Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 12:12 AM   #1

Is used equipment selling well?

I'm a Pentax user in Japan. After totaling my K1 and D FA 70-200 (heartbreaking drop in Kyoto), I was thinking about selling my D FA 24-70, FA 85 1.4 and DA 300 on Yahoo Auction to get some funds for new equipment. However, when I looked at the ones already posted there, none of them were getting bids. When I bought my K3 some years back, Yahoo Auction was pretty active with sales of used equipment (where I got my 85 and 300 in fact). I'm curious if you've noticed if used equipment is moving well in your home country? I have no intention of selling these if I can't get a reasonable amount for them (Yes, I know that's relative - I'm expecting a good deal less than the used camera shops here in Japan charge).

Thanks for your responses.
Marcus

Last edited by travelour; 02-25-2020 at 04:28 AM.
02-25-2020, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, you have good gear, do not sell it,
If you do sell it, you would probably get better offers here, the members know the quality of those lenses.
02-25-2020, 12:28 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My impression over the last couple of years is that it is not selling well. I’m a small sample size, but the few things I sold did not get a lot of activity, I’ve got a bargain or two On eBay because of being maybe the only bidder, and I have seen some items seem to sit on the Marketplace for quite a while. Strangely though Pentax items on Shop goodwill seem to go for way over value, even with no guarantee that they work and no returns.
02-25-2020, 12:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I seems to be more of a buyers market right now.
I have bought a couple of used K-mount lenses the last year at something like half price they used to sell for.

The last lens I bought a few weeks ago was a Sigma 10-20/3.5 in good condtion for USD 150 (including 25% sales tax).
It was from a retailer that give 6 month warranty on used equipment.

02-25-2020, 01:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your loss.
You have some fantastic lenses though - use them on your K-3 and save up for a new K-1
02-25-2020, 02:21 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the key phrase in your post is "I have no intention of selling these if I can't get a reasonable amount for them". There's definitely an active market for photography gear here in the UK, from vintage film cameras and lenses through to the latest digital models. Stating the obvious, though, pricing has to be right (and in line with condition). Equipment is only worth what someone will pay for it, regardless of what the seller thinks it's worth. I've seen folks in our own Marketplace and on eBay listing quite well-used items at not much less than discounted deals for new. A $1,200 lens that has been used for a year or two and is in very good condition isn't likely to find many potential buyers if it's priced at $1,000, but would sell instantly at $600. The fair market value is somewhere between the two. A seller who's motivated will likely accept a slightly lower price than market average and sell faster. You can often tell, looking at some of the Marketplace listings, who really wants to sell and who doesn't, simply by looking at the pricing

Some items, of course, sell better than others. Your FA85/1.4 will be a breeze to sell should you decide. But still, the market sets what it's worth, not the seller...
02-25-2020, 02:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I seems to be more of a buyers market right now.
I have bought a couple of used K-mount lenses the last year at something like half price they used to sell for.

The last lens I bought a few weeks ago was a Sigma 10-20/3.5 in good condtion for USD 150 (including 25% sales tax).
It was from a retailer that give 6 month warranty on used equipment.
That's what I was thinking.

---------- Post added 02-25-20 at 03:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think the key phrase in your post is "I have no intention of selling these if I can't get a reasonable amount for them". There's definitely an active market for photography gear here in the UK, from vintage film cameras and lenses through to the latest digital models. Stating the obvious, though, pricing has to be right (and in line with condition). Equipment is only worth what someone will pay for it, regardless of what the seller thinks it's worth. I've seen folks in our own Marketplace and on eBay listing quite well-used items at not much less than discounted deals for new. A $1,200 lens that has been used for a year or two and is in very good condition isn't likely to find many potential buyers if it's priced at $1,000, but would sell instantly at $600. The fair market value is somewhere between the two. A seller who's motivated will likely accept a slightly lower price than market average and sell faster. You can often tell, looking at some of the Marketplace listings, who really wants to sell and who doesn't, simply by looking at the pricing

Some items, of course, sell better than others. Your FA85/1.4 will be a breeze to sell should you decide. But still, the market sets what it's worth, not the seller...
BigMackCam, Yes, I totally get that. I expect to take a hit. Definitely below what camera shops try to sell used equipment for, but not so low that it's a steal. Actually, I was very interested in how the UK market is doing. I'm going to be in London from March 9-15 with my students ( IF the coronavirus doesn't cause that trip to get cancelled). I always felt like you guys paid too much for everything; so was tempted to try my luck there. Maybe find a win/win situation where the buyer feels like he/she is getting a great price and I leave feeling separation anxiety, but mildly satisfied and hopeful that I can get something cool or fix the lens. I can't begin to tell you how much I loved that 70-200. Best lens I've ever used.
Marc

02-25-2020, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I have found is that if you price things right they sell pretty quickly. Top end gear and well kept gear tends to do better as well. On the other hand, if you want to squeeze every dime out of your used gear, it will take longer to sell.
02-25-2020, 04:15 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently tried to sell a K 3 and assorted " gear " on the marketplace for over 30 days

I thought I had it priced correctly but I was realistic enough to see that it might have to go lower and I was prepared to negotiate

what I didn't expect was the large number of " looks "

and not one PM asking if I would negotiate on the price

perhaps it was because people were expecting the K New to come out any day ?

[ I don't share that expectation ]

I think it is a " buyers " market for sure
02-25-2020, 05:13 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Usually, when the price is right, things sell quickly. But many people tend to overvalue their gear.

For a k-1, don’t forget that right now someone can get a brand new mirrorless FF camera for 1000$. Thus, don’t expect people to be willing to pay a lot of money for a used DSLR. You don’t have to put the price very high so that, for most people, it just makes more sense to buy in a new system than buying a used K-1.
02-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For an idea of selling price, look at eBay prices for the same item(s) that have actually sold recently. It may be sobering or you might be pleasantly surprised.
02-25-2020, 06:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Maybe you are looking at the wrong market place. FA glass is typically overpriced due to small number of available units and lack of new designs. FA85 will sell well. DA300 should sell ok, DFA 24-70 the same.
What do you want to get new? K1 with 70-200/70-210?
02-25-2020, 06:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The price gap between camera shops selling used gear and gear sold online by private persons has widened significantly.
Maybe because many switch brand? Especially mid price range gear like DA18-135 are really cheap now.
Then the K/A50/1.2 or the (F)A85/1.4 never will be cheap if in good condition.

Seb
02-25-2020, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Donating here to gain access to the marketplace is most certainly what to do if you are trying to sell Pentax gear. First and most importantly, you have the desired audience looking at your sales post, and second, the cost of a donation is much less than the flea bay fees on either of the two lenses you may try to sell, and that is just the fees on one item! The value selling in the forums is easy to see. Good luck whatever you do.
02-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I recently tried to sell a K 3 and assorted " gear " on the marketplace for over 30 days

I thought I had it priced correctly but I was realistic enough to see that it might have to go lower and I was prepared to negotiate

what I didn't expect was the large number of " looks "

and not one PM asking if I would negotiate on the price

perhaps it was because people were expecting the K New to come out any day ?

[ I don't share that expectation ]

I think it is a " buyers " market for sure
My recent sales posts on Marketplace mirror yours exactly. Hundreds of looks, not a single inquiry for a better price. Also, three new members contacted my via PM saying they wanted to purchase items then never followed through. I just ended my Auto Takumar 35/2.3 sale post and moved it to eBay. The price I was asking was LOW for this lens. Three members left comments about how good it is and that they enjoy theirs, still nearly 700 views and not a nibble.
My other items are now cross-listed too.

---------- Post added 02-25-20 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
For an idea of selling price, look at eBay prices for the same item(s) that have actually sold recently. It may be sobering or you might be pleasantly surprised.
I priced my items under recent eBay sold for the same. Nothing but page views here.