Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #1

K100D Super Problem :(

Hello, new on here and also new to SLR's so please bear with me
I wonder if anyone can help me please.

My camera (K100DSuper) lost its Auto Focus yesterday. One minute it was fine, the next it stopped working. It's not the lens, we've tried other lenses on it, same problem. Manual focus is fine. The camera is simply not 'grabbing and moving' the lens automatically it seems.

My Husband has had a brief look and can't see anything obvious (not that he or I know what to look for).
Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, seperate issue..... there are specs of round (I presume dust) on my pics. I have activated the dust removal several times and cleaned everything I can get to but they are still there. Very obvious on a blue sky. How do I get rid of them myself or does the camera (if fixable) need a professional clean?

Thank you for any advice on either issue.

10-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like your AF problem is ready for service.
As for the dust, try the squeeze blower. But first go to the menu and find sensor cleaning or you won't reach the sensor. Read the manual on this.
10-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #3

Amanda: the same thing happened with my K100D--the AF just stopped working all together so I was forced to only shoot manually. If it's still under warranty, I would send in your K100Ds for servicing, that way, they can replace the AF system and they'll clean your sensor as well.
10-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Amanda Quote
My camera (K100DSuper) lost its Auto Focus yesterday. One minute it was fine, the next it stopped working. It's not the lens, we've tried other lenses on it, same problem. Manual focus is fine. The camera is simply not 'grabbing and moving' the lens automatically it seems.
Sorry to ask the really obvious, but - you didn't move the switch on the front of the camera from AF to MF, did you? Or, perhaps, change the setting in the custom menu to assign AF to the OK button (thus disabling it on shutter half-press)? Also, are these lenses regular screw-driven AF, or the new SDM lenses?

QuoteQuote:
Also, seperate issue..... there are specs of round (I presume dust) on my pics. I have activated the dust removal several times and cleaned everything I can get to but they are still there. Very obvious on a blue sky. How do I get rid of them myself or does the camera (if fixable) need a professional clean?
Get yourself a rubber bulb blower, use the sensor cleaning mode under the setup menu to lock up the mirror, look carefully at the sensor, and blast it a few times (without touching it).