Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Help! K20 Freezes up

Anybody have this problem? I have brand new K20 body and have only used it twice. Both times after about 50 shots the camera freezes up and I have to remove the battery to correct the problem. I have tried different batteries and memory cards but no help. You cannot turn the camera on or off. When you turn it off the numbers of frames left stays on the top LCD. When you turn it back on the battery indicator is all that shows up. I saw a post on a K200 doing something similar but no fix. I bought this second body for a wedding this weekend and it doesn't look good. Might be shooting with my old trusty K10 with no backup, not good. Any ideas other than sending it back. I just reinstalled the firmware and am going to give it another try now.

Last edited by SA Photo; 10-26-2008 at 06:15 PM.
10-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by hoghead Quote
Anybody have this problem? I have brand new K20 body and have only used it twice. Both times after about 50 shots the camera freezes up and I have to remove the battery to correct the problem. I have tried different batteries and memory cards buy no help. You cannot turn the camera on or off. When you turn it off the numbers of frames left stays on the top LCD. When you turn it back on the battery indicator is all that shows up. I saw a post on a K200 doing something similar but no fix. I bought this second body for a wedding this weekend and it doesn't look good. Might be shooting with my old trusty K10 with no backup, not good. Any ideas other than sending it back. I just reinstalled the firmware and am going to give it another try now.
I've had a similar, if not identical, problem. Pretty much all functions , including the shutter, would freeze up. Resetting the in camera battery would get it working again.
User error in my case: I was able to duplicate the glitch by depressing the exposure compensation button on the vertical grip when I tripped the shutter. It's just the way I grip the camera. The ball of my thumb falls over the grip's exposure compesation button. Tighten my grip a little and....oh no, not again!
10-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anybody have this problem? I have brand new K20 body and have only used it twice. Both times after about 50 shots the camera freezes up and I have to remove the battery to correct the problem. I have tried different batteries and memory cards buy no help. You cannot turn the camera on or off. When you turn it off the numbers of frames left stays on the top LCD. When you turn it back on the battery indicator is all that shows up. I saw a post on a K200 doing something similar but no fix. I bought this second body for a wedding this weekend and it doesn't look good. Might be shooting with my old trusty K10 with no backup, not good. Any ideas other than sending it back. I just reinstalled the firmware and am going to give it another try now.
I would suggest sending a letter to Ned at Pentax. Ask him if a firmware update is due and if not tell him that if Pentax do not rectify the problem, that you may sell all your gear and go to another brand...

You WILL get a response..and quickly!

That always seems to work with most products out there.

Ben
10-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a similar when i used the Transcend SD 4gb 133x card, i changed the card for Transcend SD 4gb 155x and it's help me, never happen again.....

10-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

G'day Hog Head,
Had something similar with my K20D.
Releasing the battery would reset it and it would only turn on with a half depress of the shutter button, once on, all was good.

I eventually sent mine back and was told they replaced the main circuit board. All good now.

Cheers from a BMW rider.
10-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went out yesterday after reinstalling the firmware to version 1.01 and took about 200 random shots with no problems. I'm going to try that every day after work to see what happens. I'd really like to be able to trust the camera for the wedding I'm doing this weekend.
12-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #7

I went out yesterday after reinstalling the firmware to version 1.01 and took about 200 random shots with no problems. I'm going to try that every day after work to see what happens. I'd really like to be able to trust the camera for the wedding I'm doing this weekend.
How did it hold up with your testing? Were you able to use the body for the wedding on November 1st?
12-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It worked fine the entire week. At the rehearsal on Friday night it froze up again after about 10-15 shots. I used it on Saturday for some posed shots with no problems but used the K10D for the actual ceremony, didn't want to take a chance. I haven't had a problem since with the K20D.

12-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #9

It worked fine the entire week. At the rehearsal on Friday night it froze up again after about 10-15 shots. I used it on Saturday for some posed shots with no problems but used the K10D for the actual ceremony, didn't want to take a chance. I haven't had a problem since with the K20D.
Thanks for the update.
12-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi Hog head, I have the same problem for couple of times but it is ok so far since those glitches, my camera's S/N start with 29, maybe batch manufacturing related?
12-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My one and only freeze-up to date happened when my K20D was only 3 weeks new. I fired off a shot using my Vivitar 283 and thought I might have fried the camera. But I had taken several shots before and since with that flash, which only outputs at 8.5V, so I'm not sure whether it was the flash or not.

It might have been the accidental press of another button while pressing the shutter, as mentioned above. With a previous digicam of mine, this was the case and accidentally doing this caused all the camera settings (date, time, etc) to reset as well.
12-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

anyone know if this is common? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a K20D, but if there's issues... I might opt for a K200D instead in the meanwhile.
01-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
BPT
Veteran Member

Hi Hoghead

Is your issue resolved? My K20D arrived yesterday and within 100 shots the camera has frozen up 4 times. When turned on it displays the battery symbol and when turned off it displays the number of shots. But other wise it is locked solid. removing and replacing the battery resolves the issue temporarily.
01-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
Hi Hoghead

Is your issue resolved? My K20D arrived yesterday and within 100 shots the camera has frozen up 4 times. When turned on it displays the battery symbol and when turned off it displays the number of shots. But other wise it is locked solid. removing and replacing the battery resolves the issue temporarily.
Hi Brad,
Some people have had success by changeing the SD card.

I returned my K20D and they replaced the main board in it. I would send it / take it back pronto, in the frozen state, with a letter explaining in detail what is going on.

Being an intermittent fault it will have the annoying habit of NOT showing up when you want it to.

Once repaired I have had no further issues.

Cheers
Grant
01-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
BPT
Veteran Member

I just finished sending off an email to pentax canada requesting support hopefully they will deal with this promptly. Just playing with the camera for a couple hundred shots I seriously love this camera though the locking up does effect my confidence in it.

So I will take your advice, I am going to shoot until it locks up and then leave it in that state, hopefully it will get to them with the battery still charged though