Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 06:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Usually, when the price is right, things sell quickly. But many people tend to overvalue their gear.

For a k-1, don’t forget that right now someone can get a brand new mirrorless FF camera for 1000$. Thus, don’t expect people to be willing to pay a lot of money for a used DSLR. You don’t have to put the price very high so that, for most people, it just makes more sense to buy in a new system than buying a used K-1.
Every time I think about this I start doing the math. Being reasonable I could get a little over $2000 for all the Pentax gear in my signature line, if I got takers. A new Fuji X-H1 sells for $1200 or so. A weather sealed 16-55 OIS lens goes for over $1000. Even if I went all used I'd have to sell all my current gear and pay $500+ out of pocket just to get an X-H1, a 100-400mm and a 16-55mm.

Going FF mirrorless like Sony I'm sure the costs would be just as high if not higher, even with a $1000 body that surely lacks a lot of Pentax features like IBIS and weather sealing.

No matter what manufacturer or sensor size duplicating my current kit,or functionally close I'd probably be $2000-3000 out of pocket.

02-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and not one PM asking if I would negotiate on the price
I do find the reluctance of folks to make an offer odd, especially if the item for sale has been sitting for a while.
02-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I do find the reluctance of folks to make an offer odd, especially if the item for sale has been sitting for a while.
just checked

over 2,000 looks

thread started before Christmas, withdrawn 2/1/20
02-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #19

I think there are a lot of folks looking for bargains on used gear online, but far fewer willing to pay a "reasonable price!" Craigslist for example has bargain priced items move in days if not hours, but equipment priced for what it should actually be worth just seems to sit there forever. If it's something very desirable, it can fetch a fair price, but it appears to be difficult to find takers. In any case, decide what you need to get for whatever your selling and hope for the best. However, if you need to move it quickly, your probably going to have to take quite a bit less than what it should be worth. Good luck and good shooting to all.

02-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bison Bud Quote
I think there are a lot of folks looking for bargains on used gear online, but far fewer willing to pay a "reasonable price!" Craigslist for example has bargain priced items move in days if not hours, but equipment priced for what it should actually be worth just seems to sit there forever. If it's something very desirable, it can fetch a fair price, but it appears to be difficult to find takers. In any case, decide what you need to get for whatever your selling and hope for the best. However, if you need to move it quickly, your probably going to have to take quite a bit less than what it should be worth. Good luck and good shooting to all.
I have no problem with buyers looking for bargains

I do that myself

and I always ask politely if there might be " wriggle room " between price being sought and what the seller will take

if the answer is no, I may still buy the item at the original price or I may thank the seller and move on

if the answer is yes, I give an offer

is that an unreasonable approach ?

I don't understand why an interested buyer wouldn't do that
02-25-2020, 07:41 AM - 4 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Maybe because people can easily find the same item at a lower price? No time to lose negotiating for a price you already have from someone else.
If you really want to sell, it’s better to put the lowest price you’re willing to let the item go for without negotiation than put the highest price and hoping people will flow to make you offers...
02-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe because people can easily find the same item at a lower price? No time to lose negotiating for a price you already have from someone else.
If you really want to sell, it’s better to put the lowest price you’re willing to let the item go for without negotiation than put the highest price and hoping people will flow to make you offers...
that depends on how out of the norm your price may be

and what you are offering

apples vs. oranges ya know

I did noticed that steamloco7 seemed to be having the same problem

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
My recent sales posts on Marketplace mirror yours exactly. Hundreds of looks, not a single inquiry for a better price.A . . The price I was asking was LOW for this lens. Three members left comments about how good it is and that they enjoy theirs, still nearly 700 views and not a nibble. . . . I priced my items under recent eBay sold for the same. Nothing but page views here.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/403536-used-equ...ml#post4930676

02-25-2020, 07:58 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding lots of views and lack of offers...

Whatever the marketplace - PF, eBay, Craigslist, etc. - lots of folks read listings with no intention of buying. Some, too, are simply opportunistic, and unlikely to buy unless they happen upon a real bargain (their idea of a bargain may be way different to ours ). For the few who are viewing with a genuine intention to buy at a reasonable price, we have to do everything possible to make our listing work:

- thoroughly clean our items so they look great (lots of folks don't seem to bother with this, or at most they give stuff a cursory wipe... it amazes me)
- include lots of well-taken photos that completely document physical condition and entice the buyer (since we're all photographers, I'm stunned by the poor quality of many Marketplace listing photos)
- include complete but concise descriptions of functional and cosmetic condition, plus information - and, if relevant, examples - that demonstrate to viewers why they should want to buy... They don't need to know that a lens was too heavy for us, that we're "upgrading", or that we're "done with Pentax" and swapping to a different brand; we only need to keep it factual and entirely positive except for matter-of-fact disclosure of any issues
- be sensible with pricing, and if we're prepared to negotiate, make that abundantly clear - in fact, invite prospective buyers to make a reasonable offer!
- format the listing so it's well structured and pleasurable to read
- make payment and returns easy
- review activity frequently and adjust pricing if necessary, bumping the listing in the process

There are other things we can do, but it's all just basic selling... presenting items well, developing interest, selling the positives, removing any barriers to the transaction etc. Essentially, we need to make prospective buyers feel good about what we're selling and give them no reason to pass, or to choose someone else's gear over ours. Lots of listings in our Marketplace and on eBay really do very little indeed to tempt buyers, IMHO

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread. I'm mentioning this for the benefit of anyone having trouble selling.

Still, there are no guarantees - except to say, there is a price at which anything will sell. If we've done everything possible in our listing to entice buyers and our gear still isn't selling, we either need to revise our pricing or withdraw the listing and keep our gear...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-25-2020 at 08:10 AM.
02-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is so much variation in the availability of items for sale that I don't know if a singular pricing philosophy is best.

I don't often see items in the PF Marketplace priced higher than at KEH or similar places.

I usually price my items for sale lower than typical auction site prices (although I have sold things where there are none listed on the auction site), and I usually utilize multiple outlets to sell my gear. Overall I have no complaints, I've been mostly able to sell what I want to sell within a reasonable timeframe.
02-25-2020, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually, when the price is right, things sell quickly. But many people tend to overvalue their gear.
Two things I often see on the marketplace here that I don't understand:

- Items that are identical or nearly identical to others in the marketplace that are priced significantly higher. If I see two 100mm macros in excellent condition, one at $425 and one at $300, I'm never going to give a second thought to the more expensive one.

- Used items that are priced at or even above the cost of that item new at B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc.

For example, right now on the marketplace there are 100mm WR Macros listed in excellent or new condition for $258, 350 Euros (about $380), $400, and $479. Adorama has a used one listed for $249, B&H $419, KEH $313, eBay $360, Amazon has multiple used copies with prime shipping for $310-330. New at B&H and Amazon they're $525. The one here that's $479 has been listed for about three months. I don't get why there's such a spread. Who would buy the used copies for $400+? Why would you buy a used/like new for almost $500 when you can get a brand new one for $500 or so?

Folks are wondering why nobody makes offers... why would anyone make an offer on a lens that's being sold for $400 when there are six other sources where you could avoid the hassle AND save $75?
02-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a buyer, it is a mixed bag here in South Africa. Not a lot of Pentax gear comes up for sale. More often than not it is overpriced. For instance, somebody recently listed a K5 mark one with kit lens - for the low price of USD470! The sad part for me is that I get to see the listing for weeks on end.

When the price is right, sales do happen fairly quickly. I have missed out on the following in the past six months or so: AF540FGZ, M 35mm f/2.8, FA* 24mm f/2, FA* 300mm f/4.5. I had to pass on the first two because of a lack of discretionary funds at the time. The latter two sold within hours of being listed and I saw the ad too late. Sigh...
02-25-2020, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Two things I often see on the marketplace here that I don't understand:

- Items that are identical or nearly identical to others in the marketplace that are priced significantly higher. If I see two 100mm macros in excellent condition, one at $425 and one at $300, I'm never going to give a second thought to the more expensive one.

- Used items that are priced at or even above the cost of that item new at B&H, Adorama, Amazon, etc.

For example, right now on the marketplace there are 100mm WR Macros listed in excellent or new condition for $258, 350 Euros (about $380), $400, and $479. Adorama has a used one listed for $249, B&H $419, KEH $313, eBay $360, Amazon has multiple used copies with prime shipping for $310-330. New at B&H and Amazon they're $525. The one here that's $479 has been listed for about three months. I don't get why there's such a spread. Who would buy the used copies for $400+? Why would you buy a used/like new for almost $500 when you can get a brand new one for $500 or so?

Folks are wondering why nobody makes offers... why would anyone make an offer on a lens that's being sold for $400 when there are six other sources where you could avoid the hassle AND save $75?
I think folks sometimes set their selling price as a reduction of what they originally paid, aiming to claw back what they feel is a reasonable portion of their original investment - which is fine, but if they overpaid in the first place, or if the average market price for the respective item is considerably lower, clearly it's not going to work. A bit of market research in advance works wonders. But then, you'll get some folks thinking "I paid $700 for this lens and I'm only asking $400... I don't care if B&H is only asking $425, I'm not selling for cheap"... which, again, is fine - but it ain't going to sell, period... May as well not list it in the first place. Of course, some people will intentionally set the price high to begin with, expecting to be low-balled... but that doesn't work either. It just puts people off. If I saw an item I was interested in listed at $500 and I was only hoping to pay $300, I wouldn't bother making an offer. If it was priced at $400, I might... and I'd consider paying over my target price if it was a really nice example, presented beautifully in the listing, with all the pertinent information.

A motivated seller will price the item to sell, and put sufficient effort into the listing - their "shop window" - to draw buyers in and close them (or, at least, open a dialogue)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-25-2020 at 11:19 AM.
02-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

personally speaking I set my price based on the recommendation of several members here on the forum solicited via PM before listing the items

and then later I reduce it by 10 %

when I put the K 3 and additional equipment back into the marketplace if I do as suggested and indicate the price can be negotiated.

that will mean, of course, no one will pay the listed price regardless of how reasonable that price might be
02-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

personally speaking I set my price based on the recommendation of several members here on the forum solicited via PM before listing the items

and then later I reduce it by 10 %
That's fine, if those members got the pricing right Most of us tend to over-value our equipment. Or, even if we're reasonably accurate, that pricing may not achieve a quick sale in the current market. I could tell you how much I think your K-3 is worth, and indeed it might be worth that to the right buyer - but the right buyer may not come along for weeks or months. Achieving the best (or close to best) price possible usually takes time; selling quickly usually requires a tempting price, or at least the prospect of one through negotiation.

when I put the K 3 and additional equipment back into the marketplace if I do as suggested and indicate the price can be negotiated.

that will mean, of course, no one will pay the listed price regardless of how reasonable that price might be
Another approach is to decide the minimum you'll accept, set that as the selling price and state "No offers, please, as I've priced the item to sell", or words to that effect

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-25-2020 at 11:39 AM.
02-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
. . . Another approach is to decide the minimum you'll accept, set that as the selling price and state "No offers, please, as I've priced the item to sell", or words to that effect
there are always options

that is certainly true