise it is locked solid. removing and replacing the battery resolves the issue temporarily.
No, I still have the problem every now and then. I called Pentax and was told to keep using it and wait until the warranty was almost up and them send it in. That way I would get another 12 months from that date.

02-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #17

Same problem

Interesting thread! I've had the same problem with my K20 for the past few months.

The camera locks and only shows remaining exposure digits, until the battery is removed and re-inserted.

I have only ever experienced the freeze when using the camera outside. This has led me to wonder if it is anything to do with the temperature as I've never had the problem in the studio. Although, I have never braved sub-zero temperatures outside, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

I originally thought it may be the 8gb SDHC Transcend cards I was using as I've seen other forums mention this problem in connection with them. However, I still had the problem when I switched to SanDisk Extreme IIIs.

I replaced the factory-installed 1.01 firmware with the 1.01 firmware downloaded from Pentax's website this morning. Took 120 shots in pretty cold midlands snow without a single problem. Too early to tell if the problems fixed, but it's quite promising.

Out of interest, is anyone else with this problem using the battery grip? I am and don't know if this may be a factor.

I'm also interested in the post mentioning a serial commencing "29". My serial starts with "30". Coincidence...?
02-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem with a brand new K20d, straight out of the box. It would randomly freeze when attempting to access the SD card.

The same problem happened with 3 different SD cards (one of them being an excellent quality Lexar Pro class 6 SDCH 8gb card!)

I sent the k20d back to the store for an exchange and am waiting for my new camera.

I've researched this problem on the net and it seems to happen a bittoo often... I have to admit I am not too impressed with the Pentax quality control on the K20...

Pat
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I finally broke down and sent my K20 back for repair. Seems as though they have been able to correct the problem for those who sent them back. Been about two weeks now. Don't really mind the time if the get the problem corrected, I still have my trusty K10!