Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens ?

Hey all. Can anyone tell me except minolta and Sigma wich lens are good to put on a pentax camera. I know that pentax lens are great one

Hope to have answer fast thanks a lot

10-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

any lens with a K-Mount (except Ricoh) will work or M42 lenses with an adapter
10-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you want to know which companies curently make lenses that fit on Pentax cameras, then those are Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina. some others like Phoenix mght make Pentax mount lenses too, but their diffusion is much narrower. Minolta does not make lenses any more, and I don't think they ever did Pentax mount lenses.

regarding what older lenses fit on a Pentax camera, all m42 lenses and all K mount lenses fit. There have been much evolution of the mount but all older lenses still fit. Some lenses, like Ricoh, have a pin that can get stuck, but the pin can be removed. Some older lenses have a flange that has to be removed or dremeled to fit.
10-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #4

If you are looking for lens recommendations, it also depends on the type of shooting you will be doing.

For the lenses made for digitals, I think Tamrons are beauts for color remdition. . .but they have serious limitations when it comes to f stop ranges and aren't the best buy if you do a lot of low lighting shots. The sigmas are better suited, or if you don't mind manually focusing, I LOVE the old film lenses.

What is your price range? What kind of shots will you be taking?

10-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

What the heck is this supposed to mean?

QuoteOriginally posted by lamgray Quote
I think Tamrons are beauts for color remdition. . .but they have serious limitations when it comes to f stop ranges and aren't the best buy if you do a lot of low lighting shots.

Something wrong with the "f stop ranges" of the 28-75mm f/2.8, 17-50mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8? And if you look at the prices, they are EXCELLENT buys....
10-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This List of Lenses with a K-Mount Variant gives you an (incomplete) idea what you can fit on your Pentax.
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I guess we won't hear from "lamgray" as to why he thinks Tamron lenses are so "limited"

12-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #8

Sorry just got to this. . .

Yes, I typed that pretty quickly. . .Fixed focal length. . .you knew what I was talking about

Yes, you can get the full range in the f2.8, but there also is a lot of limitation of what tamron offers for the pentax vs what it offers other makes, which is generally not the case of pentax or sigma

Also, no f1.4, f1.8, f2.0 available like the other brands.

Tamrons in good lighting condition are my favorites b/c the color is the best I see. . .very similar to the super takumars and takumars I've been using

Last edited by lamgray; 12-06-2008 at 10:21 PM.
12-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #9

Also, Sigma, though 100 more for the 70-200 f2.8 has HSM and IS

And, its a SHE not a HE.
12-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to the OP question...To summarize and build on the previous posts, your camera will accept the following lenses:
  • All M-42 screw mount lenses dating back several decades. These include offerings from Pentax, Praktica, Carl Zeiss (Jena), Meyer, Yashica, Mamiya, Ricoh, Vivitar, Fuji, and many, many other exotic labels (see the "Off-Brand Club" for some examples)
  • All lenses with the Pentax K-mount and its many variations with one glaring exception (see below). Again, these are available from many different makers.

Notes and caveats:
  • M-42 lenses require an adapter. The official Pentax brand adapter is strongly recommended. Cheap imitations may not allow for infinity focus.
  • Meter accuracy may be compromised for screw mount as well as for K-mount lenses that lack the "A" setting on the aperture ring. This affects the K10D and K20D, but I am not sure about the K200D. See your camera owner manual for the compatibility matrix.
  • Take care to not confuse M-42 screw mount with T-mount or the M-39 screw mount used on rangefinder cameras
  • There have been serious issues regarding the Ricoh "P" variant of the K-mount. This mount was specific to Ricoh's programmed exposure cameras and includes a special contact pin on the lens mount. This pin may jam into the AF drive on the camera and make it very difficult to remove the lens from the camera. Other manufacturers such as Vivitar, Sigma, and Tamron made lenses for the Ricoh P mount so it is always a good idea to use caution when mounting any lens that has "Ricoh" or K/R stamped on the lens mount. This problem does not affect other, "non-P", lenses from Ricoh.
  • There are no adapters for Nikon lenses
  • There are no adapters for Canon lenses

In addition to lenses made specifically the Pentax system, there are examples of people modifying Nikon, Olympus, Konica, Minolta and even Leitz to fit the Pentax.

So the whole world is out there. Don't spend all your money in one place...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-06-2008 at 11:05 PM.