Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #1

So Confused by various cameras..:o

IF my camera is not fixable (or not cost effective) I will have to get something new.
I have looked at the;
K200
K20
K-M
I am totally confused as to which is a better camera for me.

Summarise my photography.....
I am new to this, about a year now. I take a lot of photos of children, scenery and animals. I really am learning (most of the jargon still baffles me!).
I crop and edit my photos a lot with Picasa.

Any help on the above cameras would be much appreciated, thankyou.

10-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
if the money isnt problem. get the k20. the price quite fair at this moment.

to buy dslr camera body, you need to know surely at how much budget you willing to spent. if u already had. u can begin hunt the and filtering the option.

tell us the budget, the we can give maybe our two cents..

--
10-27-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Amanda,
If you can, go into a shop and handle the cameras. Buy the one you feel most comfortable with (& that is regardless of brand too).

We have the K20D and the K200D. Hard to choose between them, but for the type of thing you are talking about the K200D is hard to beat....unless the K20D was at or very near the same price.

Cheers.
10-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

When my *ist DS had a problem that was not cost-effective to fix I replaced it with the K200D - great camera - love it!!

10-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Basically, it's a hierarchy of models with advancing levels of features and capability.

At the bottom is the K-m, which has the most basic controls and is designed to not be confusing to people who don't understand all the workings of a DSLR, so that they're not confused by all the buttons and functions. It's also probably slower to operate and not built to the same standards as the other 2, but has the advantages of being smaller, simpler, and cheaper.

The K200D is a more intermediate model which gives you more control but is also meant to be accessible to someone new to DSLRs. The price is a little higher, but the build quality is superior, operation is probably faster, and it's a bit more substantial in the hand.

The K20D is the most expensive, though not by much considering the huge leap in capability it is for an advanced user. All the controls are placed directly at your fingertips, the camera is more responsive, and there's a decent step-up in resolution, as well as a solid build.

Really not too confusing when you break it all down. If you want to continue with what you're doing the K200D is probably the best choice for you, though the K20D would give you room to grow. Just because the K20D is a bit of a step up, though, doesn't change the fact that the K200D is a very capable camera.

It may be worth asking what you've been using until now?
10-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

k20d is so cheap now. Time to get it to get the best out of the images.
10-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Budget does enter into things. If you crop a lot, you'd appreciate the extra mp of the K20. The K20 just suits my style very well - I really like how it handles color and sharpness. It's also nice to have the extra flexibility you have with it, though it does take more study to get the most out of it than the other two. You can still get great pictures with it even if you never use all those tweaking controls.

The K200 is lighter, has controls more in menus than the K20 so it is harder to accidentally change something you don't mean to when you take the camera out of the bag and is still weather sealed. The 10 mp sensor has been around for a while (though I've never been completely sold on it - I sold my K10 when I bought the K20 and kept the older K100).

The K-M is smaller and lighter, though not weather sealed. It might be a great choice for someone who doesn't need the weather sealing and wants something light and easily transportable, especially if they aren't all that interested in learning about more advanced features.

If you don't mind the extra weight of the K20 (a BIG if), it would be a great buy right now. I really love it.
10-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

As a very happy K10D owner I would go for the K20D which is similar but with some newer features. Its a rugged, weathersealed camera that you probably won't grow out of anytime soon. A little bit of a learning curve at first but its a very easy camera to learn to use and a lot of great information and help in the forum here also. As mentioned before, try to go to a shop that carrys the cameras and handle them and take a few shots. I would never buy a DSLR sight unseen and ergonomics and controls layout is important also.

10-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
Forum Member

You have to be conscious that you have to spend on lenses, so take that into account before spending everything on a body and accessories.
10-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Since you're still learning and you admit that a lot of this still baffles you, go for the KM or the K200D. All three will take great pictures, but the KM and K200D are aimed at people that just want to take nice photos, not experiment endlessly with the latest gadget.

You'll be taking great pictures sooner and more often with the KM or K200D, and you'll have some money left over for lenses. Once you find something that limits you on either of these cameras, you can move on to the newest/greatest.

BTW, I own the K20D and love it (it's a great camera). However, it's not newbie friendly. If I'd bought this as my first camera, I'd likely have gotten frustrated with all the myriad choices, and just muddled around (okay, I still muddle around). I started with the entry models and moved up. And I think I've enjoyed it more because of it.
10-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Most important question: what do you own now? Lenses?

If you prefer a small camera then the K-M.

If you don't mind a bigger camera and you would like to grow into technical features: k20

else something in between: k200.