Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2020, 04:07 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bison Bud Quote
Just wondering what percentage of the "New" price for a used item is a fair price for a used item? Obviously, condition does make a difference, but I think there is a certain reduction in price required just because the item is used regardless of it's condition. It's just like a new car that when driven off the lot loses probably 25% of it's book value. Most folks want to recover as much of their initial cost as possible and I don't blame them, however, I wouldn't even consider buying a used item that isn't at least 30% off the retail price of a new one and wonder what percentage others would consider reasonable for a new to used conversion? It might be a good rule of thumb and a good place to start for both seller and buyers. Frankly, listing a $600.00 body or lens for $550.00 is probably not going to get it sold!
Hard to say. I usually check the market place to see what similar items are going for there. B and H and Amazon often have both used and new copies for sale. For instance, a new copy of the FA 43 limited is 546 and a used copy for 410 on Amazon. So, if I were listing an FA 43, I probably wouldn't start at over 410. That's about 25 percent off the new price.

Obviously this is country specific, so for folks in Europe, the prices could be quite a bit higher. It is also lens specific, as the DA * lenses with SDM do not seem to hold their value well due to fear of SDM failure out of warranty. You are probably going to get 50 percent of new value for such a lens.

02-29-2020, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

It seems to me that the following applies.

QuoteQuote:
...adverse selection is a market situation where buyers and sellers have different information, so that a participant might participate selectively in trades which benefit them the most, at the expense of the other trader. A textbook example is Akerlof's market for lemons.

The party without the information is worried about an unfair ("rigged") trade, which occurs when the party who has all the information uses it to their advantage. The fear of rigged trade can prompt the worried party to withdraw from the interaction, diminishing the volume of trade in the market.

Adverse selection - Wikipedia
In the case of photo gear, a lot of sellers are clueless. Present company excluded, of course.

Heck, I paid $1000 dollars for this five years ago - gotta be worth $900 now.

This is a digital camera. There are digital cameras selling for $1000. It must be worth $900.

This was granddad's kit that I inherited. I have no idea what it is or what it is worth. I need $900 to buy a new mountain bike, so that is the price.

On the other hand, buyers like us are quite knowledgeable on what is on the market and what it tends to sell for.
04-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't really see it on the Marketplace, but Craigslist has the poster children for how not to sell items:

Sony 4K video camera - $750 (Dayton)

condition: new
make / manufacturer: Sony
model name / number: FDR AX33
Selling my very slightly used video camera. 20.6 megapixels, balanced optical steady shot, night shot. Wide angle 10x optical zoom. Takes great videos and pictures. Comes with all cables and carrying bag. $750 obo bought it for $850. Please text me with any questions or for more photos.

OK, Is it new or slightly used?
This is a current product, available brand new with warranty for $50 less than the seller's asking price.
As mentioned above by several, some people tend to greatly overvalue their possessions, and think depreciation does not happen to them, this is the classic example

• NIKON D3S - $1200 (Beavercreek)
  • make / manufacturer: nikon
  • model name / number: D3S
  • Nikon D3S this camera is like brand new ,I bought it brand new from Midwest Photo sold for 5200.00 new
  • it has 2233 clicks or activation on it buying new Z7 1200.00 cash only no pay pal no shipping you pick up

This camera is like brand new, except it is 10 years old
What relevancy is there in the original purchase price or where he bought it 10 years ago?
cash only, yes I'm meeting this Craigs List stranger with $1200 cash on me,
I really hope he enjoys his new Z7, maybe even takes more than 223 clicks a year.

Nikon F100 - $375 (Beavercreek)

Nikon 100 I bought the camera brand new I shot 3 rolls of film thru it ,it is like brand new it has the MB15 drive also bought at Midwest Photo $375.00 cash only you pick up no shipping

Gotta be the same guy! Apparently he like to buy expensive items, let them sit several years, maybe they are supposed to increase in value. This camera was last produced in 2006
Classic. The Australian version of Craigslist, Gumtree, is full of examples like that. The adds just sit there for months.....
04-26-2020, 06:01 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
By the way, the VW Beetle I mentioned earlier in this thread is still sitting a half mile from my house, in someone's front yard, with the same $19,500 asking price it had six months ago. Which is still, apparently, about double what he could expect to get.

04-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a word NO, unless the price is giveaway low.
04-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
In a word NO, unless the price is giveaway low.
Looks to me like an average of about one item a day in the Marketplace since the Plague started.

Sold Items - PentaxForums.com